PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Feats by Level

Jane_Smith
2013-09-01, 11:24 AM
I was thinking, how balanced or unbalanced would it be to condense the following feats from 2-3 into just 1, and make the effects they give scale based on level? Kinda like how pathfinder did the dodge, skill focus, etc feats.

Spell Penetration: +2 to caster level checks made to bypass spell resistance, +1 for every 5 hit dice you possess, to a maximum of +6 by level 20.

Spell Focus: Select a school of magic. Spells you cast of that type have there DC's increased by +1. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 hit dice you possess, to a maximum of +5 by level 20.

Weapon Focus: Select a single type of weapon. Attacks with the selected weapon gain a +1 bonus to hit. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 hit dice you possess, to a maximum of +5 by level 20.

The idea behind it is simple; nobody enjoys spending 3+ feats for a few bland static bonuses, nor should they have to, as realistically it does not add to character development from a rpg point of view (Whereas cleave, maximize spell, etc feats are a dramatic change to your playstyle, both statistically and thematically, and encouraged role playing such changes). So, like a bandaid, the quicker you rip it off (or in this case, bite the bullet and take the feat) and get it done with, the better, without quite sickening fear of having to devote 5-7 levels entirely on bloody +1 bonuses for "Hit chance".

In addition, this also solves a very tiny minor problem; as-is, people can take spell pen and spell focus x3 right off the bat with some builds at level 1. Normally, this is not an issue, until one of your players decides to be an ******* and add 'color spray' and 'sleep' to the spells known list on there sheet. Ick.

(Though, funny story, that backfired on the group, he used color spray on the group AND a group of about 6 bandits, 3 bandits got nat 20's on there will saves, the groups paladin got stunned, his HORSE in the stables nearby got stunned [while stables was burning], our tinkerer got blinded [he used a rifle... with only 12 dex/dwarf...], and the wizard on a building nearby got stunned and fell over the ledge onto said burning stables connected to building. The paladin? Got a nat 1 on his will save. He was stunned for 8 rounds. Needless to say, the sorcerer learned never to friendly fire again as he rolled up a new character sheet.)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-01, 11:39 AM
...did you mean to post this in the Webcomics section of the site? :smallconfused:

Spell Penetration: +2 to caster level checks made to bypass spell resistance, +1 for every 5 hit dice you possess, to a maximum of +6 by level 20.

Not hugely problematic, no. Makes SR significantly weaker though.

Spell Focus: Select a school of magic. Spells you cast of that type have there DC's increased by +1. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 hit dice you possess, to a maximum of +5 by level 20.

Hugely problematic. Spell DCs can already get painfully high, and the penalty for failing a saving throw can often be an outright loss. This is a place where a feat requirement is fully appropriate, because the effect is just so damn powerful. Under no circumstances would I allow this revision at any gaming table I DM, and it's inclusion might even be cause for me to leave as a player. It's so good as to be mandatory for any spellcaster, which means it is very overpowered.

Weapon Focus: Select a single type of weapon. Attacks with the selected weapon gain a +1 bonus to hit. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 hit dice you possess, to a maximum of +5 by level 20.

This would probably be fine, as landing a physical attack with a weapon is nowhere NEAR as potent as getting your enemy to fail a saving throw.

Jane_Smith
2013-09-01, 11:44 AM
I.. honestly have no clue how this got in the webcomics section. I swear I was in homebrew when I hit start thread. How do I push it over?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-01, 11:45 AM
I.. honestly have no clue how this got in the webcomics section. I swear I was in homebrew when I hit start thread. How do I push it over?

Click the "Report" button below your own post, and ask a Moderator to move it in the text-box you'll see displayed.

I also already requested it be moved, actually. :smalltongue:

Jane_Smith
2013-09-01, 11:59 AM
Well, I had an idea for spell focus and pen. What if, the scaling only applies to your caster level of the spell your casting? so a level 15 wizard gets +5 from spell pen with wizard spells, but with 3 sorc levels, only +2 to sorc spells. Doesn't really make sense why spell pen should apply to -every single spellcasting class and spell-like and supernatural ability-.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-09-01, 12:01 PM
Well, I had an idea for spell focus and pen. What if, the scaling only applies to your caster level of the spell your casting? so a level 15 wizard gets +5 from spell pen with wizard spells, but with 3 sorc levels, only +2 to sorc spells. Doesn't really make sense why spell pen should apply to -every single spellcasting class and spell-like and supernatural ability-.

That doesn't really help the issue, as casters are rarely multi-class, and the ones who are multi-class are typically the ones would could use a caster-level or save DC boost.

Flickerdart
2013-09-01, 05:50 PM
Scaling numbers are better than flat numbers, but they're still hideously boring. When you have focus with a weapon it should be unto a thing of beauty when wielded by you, leaving enemies equally awed and dead in your wake. "Slightly better at hitting dudes" is not really representative. PHBII-style tactical feats like High Sword Low Axe represent such an arrangement much more effectively.