PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5]Arcane, Untyped Bonus...where can I find and how do they work?

Memphos
2013-09-01, 07:04 AM
Hello Playgrounders,

I've been DMing for a year now and, despite having read a lot of manuals, I can't find or can't understand the bonus types.

Whenever i find Moral or arcane bonus, for example, what does that mean? How many type of bonus are there and how can I understand what type is it?

I've read some time ago in this very forum that different type of bonus can be applied together despite giving the same, let's say, ability bonus.

Thanks for your answers

ArcturusV
2013-09-01, 07:30 AM
I can't even imagine the number of types of bonuses out there. This is everything from Enhancement Bonus to Circumstance Bonus, to stranger things indeed. The important thing you need to remember is only three things really.

1) As you mentioned, if a bonus is of a different type, even if it applies to the same thing, then you count both bonuses. Thus something that gave a +1 to Attack via Morale, and a +1 Enhancement bonus to attack results in a net +2.

2) If something doesn't list any bonus type at all (Just says +__ Bonus), then it stacks with everything, even other things that are also untyped to the same roll/bonus/total.

3) Dodge bonuses are exempt from these rules. They alone actually stack with one another. So no matter how many "Dodge" bonuses your character has to AC/Reflex saves, all of them apply at the same time despite being the same type.

Bogardan_Mage
2013-09-01, 07:35 AM
Right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes).

Mostly the only reason for naming bonuses is that bonuses of the same name don't stack. There's a few exceptions, Dodge bonuses as Arcturus mentioned and Circumstance bonuses which stack unless they arise from the same circumstance. If you see a type of bonus you don't recognise, that's generally a good thing because it means it won't be competing with anything. There's certain conventions as to which bonuses apply to which stats, but generally speaking there's no special rules you need to remember for each type.

GameSpawn
2013-09-01, 07:41 AM
I don't remember exactly where the rule is, but I'm almost certain it's in the PHB (maybe DMG).

The quick explanation is:

-Bonuses of the same type don't stack
-Bonuses of different types stack
-Dodge bonuses and circumstance bonuses (unless they arise from the same circumstance) are an exception to the first rule; they can stack with other bonuses of the same type
-Untyped bonuses (those that simply say +x) can stack with anything, including other untyped bonuses

So, for example:
-Bull's Strength and a Belt of Giant Strength don't stack, because they are both enhancement bonuses.
-Mage Armor and an Amulet of Natural Armor can stack because one gives an armor bonus, and one gives a natural armor bonus.
-The bonuses to AC from Dodge and Combat Expertise can stack because dodge bonuses are special.
-The bonus to strength from Bull's Strength and the bonus to strength from a barbarian's rage can stack, because the second is untyped.

There are a lot of different types of bonuses; in general, the type doesn't matter beyond what's mentioned above (there are some abilities that key off or deny certain bonuses specifically, but no general rules).

gdiddy
2013-09-01, 07:42 AM
Ironically, it is under "The Basics".

Memphos
2013-09-01, 08:50 AM
Ironically, it is under "The Basics".

truly, I was searching for an answer in some obscure "behind the scene" panel:smallannoyed:

Thanks everyone

Raendyn
2013-09-01, 10:01 AM
2) If something doesn't list any bonus type at all (Just says +__ Bonus), then it stacks with everything, even other things that are also untyped to the same roll/bonus/total.

Unless it comes from the same source.

HunterOfJello
2013-09-01, 10:06 AM
The only types that usually stacks with themselves are circumstance bonuses and untyped bonuses. This is why everyone loves untyped bonuses.

An enhancement bonus to a type will stack with the original type. The typical example of this is a Natural Armor bonus and an enhancement natural armor bonus stacking.

~

The Rules Compendium has information about all of this if you're looking for another source.