PDA

View Full Version : Highest con polymorphable monster

Seer_of_Heart
2013-09-01, 05:55 PM
What's the highest con monster you can think of that's a valid form for polymorph?

bekeleven
2013-09-01, 09:50 PM
Dusk Giants from Heroes of Horror and some trolls from MM3 all have con in the 30s.

Vaz
2013-09-02, 03:49 AM
Depends on HD. Greater Dusk Giant has 32 Con but requires the Reserves of Strength feat and 18 HD. It is also Huge, causing issues in small places.

War Troll is 29 at 12HD, Cave Troll 27 at 9.

May I ask why the high Con is important? You don't modify HP, it just improves concentration check and saves, really?

bekeleven
2013-09-02, 06:27 AM
May I ask why the high Con is important? You don't modify HP, it just improves concentration check and saves, really?
Could be building one of those "con to everything" builds maybe?

Hamste
2013-09-02, 06:31 AM
Why wouldn't they get the HP of their new form? Con applies backwards if the modifier changes (both up and down). Am I missing something?

The main problem though is that Con is not temporary hit points and thus isn't deducted first so you can be in serious trouble if polymorph runs out after you used the Con hp to absorb some heavy hits and haven't had a chance to heal yet.

bekeleven
2013-09-02, 06:36 AM
Why wouldn't they get the HP of their new form? Con applies backwards if the modifier changes (both up and down). Am I missing something?

The main problem though is that Con is not temporary hit points and thus isn't deducted first so you can be in serious trouble if polymorph runs out after you used the Con hp to absorb some heavy hits and haven't had a chance to heal yet.

Here is a link to the official wild shape rules. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules)Your HP does not change.

ahenobarbi
2013-09-02, 06:36 AM

Because Polymorph is based on Alter Self, which says

Your (...) hit points (...) remain the same.

Evolved Shrimp
2013-09-02, 07:18 AM
If shapechange is available, which has a higher HD limit than polymorph, I believe the highest-Con target is the titan (MM, p242) with 39.

May I ask why the high Con is important?

Don't know what the OP wants to do, but one reason to boost constitution is to be able to persist more spells when you are a Spelldancer.

bekeleven
2013-09-02, 07:31 AM
Don't know what the OP wants to do, but one reason to boost constitution is to be able to persist more spells when you are a Spelldancer.
I sort of picture a situation where OP is playing a rogue 15/Wizard 1 huddled in a shack in the mountains, sole survivor of a TPK. He was level drained from level 16 to level 7 in the climactic battle, and the session ended 1 hour before his drained levels solidify. All he has going for him are a +1 cloak of resistance he took off the paladin's corpse and a single scroll of Polymorph...

ben-zayb
2013-09-02, 07:37 AM
Actually, my first thought was this caster will cast a Suffer the Flesh soell, which will grant him a boatload of CL. Ability damage can be cured later by the party cleric easily.:smalltongue:

Chronos
2013-09-02, 10:02 AM
Quoth Hamste:

That has its pros and its cons. In general, temporary HP are better for short-duration effects, while increased Con is better for long-duration effects. The disadvantage to temporary HP is that you can't heal them back.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-09-02, 10:41 AM
Actually, my first thought was this caster will cast a Suffer the Flesh soell, which will grant him a boatload of CL. Ability damage can be cured later by the party cleric easily.:smalltongue:

Bingo! :smallcool:

I'm working on an attack of the clones build and every 5 extra cl gets 4 more T1 clones.

ben-zayb
2013-09-03, 07:49 AM
Bingo! :smallcool:

I'm working on an attack of the clones build and every 5 extra cl gets 4 more T1 clones.

like minds cheesethink alike :smallcool: