PDA

View Full Version : Building the imbalance into the party

bekeleven
2013-09-01, 12:22 PM
Inspired by:

If you start Planar Binding warriors or doing all the damage yourself, how fun is the game for the warriors?

My very first DM had all players join the game at first level. And he ran XP by the book, so it took a number of encounters before you were in fighting shape. Granted, party level was only around 5-8 when I joined, but the point stood.

It was my first DM because it was my first time playing. So I did what many would do, and basically followed around my RL friend's character like a lonely puppy. It got to the point where people joked I should become her cohort.

So, level 6 rolls around for her while I'm level 4, and on a lark she takes leadership. and I became her cohort. Not much changed, although I think our DM had to calculate experience slightly differently.

Does anybody else have experience with this type of play? I have a friend who ran a game where every PC played awakened animals and they formed a party of familiars finding their missing wizards, but that's only superficially similar as the wizards were absent. I'm looking for a game where one player plays a subset/extension/class feature of another.

IronFist
2013-09-01, 12:27 PM
To me, it looks like your friend wasted a feat.

Samalpetey
2013-09-01, 12:34 PM
I'm a bit confused, doesn't that just limit you to 2 levels below the wizard forever?

Psyren
2013-09-01, 12:36 PM

I'm a bit confused, doesn't that just limit you to 2 levels below the wizard forever?

What they said, and also, I'm not seeing what this has to do with imbalance either...

bekeleven
2013-09-01, 12:45 PM
Funny enough, she was playing a ranger.

And XP-wise, It took me a dozen or so sessions -not counting the ones I missed - to get up to her level -2. I figured if I could stay there when I missed sessions, it was a pretty decent trade.

The feat was taken for story reasons.

Psyren
2013-09-01, 01:09 PM
Well, to answer your question - I'd expect this kind of situation to be pretty rare, since cohorts are generally intended to be NPCs. I have seen a couple of "I'm playing as the animal companion/familiar/eidolon" posts though.