PDA

View Full Version : Wallpaper Discussion Thread

Skull the Troll
2013-08-31, 09:43 PM
In the Kickstarter summer wallpaper, it sure looks like V is wearing a female style swim suit with a skirt. Any thoughts?

Xianthe
2013-08-31, 09:46 PM
Love the new wallpaper. Had to open up a big file just to make sure I caught all the details.

DaggerPen
2013-08-31, 09:47 PM
They look more like shorts to me? I'm just surprised to see V wearing something so fitting in the chest area. I think the costume was intended to give mixed messages, as per usual.

TinyMushroom
2013-08-31, 09:50 PM
Actually, if you check out a larger version, you can see V's wearing some kind of skirty thingy over a striped wetsuity thingy, so nope :smalltongue:

Porthos
2013-08-31, 10:04 PM
Checking out Old Timey Bathing Suits, V is wearing a swimsuit that seems to be popular with men, but is wearing a skirt over it.

Thus, saying nothing. :smallwink:

Especially since there were women wearing striped suimsuits back in the day.

Sorry folks, nothing to see here*. :smalltongue:

* But a gorgeous wallpaper, of course. :smallwink:

Bird
2013-08-31, 10:06 PM
I adore everything about it...

The fact that Belkar is such a dude / bro, Hinjo as the goateed surfer, Mr. Scruffy making use of the giant litter box, Kazumi with her shoes in her hands, the Mechane advertising for Goblin Dan's...

Can anyone make out the logo on Thor's beer? Is it a Mjolnir?

NerdyKris
2013-08-31, 10:12 PM
Checking out Old Timey Bathing Suits, V is wearing a swimsuit that seems to be popular with men, but is wearing a skirt over it.

Thus, saying nothing. :smallwink:

Especially since there were women wearing striped suimsuits back in the day.

Sorry folks, nothing to see here*. :smalltongue:

* But a gorgeous wallpaper, of course. :smallwink:

Bingo. It's a portmanteau of the two old timey styles. So no revelation.

Yendor
2013-08-31, 10:13 PM

The fact that Belkar is such a dude / bro, Hinjo as the goateed surfer, Mr. Scruffy making use of the giant litter box, Kazumi with her shoes in her hands, the Mechane advertising for Goblin Dan's...

Scruffy's kicking sand in nerdy Blackwing's face. Roy's building a model of Dorukan's castle.

Porthos
2013-08-31, 10:14 PM

Blowing up the 3360x2100 version it looks to be a circle with a lightning bolt bisecting it. Little legs sticking out and the circle filled with blue. And a orange diagonal stripe going across from top of the can to the bottom, along with two very tiny orange rings.

Sadly I don't know much about beers to tell if it's a shoutout to anything or not.

ETA::: Actually could it be a riff on Pabst Blue Ribbon? If so that's... an interesting choice for Thor. :smalltongue:

AdmiralCheez
2013-08-31, 10:16 PM

Looks like it could be one of these: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2009/12/10/news/companies/pbr_pabst_blue_ribbon.fortune/pabst_beer.03.jpg

Porthos
2013-08-31, 10:17 PM
Looks like it could be one of these: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2009/12/10/news/companies/pbr_pabst_blue_ribbon.fortune/pabst_beer.03.jpg

That's exactly what I was thinking (see my edit).

AdmiralCheez
2013-08-31, 10:20 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking (see my edit).

Ah, I see that now. Well, good to know we're on the same page. And I agree, that is an odd choice for Thor, seen as this particular beer has a reputation for being not very good.

Porthos
2013-08-31, 10:24 PM
And I agree, that is an odd choice for Thor, seen as this particular beer has a reputation for being not very good.

Thor is apparently a hipster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pabst_Blue_Ribbon#Marketing_and_revival). Who knew? :smalltongue:

Well, there's also the Wisconsin/Nordic connection, but that's not nearly as fun. :smalltongue:

Jay R
2013-08-31, 10:28 PM
Until I saw Roy building the sand castle, I never connected his Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) with the elaborate castles he built with his brother.

ti'esar
2013-08-31, 10:33 PM
So no revelation.

Except that V likes old-timey swimsuits.

(Knew there'd be a thread like this the moment I saw the poster, although I wasn't sure which side would feel itself the one "proven" true).

CoffeeIncluded
2013-08-31, 10:34 PM
And V's swimsuit still leaves hir sex ambiguous.

oppyu
2013-08-31, 10:37 PM
Silly Daigo, O-Chul and Hinjo, everyone knows you don't wear shoes on the beach. Especially if you're surfing :smalleek:

Porthos
2013-08-31, 10:39 PM
I see no one has mentioned the... ahem... horseshoe crab. :smallsmile:

ETA:::: I just noticed what the style of print Durkon's Hawaiian Shirt is. :smallcool: :smallbiggrin:

ti'esar
2013-08-31, 10:43 PM

Mainly because it's impossible to see unless you zoom in closely. I love the detail on these wallpapers.

NerdyKris
2013-08-31, 10:46 PM
Mainly because it's impossible to see unless you zoom in closely. I love the detail on these wallpapers.

You know there's larger versions, right? It's pretty large and clear on those.

Gray Mage
2013-08-31, 10:50 PM
Is it just me or does V look like a pirate in this one? It's probably the bandana and the striped swimsuit.:smalltongue:

Edit: I also really like that Elan is sunburnt.

Mammal
2013-08-31, 10:53 PM
I don't know about any sex reveals, but it's nice to see Julia and unvamped Durkon again.

mattie_p
2013-08-31, 11:00 PM
... and the horseshoe crab. And the flumphs in the background.

Celia is wearing a more revealing outfit than most females.

But the most important part of this wallpaper is Mr. Scruffy kicking some sand. Because we all know what happens just before a cat kicks sand.

SarahV
2013-08-31, 11:03 PM
ETA:::: I just noticed what the style of print Durkon's Hawaiian Shirt is. :smallcool: :smallbiggrin:

Oh, I didn't catch that... that's great! I love how many little details get into these. And it's nice to see the flumphs not getting sat on, for once.

thatSeniorGuy
2013-08-31, 11:21 PM
Love the new wallpaper. Had to open up a big file just to make sure I caught all the details.

Ditto.

I grabbed a large version, and that was one of the first things I noticed :smallbiggrin:
Also love the Flumphs.

And V's swimsuit still leaves hir sex ambiguous.

Is it just me or does V look like a pirate in this one? It's probably the bandana and the striped swimsuit.:smalltongue:

For a minute I was thinking who in the Nine Hells is that pirate-looking guy; then I cottoned on.

Anatares
2013-09-01, 12:13 AM
I like how Elan is very obviously sunburnt, and Hinjo surfing, and O-Chul as the lifeguard, and Lien playing with her shark. Actually I like pretty much everything about the new wallpaper :smalltongue:

Tiiba
2013-09-01, 12:17 AM
I think Vaarsuvius is ?ale. That is, it's not that ?e doesn't have a sex, or that it is unknown, it's that you should just not be asking. It is not a matter of fact. It is determined by Rich, except that he does not intend to determine it. You could ask, for instance: what was the name of the roaring goblin from strip #1? He certainly had a name. It was ?.

kxm
2013-09-01, 12:55 AM

Yeah, when I first saw it I was wondering who the pirate guy was. Thought it was some obscure character from SoD I didn't know about or something.

Tock Zipporah
2013-09-01, 01:00 AM
May I just say, Celia in a bikini... ROWR! *drools*

Cavenskull
2013-09-01, 01:18 AM
I think Vaarsuvius is ?ale. That is, it's not that ?e doesn't have a sex, or that it is unknown, it's that you should just not be asking. It is not a matter of fact. It is determined by Rich, except that he does not intend to determine it. You could ask, for instance: what was the name of the roaring goblin from strip #1? He certainly had a name. It was ?.
Normally I hate non-standard replacements for he/she, but I have to admit I find "?e" rather amusing.

factotum
2013-09-01, 01:27 AM
My favourite bit is Lien playing ball in the water with her shark, myself, but the horseshoe crab is definitely a close second. I guess it doesn't come as much of a surprise that Julia is the sort of person who sits and reads under an umbrella at the beach--one wonders why she bothered going at all! :smallwink:

Bird
2013-09-01, 01:33 AM
My favourite bit is Lien playing ball in the water with her shark, myself, but the horseshoe crab is definitely a close second. I guess it doesn't come as much of a surprise that Julia is the sort of person who sits and reads under an umbrella at the beach--one wonders why she bothered going at all! :smallwink:
I love Razor with the beach ball on his nose, too.

Actually, that surprised me about Julia -- she always seemed more of a party girl to me. I suppose she's reading alone because nobody there is cool enough to hang out with. (I mean, really -- her brother? The flumphs?)

homeslice
2013-09-01, 01:37 AM
I can't decide what I like the most: the callback to Goblin Dan's with the mechane or Thor grilling and having himself a brewski.

Soylent Dave
2013-09-01, 02:52 AM
As you can see, both male:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/tonguello/Victorian%20Swimsuits/girls3.jpg

and female:

http://www.fashion-era.com/images/Edwds1890-1915/beauties.jpg

Victorian-Edwardian swimwear aren't necessarily distinguishable from one another.

(I quite like the idea that Elves are quite old-fashioned when it comes to swimwear / fashion, though...)

Sniffnoy
2013-09-01, 03:13 AM
I'm confused -- where's Julia in the picture? I don't see her.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, I see now. She's only in the wider versions.

The Succubus
2013-09-01, 04:39 AM
Horseshoe crab - as puns go, that was terrible, Giant, even by the standards of this place. :smalltongue:

Nightmarenny
2013-09-01, 04:52 AM
The giant isn't going to accidentally reveal V's gender. If your argument for V's gender being one or the other involves Giant giving it away accidentally you should just dismiss it.

When its time, if its ever time, we will know for sure that V's gender has been revealed.

Estelindis
2013-09-01, 05:31 AM
It looks like Roy is building a sandy version of the Dungeon of Dorukan. :smallsmile:

glowface
2013-09-01, 05:44 AM
Oh, I just found Banjo has a little bucket of sand and a spade... probably buildin his very own little valhalla, or something.

Iferus
2013-09-01, 06:31 AM
So who's the mage battling the elemental?

Kish
2013-09-01, 07:01 AM
So who's the mage battling the elemental?
Yeah, it totally feels like we should know her. Or him, as the case may be.

Some elf or other? In love with the sound of his (or her) own voice? Might have committed mass murder at some point?

oppyu
2013-09-01, 07:03 AM
Yeah, it totally feels like we should know her. Or him, as the case may be.

Some elf or other? In love with the sound of his (or her) own voice? Might have committed mass murder at some point?

I know Team Peregrine Commander killed quite a few goblins, but I'm not sure they were in love with their own voice. Also, I don't think s/he was a mage.

tassaron
2013-09-01, 07:53 AM
Every time I see a thread about V's gender, a part of my soul dies. :smallannoyed:

That being said, I thought the dress from the phantasm (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0888.html) was more gendered than this bizarre swimsuit. :smallconfused:

Kish
2013-09-01, 07:56 AM
That being said, I thought the dress from the phantasm (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0888.html) was more gendered than this bizarre swimsuit. :smallconfused:
Vaarsuvius isn't actually in the phantasm, so that would just say what Roy, Haley, and Elan lean toward thinking Vaarsuvius is.

littlebum2002
2013-09-01, 08:57 AM
Is "Goblin Dan" the guy who opened the hydra BBQ hut?

EDIT: Yes, he is! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html)

hoff
2013-09-01, 10:40 AM
Its my belief that elfs have several phases in their lives, a dedicated female one, a dedicated male one and an androgynous one. That explain the elves with clearly defined sexes.

Or maybe they can change their sex at will or choose which sex they will develop at a certain age.

SaintRidley
2013-09-01, 10:48 AM
Perhaps V is an old fashioned elf and this "expressing gender" thing is a newfangled fad the elvish kids have started in the last forty years.

Procyonpi
2013-09-01, 01:02 PM
I love the horseshoe crab. Although Durkon is being awfully negligent about the palm tree division.

Tock Zipporah
2013-09-01, 01:50 PM
Its my belief that elfs have several phases in their lives, a dedicated female one, a dedicated male one and an androgynous one. That explain the elves with clearly defined sexes.

Or maybe they can change their sex at will or choose which sex they will develop at a certain age.

That's actually literally the plot of this book:

http://books.google.com/books/about/Commitment_Hour.html?id=LM0FDFvoGUcC

People change from male to female every year until they reach adulthood. It's a fascinating story.

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-01, 02:30 PM
Durkon Thundershirt?

Porthos
2013-09-01, 02:34 PM
Durkon Thundershirt?

*inserts pic of Orson Welles Slow Clap*

Arcanist
2013-09-01, 03:27 PM
This does make me wonder how Xykon and Redcloak spend their summers... :smallconfused:

Meh, Xykon is probably in his totally sweet set up on the Astral Plane watching the most evil thing imaginable: Children getting sacrificed before the alter of an evil god dead set on the obliteration of all sentient life Day time television.

Aolbain
2013-09-01, 03:38 PM
V's sex will never be revealed.

Turgon9357
2013-09-01, 04:33 PM
Is Hinjo wearing a speedo?

RMS Oceanic
2013-09-01, 04:40 PM
In addition to the above approvals, I like how Elan is pinker than Haley, like he's a bit sunburnt.

gallagher
2013-09-01, 06:39 PM
Roy displaying his knowledge (architecture and engineering) skill

137beth
2013-09-01, 07:25 PM
Wait, you think you can determine someone's sex based on their clothing?!? Really?

SavageWombat
2013-09-01, 09:26 PM
Wait, you think you can determine someone's sex based on their clothing?!? Really?

It worked in the Crying Game, right?

JT
2013-09-01, 11:31 PM
V's sex will never be revealed.

But Hinjo's junk is right out there for everyone to stare at.

DaggerPen
2013-09-01, 11:34 PM

Well, you can generally get a pretty good sense from all but the most androgynous clothing, though of course trans* people will frequently take efforts to present as the sex more commonly associated with their gender (unless they're nonbinary, in which case they'll tend to strive for any combination of mixed messages or plain old androgyny, or mix it up depending on their mood). Drag shows and other forms of crossdressing of course muddy the waters a bit, too, but those tend to have clear situational markers. Still, for most intents and purposes, swimsuit fashion will give a pretty good indication of the sex a person is presenting as.

:smalltongue:

dtilque
2013-09-02, 01:49 AM
I like how Elan is very obviously sunburnt, and Hinjo surfing, and O-Chul as the lifeguard, and Lien playing with her shark. Actually I like pretty much everything about the new wallpaper :smalltongue:

My favorite part is Thor barbequeing.... I wonder what he has on the grill ... Throw another shrimp on the barbie ... Those aren't Shrimp, they're Dwarves....

Durkon is totally outmatched in volleyball by Belkar. He needs to play against some ogres (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0219.html)...

The Succubus
2013-09-02, 03:18 AM
But Hinjo's junk is right out there for everyone to stare at.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

Socratov
2013-09-02, 03:18 AM
well, I propese we give V Schroedinger's gender: both male and female, until proven otherwise

gerryq
2013-09-02, 06:06 AM
http://books.google.com/books/about/Commitment_Hour.html?id=LM0FDFvoGUcC

People change from male to female every year until they reach adulthood.

Nah - every second year!

JennTora
2013-09-02, 08:20 AM
Even if it was a chick's swimsuit... Um... crossdressers... yeah.

Jajama
2013-09-02, 10:12 AM
Second the notion that we don't have to stick to a heteronormative binary.

After all, the elf could be secretly or openly fey.

littlebum2002
2013-09-02, 01:01 PM
Second the notion that we don't have to stick to a heteronormative binary.

After all, the elf could be secretly or openly fey.

I hope this doesn't expose huge ignorance on my part, but what is fey?

137beth
2013-09-02, 01:56 PM
I hope this doesn't expose huge ignorance on my part, but what is fey?

It's a pun.
In fantasy, "fey" frequently refers to a type of magical creatures sometimes associated with the forest (and possibly elves, depending on the source).

But "fey" rhymes with "gay", so V could be secretly or openly gay/fey.

mattie_p
2013-09-02, 08:14 PM
It's a pun.
In fantasy, "fey" frequently refers to a type of magical creatures sometimes associated with the forest (and possibly elves, depending on the source).

But "fey" rhymes with "gay", so V could be secretly or openly gay/fey.

Fey is also (generally) equivalent to faerie, which is a homonym of a derogatory term used (at least in America) for homosexuals and other non-heterosexuals. I'd recommend against pursuing this line of thought, though.

littlebum2002
2013-09-02, 08:49 PM
The recent wallpaper which, undoubtedly, graces many of our phones and computers, raises many questions, such as:

Is this volleyball net absurdly short, or is Belkar using an illegal PER (performance-enhancing ring)?

Is V wearing an old-timey swimsuit? Isn't that very appropriate? Does it have... A SKIRT? Does that make V a woman, or a man who just likes skirts? Since this is 100% canon, how does this impact V's gender in the strip?

Since, again, this is 100% canon, why is Durkon back? Was it all a dream? Or does that volleyball have special powers to revert vampires?

Is Hinjo really wearing a speedo? After all, Elan's suit has legs while Hinjo's does not. Would a paladin be allowed to show that much skin?

What is Thor grilling? What is he drinking? A pilsner perhaps? Or a fruity wheat beer?

What is blackwing reading?

Is Mr. Scruffy doing what I think he's doing?

Is Roy using his ranks in knowledge (architecture and engineering) to make that killer sandcastle?

Will people think I'm weird because my wallpaper contains a stick figure in a string bikini?

Can we make fun of people who have iPhones, since they can't have the full wallpaper? Or do iPhone users suffer enough already?

Will they, in fact, eat at Goblin Dan's? Is Hydra head tasty? Is it high in saturated fat?

These questions, and more, will be answered.... in this thread!

The Giant
2013-09-02, 08:59 PM
Merging the Wallpaper Discussion Thread post with the V's Sex Revealed thread that was, for all intents and purposes, a wallpaper discussion thread.

DolGrenn
2013-09-02, 09:15 PM
I like how O-Chul still has the scars he earned "one saving throw at a time" :smallbiggrin:.

At least if he has to save somebody from a shark, it won't be acid-breathing this time!

littlebum2002
2013-09-02, 09:33 PM
Thanks Giant. I didn't want to create a redundant thread, but that one was technically about "V's gender", so I didn't know what to do....

dtilque
2013-09-02, 10:49 PM
Mr Scruffy is just kicking sand in the face of his archenemy. Nothing to do with using the litter box at all. Note that he's using his rear paws to do the sand kicking. If you've ever observed a cat using the litter box, you would know that they use their front paws for that.

I'm rather disappointed with Thor's choice of beverage. You'd think he's quaff the finest Dwarven ale, not some cheap American macrobeer.

Jay R
2013-09-03, 10:35 PM
Someday there will be a great trivia question: What was Roy doing when Vaarsuvius first attacked the Silicon Elemental?

Regardless of what happens in the strip, the answer, of course, is "building a sand castle".

littlebum2002
2013-09-04, 09:36 AM
Mr Scruffy is just kicking sand in the face of his archenemy. Nothing to do with using the litter box at all. Note that he's using his rear paws to do the sand kicking. If you've ever observed a cat using the litter box, you would know that they use their front paws for that.

I'm rather disappointed with Thor's choice of beverage. You'd think he's quaff the finest Dwarven ale, not some cheap American macrobeer.

Yeah, I haven't. I have a dog, and they use their rear legs for that sort of thing, so I assumed cats did as well.

I never looked to hard at Thor's beer until you mentioned it, so I zoomed in and saw it was Pabst. So apparently Thor is the Deity of frat guys?

Spoomeister
2013-09-04, 04:25 PM
The giant isn't going to accidentally reveal V's gender. If your argument for V's gender being one or the other involves Giant giving it away accidentally you should just dismiss it.

When its time, if its ever time, we will know for sure that V's gender has been revealed.

I really don't get the confusion about V's gender. Roy refers to him as "V-Man" as early as Strip 9 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html).

Sky_Schemer
2013-09-04, 04:29 PM
I really don't get the confusion about V's gender. Roy refers to him as "V-Man" as early as Strip 9 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html).

That is not evidence. That is one character's best guess about V's gender. Rich has come out and explicitly said that any time a character refers to V's gender, that is their interpretation of V's gender and nothing more. He also has made some comments about this strip in particular (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11094344#post11094344).

Presumably, the only character in the strip that might definitively know V's gender is Haley (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html), and so far she's not said anything on the subject. (Well, V's ex-spouse would know, too, of course.)

Spoomeister
2013-09-04, 04:40 PM
Rich has come out and explicitly said that any time a character refers to V's gender, that is their interpretation of V's gender and nothing more. He also has made some comments about this strip in particular (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11094344#post11094344).

Thanks for digging that out. Sounds good to me.

Even though the join date on my account says '08, I've been the most active only recently, and am kind of late to the party on a bunch of things.

SavageWombat
2013-09-04, 05:53 PM
Celia should totally show up for the grand finale wearing that bikini. Possibly waving a checkered flag.

MtlGuy
2013-09-24, 05:12 PM
Can't believe I only noticed this last weekend. I Absolutely love it, but I'm not sure I want to change my wallpaper from the other one "No encounters today."

Will this be available in poster form at some point? I've got a hallway I'd like to fill with OOTS art.

Draz74
2013-09-30, 04:01 PM
FLUMPH FRISBEE. Want. To. Play.

Wouldn't mind eating a ThorBurger afterwards, either.

Otomodachi
2013-10-01, 05:25 PM
Just wanna throw out there that the final panel of 922, where Belkar is riding the T. Rex, would be an AMAZING wallpaper.

Cicciograna
2013-10-01, 05:49 PM
Just a couple of answers.

Is this volleyball net absurdly short, or is Belkar using an illegal PER (performance-enhancing ring)?

Belkar has a Ring of Jumping, after all :smallbiggrin:

Is V wearing an old-timey swimsuit? Isn't that very appropriate? Does it have... A SKIRT? Does that make V a woman, or a man who just likes skirts? Since this is 100% canon, how does this impact V's gender in the strip?
Given that Elves have a longer lifespan than other races, probabily that swimsuit was the ultimate in fashion last time V went to sea. About 80 years ago.

Is Hinjo really wearing a speedo? After all, Elan's suit has legs while Hinjo's does not. Would a paladin be allowed to show that much skin?
Full nudity surely is Chaotic, capital C, but I think speedos fall under the jurisdiction of Neutrality :smallbiggrin:

What is blackwing reading?
My bet is on Systema Naturae by Carl Linnaeus.

Will people think I'm weird because my wallpaper contains a stick figure in a string bikini?
The hotness content of stick figures is higher than one could reasonabily expect. Would you think someone having a hot chick in bikini as wallpaper is weird? :smallwink:

Just wanna throw out there that the final panel of 922, where Belkar is riding the T. Rex, would be an AMAZING wallpaper.
Seconded.

NerdyKris
2013-10-01, 05:57 PM
Full nudity surely is Chaotic, capital C, but I think speedos fall under the jurisdiction of Neutrality :smallbiggrin:

Assigning moral values to the display of skin is a purely personal/cultural issue. It is not inherently chaotic, evil, non lawful, whatever, to be partially unclothed or even nude.

hagnat
2013-10-01, 10:34 PM
i want a wallpaper featuring belkar riding the alossaur :D
dont forget about the wall of fire and the goons being eaten

Cicciograna
2013-10-02, 02:31 AM
Assigning moral values to the display of skin is a purely personal/cultural issue. It is not inherently chaotic, evil, non lawful, whatever, to be partially unclothed or even nude.

I was obviously joking, and trying to explain what a Paladin would think.
I even put the smallbiggrin face.

ti'esar
2013-10-02, 02:47 AM
I was obviously joking, and trying to explain what a Paladin would think.
I even put the smallbiggrin face.

Except that a paladin wouldn't necessarily think that. Rich has even made something of a point of this in the comic (as well as its opposite).

F.Harr
2013-10-03, 10:38 AM
I just want to say that the horseshoe crab pun was something I really enjoyed.