PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Spell-Like Abilities

King Atticus
2013-09-01, 02:13 PM
So I've been doing some reading about SLA's but can't find a clear-cut answer to my question and was hoping the collective wisdom of the playground could help me out. So from what I've read SLA's work the same as the spell of the same name but without components or spell failure chance. Does that mean that the user of the SLA has to have a high enough stat to be able to cast the spell also?

For example...the Barghest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/barghest.htm) has a Charisma of 14 and the following Spell-Like Abilities
At will—blink, levitate, misdirection (DC 14), rage (DC 15); 1/day—charm monster (DC 16), crushing despair (DC 16), dimension door. Caster level equals the barghest’s HD.

The save DCs are Charisma-based.

If you were able to drop it's Cha to 10 or below would it loose the ability to use it's SLA's like a true caster would lose the ability to cast spells?

PersonMan
2013-09-01, 02:21 PM
Unless it says anywhere that it requires a Charisma score of X to do so, no.

DeltaEmil
2013-09-01, 02:26 PM
What PersonMan wrote.

As an example, see the Nightcrawler Nightshade (mass hold monster) and the Nighthag (etherealness), which have the ability to use spell-like abilities emulating 9th-level spells, despite not having 19 Charisma.