PDA

View Full Version : Artificers and the Tome of Magic

Xuldarinar
2013-09-01, 10:03 AM
While clearly things not designed with the other in mind, I wish to ask about the compatibility of magic items in the Tome of Magic, and the artificer.

We have:

Requires SoulBinding to Craft; Chime of Suppression, Implements of Binding, Soul Lens, Seal of the spirit, and Vestige Phylactery

Requires Mysteries: Scrolls associated with mysteries, Staffs associated with mysteries, Wands associated with mysteries, Shadow striking weapons, Dark Lantern, Collar of Umbral Metamophosis, Gem of Night, Orb of Shadow, Ring of Nullification, and Shroud of Night

Requires Truenaming: Potions associated with true naming, Scrolls associated with true naming, Staves associated with true naming, and Wands associated with truenaming, and Amulet of the Silver Tongue.

How might a artificer become able to craft any or all of these? Would any they be able to innately create without multi-classing, or would they need to attain soul binding, mysteries, and/or true naming separately? I can see an argument to permit them to make items requiring mysteries, but I wanted to see what other people think.

The-Mage-King
2013-09-01, 11:07 AM
Same way they make scrolls associated with Arcane magic, ect.

Use Magic Device to emulate. There's probably something for emulating a skill, so that just needs to be hunt down...

Psyren
2013-09-01, 11:09 AM
Soul Binding, Mysteries and Utterances are all class features of the respective ToM classes. One of UMD's uses is to Emulate a class feature. That's all there is to it, really.

The-Mage-King
2013-09-01, 11:11 AM
Soul Binding, Mysteries and Utterances are all class features of the respective ToM classes. One of UMD's uses is to Emulate a class feature. That's all there is to it, really.

Though aren't there some that require a skill rank? If I recall correctly, there were a few Truenaming things...

Psyren
2013-09-01, 11:22 AM
If that's the case, you can simply grab Truename Training and put some ranks into it to fulfill that requirement. (Or cooperate with a Truenamer.)

Most of the Truename items suck anyway.

Xuldarinar
2013-09-01, 11:23 AM
Alright. I just wanted to be certain. Thank you.

And yes, some require ranks in truespeaking. I figure then, there are skill requirements for the artificer, but nothing a feat at 1st level couldn't handle.. if they -had- to make those items.

Psyren
2013-09-01, 11:35 AM
You don't even have to pick it up at first-level - if you cross-classed ranks in Truespeak prior to that, you retroactively gain additional ranks as though it had always been a class skill.

I think some Incarnum items require you to have an essentia pool as well.