PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep track of your webcomics?

Glass Mouse
2013-09-01, 08:12 AM
After Google Reader's death, there seems to be no widely used, good solution for keeping track of webcomics and blogs. I've been looking at Feedly, but also other services like Google+ or Twitter seem to be popular.

So, I'm wondering, what does everyone else use? Has something sweeped in to fill Google Reader's role, to anyone's knowledge?

I need this since I'm starting my own webcomic soon, and I'd like to get a feel for what I need. Personally I'm on Feedly now, but I won't tailor for something no one uses.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-01, 08:50 AM
I just use a folder on my bookmarks bar.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-01, 09:34 AM
Memory, mostly.

Evandar
2013-09-01, 09:45 AM
Every time I open Google Chrome, my fingers reflexively punch out 'giantitp', 'smbc-comics', 'goblinscomic', 'xkcd' and 'erfworld'. All my comics are down to muscle memory.

Winterwind
2013-09-01, 09:48 AM
I just use a folder on my bookmarks bar.Same here. Comes with the handy option of opening all of the webcomics I follow in a bunch of tabs with a single click, too.

Traab
2013-09-01, 10:46 AM
I just keep my comics in an uninterrupted line on my favorites list, and remember the update schedule. There are only 9 of them so its not that hard to keep straight.

BannedInSchool
2013-09-01, 12:20 PM
RSS works fine for everything I follow. Not like I need to read everything a minute after it's posted.

AdmiralCheez
2013-09-01, 02:05 PM
Another count of using a folder on my bookmark bar, but I also usually include a note after the comic's title regarding it's update schedule. If it's updated regularly, I'll put a letter for the days it does update; if it's irregular, I'll write something like "often," or "occasionally," or "maybe sometime this year." I currently have 31 comics in my folder, so it helps keep track of which ones I should open on any particular day.

Domochevsky
2013-09-01, 03:46 PM

This, pretty much.

As far as you are concerned as a webcomic-maker: Wordpress/Comicpress comes by default with a RSS/RSS2/ATOM feed for the typical stuff, so you don't even need to go out of your way to cater to anything there if you use it. :smallsmile:

hajo
2013-09-01, 05:48 PM
This, with separators between "daily" / "once+ per week" / "less often".
Plus another one for paused/finished ones.

snoopy13a
2013-09-01, 10:35 PM
I only read a few, so I go by memory.

Flickerdart
2013-09-01, 10:59 PM
If I forget to check a comic, it probably wasn't good enough to keep track of in the first place.

Mando Knight
2013-09-01, 11:44 PM
Memory, mostly.

I use my browser's memory! Then all I have to do is press one key and it gives me suggestions of webcomics that have that letter somewhere in the name or description! (Though maybe I should clean up the history more frequently...) :smalltongue:

Eric Tolle
2013-09-02, 12:15 AM
Since I read so many,i subscribed toThe Webcomic List (http://www.thewebcomiclist.com/), abd that tracks most of my webcomic for me in an easy to use daily list. For the twenty or so comics I read that The Webcomic List doesn't track, I just check them once or twice a week on my bookmarks. The only webcomic that really doesn't work for is Ava's Demon.

Gez
2013-09-02, 01:56 AM
Firefox's "live bookmarks" (RSS-based).

BWR
2013-09-02, 02:51 AM
Bookmarks.
Sometimes I check comics more often than they are updated. Sometimes I read a little backlog.

Lord Raziere
2013-09-02, 02:58 AM
I have tons in my bookmarks. most of them I don't even read often. I just keep them on tap for the eventual day when one or more of the regularly updating comics end or isn't updating much, so that I can go about reading them. I'm thinking long term. that and you can never know where you'll find a good idea or something entertaining, they can crop up in the most unexpected of places.

Forrestfire
2013-09-02, 02:58 AM
Of the 20 or so I read, only a few update on any given day, so I just remember which ones update on which day. Google chrome's autofill does the rest for me.