PDA

View Full Version : Magic armor abilities on clothing?

Yogibear41
2013-09-01, 02:10 AM
Can abilities that are normally placed on magic armor be placed on clothing? I seem to remember this being a yes, but can't seem to find it in the rules off hand atm.

Say a Monk or a wizard wants 10 points of Acid Resistance but does not want to where armor, can that ability be placed on his normal clothing? If so does it still need the +1 enhancement bonus placed on it before hand?

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-01, 02:15 AM
Can abilities that are normally placed on magic armor be placed on clothing? I seem to remember this being a yes, but can't seem to find it in the rules off hand atm.

Say a Monk or a wizard wants 10 points of Acid Resistance but does not want to where armor, can that ability be placed on his normal clothing? If so does it still need the +1 enhancement bonus placed on it before hand?

The first issue is you can only enchant masterwork armor. Clothing isn't masterwork. I know pathfinder has rules that let you give bracers of armor special abilities and I recall them for third edition but not where.

JusticeZero
2013-09-01, 02:24 AM
Why can't a finely tailored outfit of the sturdiest and finest fabric be masterwork? You could even call it a tool for social skills or something like that, and tools can be MW..

Platymus Pus
2013-09-01, 02:40 AM
I've seen someone have a +3 shirt somehow.
Don't know if it was homebrew though.:smallconfused:

Hytheter
2013-09-01, 04:17 AM
You know, I'd probably allow it just because it's too hilarious not to. A +3 Flame resistant T-Shirt? Incredible.

2xMachina
2013-09-01, 04:31 AM
Isn't there magic robes? I think you can place magic armor enchantment on them. Probably MiC with rules for that.

PrinceOfMadness
2013-09-01, 04:38 AM
There are robes and vests in MiC. I would allow magic to be applied to clothing, though it might be advisable to tack on a surcharge (for masterworking it) since clothing tends to be fairly inexpensive compared to armor.

PersonMan
2013-09-01, 04:46 AM
After level 3 or so, the ~100 GP between mwk clothes and mwk armor makes basically no difference.

Ashtagon
2013-09-01, 04:49 AM
You know, I'd probably allow it just because it's too hilarious not to. A +3 Flame resistant T-Shirt? Incredible.

That enchantment should be required on all pajamas.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-09-01, 05:40 AM
You can put armor enhancements on Bracers of Armor up to a +13 equivalent bonus (A&E p. 130) for the same cost as magic armor.
According to the MIC the armor bonus to AC enchantment can be applied to the arms and body slots, so you could make a shirt or vest of armor and add armor enhancements for the normal price.
Since Bracers of Armor are already magic you could argue that you don't need the actual +1 bonus and can just add other enhancements.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-01, 06:13 AM
I don't see why not. They even take up the same body slot as armour would, so you wouldn't be able to stack anything.

Coldare
2013-09-01, 08:06 AM
MGp's: Quintessential Bard II.

Offers: Steelsilk armour.

Armour/Shield Bonus

Doublet: +2
Entire Suit: +3 (5% ASF)

So...Its Armour...Add Fire Resist to it?