PDA

View Full Version : What 2nd edition AD&D resources are available for a new DM?

realbombchu
2013-08-31, 08:58 PM
I've been a DM for a while, but I've only played 2nd edition AD&D three times, and all those times were almost fifteen years ago, so I don't know much about it. I have the three core books and a few smaller supplements (Arms and Equipment Guide, Complete Book of Elves, and Player's Guide to Greyhawk, for example), but I only have one adventure, and I'm pretty sure I'll need more than that if I'm going to convince my group to let me try this edition out with them.

Is there a website that you all use for adventures and game support? Is there a low-level adventure you can recommend? I'd prefer a website like Drive Thru RPG (just as an example), where I can purchase a copy as a PDF or something, but I admit that I don't know what's even out there, and my google-fu isn't the best.

Thanks for your help.

Lord Torath
2013-09-01, 08:08 AM
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/ is a great place to start. They have a bunch of adventures you can download for free, for a wide range of PC levels. Check out the sidebar on the far right.

When it comes to using modules, don't be afraid to use AD&D and D&D modules (published before 3.0 came out) in your 2nd Edition game. The AD&D ones can be imported directly, and the D&D modules only require a small amount of conversion work.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_modules) can help with descriptions of the modules, and you can probably find copies of them on Ebay (although you may need to be patient). You can probably find old copies on Amazon as well.

As far as a good starting module, that really depends on what world you are exploring. Greyhawk? Forgotten Realms? Mystara? DragonLance? Dark Sun? Ravenloft? I've always liked B2 - The Keep on the Borderlands, but that's a D&D module set in Mystara, and not an AD&D module.

realbombchu
2013-09-01, 11:47 AM
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/ is a great place to start. They have a bunch of adventures you can download for free, for a wide range of PC levels.

As far as a good starting module, that really depends on what world you are exploring. Greyhawk? Forgotten Realms? Mystara? DragonLance? Dark Sun? Ravenloft? I've always liked B2 - The Keep on the Borderlands, but that's a D&D module set in Mystara, and not an AD&D module.

Thanks for the great advice. I ran into dragonsfoot in my google searches, but I'd never heard anything about it, and I was hoping someone could vouche for it.

I like Dark Sun and some of Forgotten Realms. I know almost nothing about Mystara, Dragonlance, or Ravenloft, but I'll try to read about them on wikipedia. I would like to start in Greyhawk, however, because I've been reading some old books about the Greyhawk setting, and I like what I've read. Anything concerning the Suel Imperium, Hardby, the Scarlet Brotherhood, etc. would be great.

I'll check out the module you mentioned, though. At the very least, I'm sure it'll be a fun read. Thanks again.

Lord Torath
2013-09-01, 04:46 PM
You probably want to hold off on Dark Sun until you've got some experience under your belt. It's a great setting, and one of my favorites, but all the PCs (and most of the major NPCs) have a Psionic Wild Talent at the very least, so you need to be comfortable with The Complete Psionics Handbook, Dragon Kings, and The Will and The Way. You know, on top of all the other rules for 2nd Edition AD&D.

As far as adventuring in Greyhawk, I'm afraid I can't help you. I've never really done anything there. But I'm sure several other people here would have good suggestions.

Oh! And watch out for Complete Book of Elves. That book suffered a sever case of Power Creep. Be very careful what you allow from there.

realbombchu
2013-09-01, 06:57 PM
Oh! And watch out for Complete Book of Elves. That book suffered a sever case of Power Creep. Be very careful what you allow from there.

Thanks, I had a hunch that was the case with Complete Book of Elves, but wasn't sure because I don't really know what counts as powerful yet. I'll hold off on Dark Sun, too. I'm sure you're right about the extra rules.

And thanks again for that heads up about Keep on the Borderlands. I read through it today, and it looks like a good place to start.

Delvin Darkwood
2013-09-01, 07:15 PM
Seconding Dragonsfoot here, You really can't go wrong. I know theres a sourcebook for the scarlet brotherhood if you look around hard enough, the name always escapes me. Book of elves, and many of the other Complete books in general can be very tricky territory. Many of the kits can quickly unbalance a game, Book of Elves being the biggest scapegoat here. Take them lightly.
As for settings, for the love of Gygax don't send your players to Ravenloft unless you specifically want them to suffer. That place is terrifying, I've done my time there, and I have no intentions of going back. If you must however, Domains of Dread is a good book for Ravenloft.

realbombchu
2013-09-02, 06:05 PM
Seconding Dragonsfoot here, You really can't go wrong. I know theres a sourcebook for the scarlet brotherhood if you look around hard enough, the name always escapes me. Book of elves, and many of the other Complete books in general can be very tricky territory. Many of the kits can quickly unbalance a game, Book of Elves being the biggest scapegoat here. Take them lightly.
As for settings, for the love of Gygax don't send your players to Ravenloft unless you specifically want them to suffer. That place is terrifying, I've done my time there, and I have no intentions of going back. If you must however, Domains of Dread is a good book for Ravenloft.

Were you kidding about the name escaping you? Because I think the book is called The Scarlet Brotherhood, so that's kind of funny. I'll avoid Ravenloft. It's fantasy-horror, right? I don't handle scary stuff so well, so I think I'll give it a wide berth. Thanks for the advice.

I have another question. I notice that there aren't a lot of interaction nonweapon proficiencies (Etiquette and Heraldry, that's about it) or knowledge nonweapon proficiencies. What does a mage usually know how to do? I mean within the context of a wilderness game, if that helps.

MeeposFire
2013-09-02, 11:02 PM
Were you kidding about the name escaping you? Because I think the book is called The Scarlet Brotherhood, so that's kind of funny. I'll avoid Ravenloft. It's fantasy-horror, right? I don't handle scary stuff so well, so I think I'll give it a wide berth. Thanks for the advice.

I have another question. I notice that there aren't a lot of interaction nonweapon proficiencies (Etiquette and Heraldry, that's about it) or knowledge nonweapon proficiencies. What does a mage usually know how to do? I mean within the context of a wilderness game, if that helps.

Chances are think of your standard bookish scholar. Unless you study a subject relating to nature and the like your mage probably lacks too much much knowledge in the area. If that particular mage took an interest in nature then it is highly likely that he would know about a lot of things but may not be able to use it. For example he may know that you can start a fire with a pair of sticks but would be unable to duplicate the feat in practice. This example assumes he did not take the firebuilding prof or have a secondary skill in something like hunting which would make it likely you may know something.

hamlet
2013-09-03, 08:31 AM
Actually, in my campaigns at least, one of the biggest things that magic users know how to do that, oftentimes, many others do not is read: they are literate in a world where literacy is something of a luxury. Trust me, in my worlds, that's a big thing as, oftentimes, the group tries to keep the pasty faced, spoon chested, greasy know it all alive just so that he can read the clues carved into walls, the wanted posters with the PC's faces on them, or the random bits and pieces needing it from time to time.

Lord Torath
2013-09-03, 10:26 AM
Here's another good place where you can download some free 1st and 2nd Edition stuff. And don't worry; this is completely official and legal: WotC Downloads archive (http://web.archive.org/web/20040916023319/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads)

realbombchu
2013-09-04, 10:36 AM
Here's another good place where you can download some free 1st and 2nd Edition stuff. And don't worry; this is completely official and legal: WotC Downloads archive (http://web.archive.org/web/20040916023319/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads)

Thanks for this, I'll take a look.

About Reading/Writing, that's a good point. Spellcraft also makes sense as a proficiency to keep a mage around for, I guess.

Digitalelf
2013-09-04, 07:02 PM
If you have the money to spend as it can sometimes be fairly expensive on eBay, I cannot recommend the AD&D Core Rules CD-ROM (version 2.0 and the separate expansion disc) more highly. It is an invaluable tool for both DMs and Players using 2nd edition. If you have both discs, then you will have full access to twenty 2nd edition rulebooks (in RTF format); from the core rulebooks, to most of the various "Complete" books, to the optional "Player's Option" books - all with the "crunchy bits" (i.e. all of the pertinent game rules) already entered into the software's database. It is an older software title (released in 1998), but it can be (very easily) configured to run on later versions of Windows.

Also, I would suggest you try to pick up as many copies of Dungeon Magazine that you can. The last issue totally devoted to 2nd edition was issue #81.

If you are going to run anything set in Greyhawk, then you really should look into getting a copy of the (2nd edition) City of Greyhawk boxed set. I would also suggest that you find copies of the "Falcon Trilogy" of modules (Falcon's Revenge, Falconmaster. and Flames of the Falcon). They are for mid-level PCs, but they are a decent trilogy of modules. :smallsmile:

There were however, plenty of boxed sets, sourcebooks, and modules released for Greyhawk for 2nd edition. The stuff by Carl Sergeant was particularly good, and the later stuff by Rodger Moore, while good, wasn't as good as the earlier Sergeant books (at least IMHO)...

And lastly, Keep on the Borderlands was actually updated to 2nd edition in 1999. This updated version was a part of the 30th Anniversary. The updated module is called "Return to the Keep on the Borderlands".

realbombchu
2013-09-08, 01:43 PM
Thanks Digitalelf, great advice. I don't think I can part with the money for those cds right now, but I did find them on amazon, and I'll keep them in mind for later.

Thanks for the advice about authors and Return to the Keep, too. I'll check those out for sure.

Digitalelf
2013-09-08, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the advice about authors and Return to the Keep, too. I'll check those out for sure.

No problem... :smallbiggrin: Glad I could be of some help.

But yeah, definitely keep an eye out for the Core Rules (2.0) and the expansion. I was able to pick up both discs on eBay for $26, which included the cost of shipping; so deals can be found if you are patient enough... :smallsmile:

MtlGuy
2013-09-14, 08:27 PM
TSR published a LOT of books. Here are some ideas as to going about getting some without resorting to piracy.

1: Ebay is worth a look for old D&D books, (years ago I picked up a used 2ed Forgotten Realms campaign setting box set this way).

2: WotC also reprinted the 2ed PHB, DMG and MM somewhat recently so you may find them on store shelves.

3: Born in the '80s? In contact with some of your friends from high school, college or perhaps the military? Never hurts to ask if they've got some books cluttering up their storage spaces that they don't want.

4: Local library (you never know). Actually, even if they don't have TSR stuff, it's still a frick'in library, snag a book on Rome or Vikings or medieval castles for inspiration and level design.

Mutazoia
2013-09-16, 10:12 AM
Used book stores usually have a ton of 2nd Ed stuff pretty cheap. I also sent you a couple of links to try...

ken-do-nim
2013-09-16, 11:09 AM
I'm a Dragonsfoot regular and I can vouch for it as a great place to talk all TSR editions of D&D.