PDA

View Full Version : [PF] The Fool 0(PEACH)

shatterspike1
2013-08-31, 10:39 PM
A few words beforehandWith this class, I was attempting to
a) base a class and its abilities entirely on the Major Arcana of the Tarot Deck and
b) hit tier one with said abilities
Unfortunately, I think I may have hit a little bit above Tier one, which is... bad. I would appreciate both criticisms regarding flavor and mechanics.

The Fool

The Fool is almost a much an archetypal story as it is a class. The Fool, knowing nothing, begins a journey that ends with fulfillment and transcendence. A few people, whether by choice or by simple happenstance, begin to walk the path of the original Fool. Although few reach the end, those that see the journey through find power they never imagined.

Background: Fools may come from any number of backgrounds, although most are relatively uneducated or poor. This does not necessarily mean they are stupid, just that they happen to know very little most often.

Races: Fools come from humans more often than not. Halfings and gnomes also often make good fools. Few elves or dwarves are fools, being older and wiser but often locked into their views. Half-elves, on the other hand, often find it fairly natural to walk the path of The Fool.

Other Classes: Few classes work well with the odd path of The Fool.

Roles: The Fool may perform many roles, but is exceptional at supporting his allies with his abilities and casting the odd spell. The Fool can perform as a front-liner, although it is not recommended.

Alignment: Any non-lawful, non-evil.

Hit Dice: d6.

Starting Wealth: 2d6 x 10 gp (average 70 GP).

Class Skills

The Fool's class skills are Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Fly (Dex), Handle Animal (Cha), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table: The Fool

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st
+0
+0
+2
+2
The Magician I, The High Priestess II

2nd
+1
+0
+3
+3
The Empress III, Minor Arcana I

3rd
+2
+1
+3
+3
The Emperor IV

4th
+3
+1
+4
+4
The Hierophant V

5th
+3
+1
+4
+4
The Lovers VI

6th
+4
+2
+5
+5
The Chariot VII

7th
+5
+2
+5
+5
Strength VIII, Minor Arcana II

8th
+6/+1
+2
+6
+6
The Hermit IX

9th
+7/+2
+3
+6
+6
Wheel of Fortune X

10th
+8/+3
+3
+7
+7
Justice XI

11th
+9/+4
+3
+7
+7
The Hanged Man XII

12th
+10/+5
+4
+8
+8
Death XIII, Minor Arcana III

13th
+11/+6/+1
+4
+8
+8
Temperance XIV

14th
+12/+7/+2
+4
+9
+9
The Devil XV

15th
+13/+8/+3
+5
+9
+9
The Tower XVI

16th
+14/+9/+4
+5
+10
+10
The Star XVII

17th
+15/+10/+5
+5
+10
+10
The Moon XVIII, Minor Arcana IV

18th
+16/+11/+6/+1
+6
+11
+11
The Sun XIX

19th
+17/+12/+7/+2
+6
+11
+11
Judgement XX

20th
+18/+13/+8/+3
+6
+12
+12
The World XXI

Class Features

The following are the class features of The Fool.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency
Fools are proficient with all simple weapons and light armor. In addition, The Fool does not suffer from arcane spell failure chance while wearing light armor.

The Magician I
The Fool may emulate the arcane powers of the wizard through an innate sense of the mystic. Once per day, The Fool may cast any wizard spell as if he were a wizard of equal level. He may only cast spells a wizard of his level would be able to cast, so only first level spells and cantrips are avaliable at 1st level, second level spells at 3rd level, and so on. The Fool uses his Charisma score as his casting stat instead of his Intelligence. At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, The Fool gains an additional use of this ability per day.

The High Priestess II
The Fool may emulate the divine powers of the cleric, as if the universe was protecting him. Once per day, The Fool may cast any cleric spell as if he were a cleric of equal level. He may only cast spells a cleric of his level would be able to cast, so only first level spells and orisons are available at 1st level, second level spells at 3rd level, and so on. The Fool uses his Wisdom score as his casting stat. At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, The Fool gains an additional use of this ability per day.

The Empress III (Su)
At 2nd level, The Fool opens himself to life-giving force. For a number of times per day equal His Wisdom modifier + his Charisma modifier, the fool may heal 5 + 1/2 his class level in the hit points of any creature he touches. The energy used in this is regarded as positive energy. This effect simply fails on unwilling creatures, such as undead who may be harmed by it.

Minor Arcana
At 2nd level and every five levels thereafter, The Fool gains access to a new Minor Arcana ability of his choice. These abilities are listed below.

Cups I (Su)
The Fool may, as a standard action, grant all allies within 30 feet of him Fast Healing 2 for a number of rounds equal to his class level per day. These rounds may be split up as The Fool sees fit, and don't need to be spent all in one go.

Coins I (Su)
The Fool may, as a standard action, create any item worth no more than 1 GP once per day. This item is something that The Fool "forgot" he had and remembers he possesses now. Obviously, this ability may not create precious items, but it may create items such as keys.

Wands I (Ex)
The Fool may, in response to a failed saving throw of any sort, give himself a +2 bonus on saving throws until the beginning of his next turn. This bonus also applies to the failed saving throw.

Swords I (Ex)
The Fool may, as an immediate action, grant himself a +2 bonus on all attack rolls he makes until the beginning of his next turn.

Cups II (Su)
The Fool may, as a standard action, project a Magic Circle Against Evil outward around him for a number of minutes per day equal to his class level. These minutes may be split up as The Fool sees fit, and don't need to be spent all in one go. The Fool must be at least 7th level to take this ability.

Coins II (Ex)
The Fool gains Damage Reduction 1/–. The Fool must be at least 7th level to take this ability.

Wands II (Ex)
The Fool gains a permanent untyped +1 bonus to all saving throws. The Fool must be at least 7th level to take this ability.

Swords II (Su)
Whenever The Fool successfully hits with any attack, he may deal 1d6 fire damage to the target. The Fool must be at least 7th level to take this ability.

Cups III (Su)
Once per day as a swift action, The Fool may heal an ally within 60 feet as per the spell Heal. The Fool must be at least 12th level to take this ability.

Coins III (Ex)
Increase The Fool's hit die to a d10, do not reroll hp. Instead, grant The Fool two additional maximum hit points for every level they did not possess this ability. The Fool must be at least 12th level to take this ability.

Wands III (Ex)
Once per day, if The Fool would be reduced to 0 HP or below, he is instead reduced to 1 HP and becomes immune to damage until the beginning of his next turn. The Fool must be at least 12th level to take this ability.

Swords III (Ex)
The Fool gains a permanent +2 untyped bonus to all Attack and Damage rolls. The Fool must be at least 12th level to take this ability.

Cups IV (Su)
Once per day, as a standard action, The Fool may create a Tsunami, as per the spell, with the exceptions that allies that are hit by the wave are healed by the damage rolled instead of damaged by the wave and ignore the other negative effects of being hit by the wave. The Fool must be at least 17th level to take this ability.

Coins IV (Su)
Once per day, as a standard action, The Fool gains complete mastery over his physical form. He is affected as per the spell Shapechange, in addition, the effects of the Regenerate spell are applied to him at the beginning of his turn every round he is under the effects of this ability. This effect lasts for 20 rounds. The Fool must be at least 17th level to take this ability.

Wands IV (Su)
Once per day, as a standard action, The Fool unleashes the absolute creative power of the cosmos. The Fool brings in an Elemental Swarm with Air Elementals, and gains the ability to reposition them once per round as a free or immediate action. This effect lasts for 20 rounds. The Fool must be at least 17th level to take this ability.

Swords IV (Su)
Once per day, as a standard action, The Fool gains complete destructive power. He is affected as if by the spell Fiery Body, in addition, for every round he is under the effects of this ability, he may create a Meteor Swarm as a standard action. This effect lasts for 20 rounds. The Fool must be at least 17th level to take this ability.

The Emperor IV (Sp)
At 3rd level, The Fool feels the voice of command awaken within him. The Fool gains the spell ability Command as an at-will spell-like ability with a caster level equal to his level in The Fool. The save DC is Charisma based.

The Hierophant V (Ex)
At 4th level, The Fool comes to understand the structures of belief and knowledge around him. Add all knowledge skills to The Fool's class skill list.

The Lovers VI (Sp)
At 5th level, The Fool gains the ability to protect those he cares about. He gains Protection from Evil as an at-will spell-like ability with a caster level equal to his level in The Fool.

The Chariot VII (Ex)
At 6th level, The Fool has an increased desire to succeed. He gains a +1 Morale bonus to all saves. This bonus increases to +2 at 16th level.

Strength VIII (Ex)
At 7th level, The Fool gains strength of a martial kind. The Fool becomes proficient with all martial weapons and medium armor, as well as reducing the arcane spell failure chance from medium armor he wears by 20%. The Fool's base attack bonus increases to full progression, as noted by the progression in the table.

The Hermit IX (Sp)
At 8th level, The Fool isolates himself, unseen by others. Once per day, he may use Improved Invisibility as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to his level in The Fool.

Wheel of Fortune X (Su)
At 9th level, The Fool gains some power over his fate. Once per day, he may reroll any die roll he has made before the results of the roll are revealed. He must accept the new roll, even if the results are worse. At 15th level, he gain the ability to use this power an additional time per day.

Justice XI (Su)
At 10th level, The Fool gains the power to level the figurative playing field. Once per day, The Fool may grant negative levels to all enemies with more hit dice than The Fool that are within 400 feet of him. These enemies gain negative levels equal to Enemy Hit Dice - Your level in The Fool. A will save negates these negative levels, its DC equal to 10 + 1/2 The Fool level + wisdom modifier.

The Hanged Man XII (Su)
At 11th level, The Fool begins on his path of Transcendence. For 3+Wisdom modifier rounds per day, The Fool gains a fly speed of 60 feet with good maneuverability and Fast Healing equal to his Charisma modifier. This fast healing is special in that if it would heal the Fool over his maximum hit points, the amount that would be healed over his maximum hit points is instead converted into temporary hit points. If The Fool is still flying when this ability ends, he falls to the ground as if affected by feather fall. The temporary hit points remain for one minute per level of The Fool.

Death XIII (Ex)
At 12th level, The Fool acquires a permanent change of an odd sort. The Fool gains a feat of his choosing, provided he meets the prerequisites. Once per day, The Fool may trade in that particular feat for a different feat, provided he meets the prerequisites of the new feat after trading in the current one.

Temperance XIV (Ex)
At 13th level, The Fool balances his mind. He gains an immunity to anything that affects emotion, such as Fear effects. This immunity is optional on The Fool's part, and he may retract it if he wishes to be affected by something.

The Devil XV (Ex)
At 14th level, The Fool learns to escape imprisonment and bondage. He becomes immune to Charms and Compulsions, as well as gaining a +8 morale bonus on all Escape Artist checks he makes.

The Tower XVI (Su)
At 15th level, The Fool extends his powers of fate manipulation to others. As an immediate action, he may cause a creature to re-roll a roll they have made before the results are revealed. They may make a will save to resist this effect, DC 10+ 1/2 your class level + your Charisma modifier. This ability may only affect each creature once per day, whether or not they failed the save.

The Star XVII (Su)
At 16th level, The Fool begins to fill his allies with hope. All of The Fool's allies within 100 feet of The Fool gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and all checks and saves. This bonus does not affect The Fool himself.

The Moon XVIII (Sp)
At 17th level, The Fool unlocks the true power of his imagination. He gains Mirage Arcana, Shadow Evocation, and Shadow Conjuration as at-will spell-like abilities with a caster level equal to his level in The Fool. The DC's are Charisma based.

The Sun XIX (Sp)
At 18th level, The Fool opens up the power of the sun. He gains Flame Strike, Daylight, and Sunburst as at-will spell-like abilities with a caster level equal to his level in The Fool. The DC's are Wisdom based.

Judgement XX (Su)
At 19th level, The Fool and his allies have been judged... and found worthy. Once per day as a free action, The Fool may grant himself and all of his allies within 400 feet of himself a +4 bonus to attack and damage rolls, checks, and saves, as well as 30 temporary hit points and flight with perfect maneuverability. This ability lasts for one minute per class level The Fool possesses.

The World XXI (Su)
At 20th level, The Fool is truly transcendent. He and the World work as if one, and he is a fool no longer. He may, as a standard action, travel anywhere he has a clear idea of, including locations in other planes. If he does not have a clear idea of a destination, he appears somewhere within 100 miles of his destination. In addition, once per month, if The Fool is killed, he is resurrected as per True Resurrection one round later.

Jyton
2013-09-01, 01:38 AM
This is spectacular. Ridiculously overpowered, but awesome, thematically. I'm posting on my phone, I'll put together an analysis when I get home, but for now, /subscribe.

urkthegurk
2013-09-02, 09:23 PM
I agree. Super awesome

shatterspike1
2013-11-05, 11:57 AM
I am performing thread necromancy due a request for some amount of thread necromancy. In the interest of not making this post content free, some things I'm thinking of: I'd like to make a lot of these abilities more unique feeling than just good old fashioned spell-likes. Sure, a lot of these you can do at will, but spellcasters can cast them as well. I would rather some of the later abilities be slightly less powerful, but more flavorful. Still need to bring it down half a tier.

Rebonack
2013-11-05, 01:54 PM
If you're worried about power I think the easiest part of the kit you can tone down are the Skill Points, the Hit Die, and the BAB.

Why would a Fool have such high skill growth if their background basically pegs them as a peasant as per your description? Why would they be so hearty and proficient in combat? Dropping them down to Wizard levels on those aspects would be a pretty major ding to their early game, but isn't that the flavor of the class? They start out really weak and become godlike by end-game.

Razanir
2013-11-05, 02:00 PM
I am performing thread necromancy due a request for some amount of thread necromancy. In the interest of not making this post content free, some things I'm thinking of: I'd like to make a lot of these abilities more unique feeling than just good old fashioned spell-likes. Sure, a lot of these you can do at will, but spellcasters can cast them as well. I would rather some of the later abilities be slightly less powerful, but more flavorful. Still need to bring it down half a tier.

It's not actually thread necro. In the Homebrew forum (and only the Homebrew forum), the OP (and only the OP) can ignore thread necro rules.

Afool
2013-11-05, 07:47 PM
I don't have much time to post so I will be brief.

To bring down the power level (and make it slightly less ridiculous :smallwink:) I think that you might want to turn some of the at-will abilities into scaling per-day (Su).

Perhaps the Fool's abilities could be split into scaling choices that he could choose from (each Arcana would be a Path that allows the Fool to gain themed abilities* as he levels, but the Fool can only select a new Path every so often, or perhaps can only choose to use so many Paths a day).

*I'm not as familiar with the various Arcana as I'd like, but I know that they can have quite layered meanings.

Just a thought. (Now back to the essay I need to write :smallsigh:)

urkthegurk
2013-11-05, 08:02 PM
Or throw in some Minor Arcana, so they get weaker, versatile abilities later on. Cook up some other abilities for the smaller numbers... like Create Water for the Two of Cups.

Then you could have them pick Ace of Swords, Ace of Wands, etc, for things like Damage Reduction (vs Slashing and Peircing) for swords, Spell Resistence for Pentacles (or Magic Circle against Evil?), Immunity to Subdual and Bludgeoning damage for Rods, aaand, I don't know, being able to go without eating, breathing, drinking or sleeping for Cups. Have it so they can pick one or two, but not all of them.

shatterspike1
2013-11-06, 01:19 PM
I've edited the class somewhat, decreased the hit die from a d8 to a d6, decreased the base attack bonus to 3/4ths for the first 6 levels (the resulting progression ends up fairly odd, due to the Strength changes), and most notably, introduced Minor Arcana. Those late level effects are anything but minor, though. I made the decision to leave skill points where they are, because Int is probably a Fool's best candidate for a dump stat (They're more MAD than other Tier 1, even if that's only a need for both a good Wisdom and Charisma), and having two extra skill points has never upset the balance of a campaign dramatically. I'm not about to pretend the Minor Arcana I've introduced are balanced against each other, I'm hoping to hammer the balance finer a bit later. I've also corrected an enormous amount of spelling errors that somehow snaked their way into the damn thing.