PDA

View Full Version : Prepared Charisma based arcane caster?

Deathcharge01
2013-09-01, 08:43 PM
Hello Playground,

As the title states, I'm looking for a charisma based prepared caster. I vaguely remember there being a race specific class (I'm not even sure) that casts like a wiz using charisma as their casting stat, I just can't seem to find anything like it. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Edited for arcane specific.

Greenish
2013-09-01, 08:44 PM
Spirit Shaman is, well, sorta prepared, and sorta Cha-based. :smalltongue:

Deathcharge01
2013-09-01, 08:50 PM
Spirit Shaman is, well, sorta prepared, and sorta Cha-based. :smalltongue:

It is isn't it? but not what I'm looking for. I forgot to mention it in the OP, but I'm looking for an arcane class.

Thanks for your prompt response. :smallsmile:

Waker
2013-09-01, 09:12 PM
Sha'ir is a prepared charisma-based arcane caster. It's in Dragon Compendium. Be aware that their preparation method is a little wonky, so you might want to read the handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10153.0) for it.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-01, 10:21 PM
Since anything that comes up is probably going to be absurdly specific, you might ask your DM if you can just homebrew a feat or ACF to convert the wizard to a charisma-based caster.

mattie_p
2013-09-01, 10:32 PM
Since anything that comes up is probably going to be absurdly specific, you might ask your DM if you can just homebrew a feat or ACF to convert the wizard to a charisma-based caster.

No need to homebrew. Arcane Preparation is already a feat. It allows a spontaneous caster to prepare spells in advance.

Hytheter
2013-09-01, 10:38 PM
No need to homebrew. Arcane Preparation is already a feat. It allows a spontaneous caster to prepare spells in advance.
That doesn't give you access to the entire spell list like a wizard or a cleric though; it only lets you prepare spells you know, which is almost useless.

mattie_p
2013-09-01, 10:41 PM
That doesn't give you access to the entire spell list like a wizard or a cleric though; it only lets you prepare spells you know, which is almost useless.

I'm well aware of that. The feat basically allows you to gimp your sorcerer. However, OP specified prepared caster, and made no mention of spell lists or spells known. It was included for completeness.

CyberThread
2013-09-01, 11:33 PM
A sorcerer is always prepared to cast spells, for it must never think about renewing them, but must mearly sleep.

Lord Haart
2013-09-02, 01:46 AM
Dynamic Priest cleric/druid/whaddyaname.

Alleran
2013-09-02, 03:04 AM
Depending on your GM, you might be able to wrangle the third-party feat from 3.0 called Lost Tradition, which allows you to switch your casting statistic to a different ability score.

Waker
2013-09-02, 03:26 AM
Depending on your GM, you might be able to wrangle the third-party feat from 3.0 called Lost Tradition, which allows you to switch your casting statistic to a different ability score.

If your DM seems amendable to the idea, the feat is from a Green Ronin book called "Bastards and Bloodlines."

Seffbasilisk
2013-09-02, 04:13 AM
Spellhoarding White Dragonspawn Kobold Loredrake.

Essentially you just need to take the Dragonwrought feat (Races of the Dragon), and the Spellhoarding Template (Dragon Magazine 313), and it takes your sorcerer casting (that things like White Dragonspawn and Loredrake boost) and effectively turns it into Wizard casting.

Also comes with other shiny things, but YMMV with the bennies and reactive counterspell (if you can sell it to your DM.)

Thurbane
2013-09-02, 05:53 AM
There is a 3rd party feat called Lost Tradition that does this (from the book Bastards and Bloodlines).

It can convert your casting to stat to any stat (yes, including Strength, Dexterity or Constitution).

DarkEternal
2013-09-02, 08:11 AM

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but if I do, this might very well be the worst feat in existence of feats.

Dimers
2013-09-02, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but if I do, this might very well be the worst feat in existence of feats.

Arcane Preparation lets a sorcerer prep metamagicked spells so that she can actually USE the Quicken feat and otherwise not spend extra casting time. *shrug* At least that feat has a function, even if it's one that makes you wish you had picked a different class in the first place.

A while back there was a thread to determine the worst feat ever. The winner looked to be the one for Truenamers that was supposed to raise the save DC of their powers, but the way it was worded, instead made the powers more difficult to activate without any benefit whatsoever.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-02, 08:28 AM
As Dimers said, it's good for metamagic. It also gets you into Mage of the Arcane Order, which is a pretty nice thing for a spontaneous caster.

ahenobarbi
2013-09-02, 08:37 AM
As Dimers said, it's good for metamagic. It also gets you into Mage of the Arcane Order, which is a pretty nice thing for a spontaneous caster.

Also migh make Ultimate Magus a 17/10 casting progression class.

Larkas
2013-09-02, 08:55 AM

Eh, if you take a somewhat strict reading of the feat, it actually lets you prepare spells from a spellbook ("You can prepare an arcane spell ahead of time just as a wizard does."), which supposedly opens up the entire Sor/Wiz spell list for the character. How you'd get around to actually inscribe spells into a spellbook, however, is beyond me, as you don't have the class feature that would let you do so. Unless you take Greyhawk Method, that is, but that's not here nor there.

Aside from that, Arcane Preparation lets you prepare metamagicked spells ahead of time, as Playgrounders above kindly remembered, and also let a Sorcerer qualify for a few things it normally couldn't otherwise. It is a niche feat, to be sure, but not a useless one.

Cog
2013-09-02, 08:57 AM
Also migh make Ultimate Magus a 17/10 casting progression class.

Nah. Arcane Prep doesn't change how the class works, just how the character can use the class's abilities. A sorcerer with Arcane Prep meets requirements such as "ability to cast prepared spells" but does not have any levels in a prepared casting class.

ahenobarbi
2013-09-02, 09:03 AM
Nah. Arcane Prep doesn't change how the class works, just how the character can use the class's abilities. A sorcerer with Arcane Prep meets requirements such as "ability to cast prepared spells" but does not have any levels in a prepared casting class.

Isn't prepared casting class a class that enables you to cast prepared spells?

Cog
2013-09-02, 09:07 AM
Isn't prepared casting class a class that enables you to cast prepared spells?

Emphasis added, but that's entirely correct. An Arcane Prep Sorcerer has a feat that allows preparing spells, and does not have a class that allows preparing spells.

Hytheter
2013-09-02, 09:13 AM
Eh, if you take a somewhat strict reading of the feat, it actually lets you prepare spells from a spellbook ("You can prepare an arcane spell ahead of time just as a wizard does."), which supposedly opens up the entire Sor/Wiz spell list for the character.

"Each day, you can use one or more of your spell slots to prepare spells you know."

Spells from a spellbook are not spells you know.

Arcane Preparation lets a sorcerer prep metamagicked spells so that she can actually USE the Quicken feat and otherwise not spend extra casting time. *shrug* At least that feat has a function, even if it's one that makes you wish you had picked a different class in the first place.

Yeah, that's why I said that feat was almost useless. :P

ahenobarbi
2013-09-02, 09:15 AM
Emphasis added, but that's entirely correct. An Arcane Prep Sorcerer has a feat that allows preparing spells, and does not have a class that allows preparing spells.

Well having sorcerer class in conjunction with the feat enables sorcerer to cast prepared spells... but let's not derail the thread. It isn't something I'd use in a game anyway.

ahenobarbi
2013-09-02, 09:17 AM
"Each day, you can use one or more of your spell slots to prepare spells you know."

Spells from a spellbook are not spells you know.

Unless you dip wizard or take Magical Training (Players Guide to Faerun). Then you can scribe spells in a spell book, they count as spells known for character, so you can prepare them :smallamused:

Hytheter
2013-09-02, 09:23 AM
Unless you dip wizard or take Magical Training (Players Guide to Faerun). Then you can scribe spells in a spell book, they count as spells known for character, so you can prepare them :smallamused:

Spells in a spellbook and Spells Known aren't the same thing though.

(I'm not sure if that was a serious post, but anyway...)

Chronos
2013-09-02, 09:47 AM
There are references elsewhere in the rules to a wizard knowing spells, though, and the only meaning that seems to make sense for "knowing" is "have scribed them into a spellbook".

ahenobarbi
2013-09-02, 09:50 AM
Spells in a spellbook and Spells Known aren't the same thing though.

(I'm not sure if that was a serious post, but anyway...)

They are. Check "known spell" in glossary in Players Handbook

For wizards, knowing a spell means having it in their spellbooks.

Larkas
2013-09-02, 10:28 AM
They are. Check "known spell" in glossary in Players Handbook

Thanks, ahenobarbi. You were faster than me. :smallwink:

Deathcharge01
2013-09-02, 04:57 PM
Much thanks for the responses guys. I think the Sha'ir class Waker mentioned hits the nail on the head. I've have a look @ the handbook and i should be good to go :smallwink:

Again, Thanks to all for your timely responses.

kitsunemeio
2014-02-19, 02:06 AM

Another (ridiculously overpowered) reason for this could be the Thought Bottle. Of course, I'm not talking about the wishes trick, just the spell storing use.

Found this thread on a google search, thought I'd post this for others since it was page 1