PDA

View Full Version : Hulking Hurler Races

Arkusus
2013-09-01, 09:33 PM
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a hulking hurler race?

The character will be starting at level 6, so he can't have any level adjustments, but obviously strength is a priority.

Thanks for the help

mabriss lethe
2013-09-01, 09:55 PM
How do you plan on snagging Large size to qualify for HH? That will be a good way to figure out what race to use. I don't think there are any large races with LA +0, so you'll have to use either magic, psionics or other shenanigans to qualify.

CyberThread
2013-09-01, 10:20 PM
Well Goliaths strong build or whatever it is called, is said to qualify for it, would maybe argue with your DM that Jotunbrud the feat, would allow it.

Waker
2013-09-01, 11:37 PM
Well Goliaths strong build or whatever it is called, is said to qualify for it, would maybe argue with your DM that Jotunbrud the feat, would allow it.

Nope, Powerful Build treats you as being Large for the purposes of special attacks and weapon sizes, but you are still a medium creature. Now Mountain Rage for a Goliath Barbarian is another matter as that actually increases your size while raging. You will want to ask your DM if that lets you qualify.
There are however no Large-size races with 0 LA. You'll have to bite the bullet and actually take a race with LA, like Half-Ogre from Races of Destiny or Half-Minotaur from one of the Dragon Magazines.

ranagrande
2013-09-01, 11:38 PM
I recommend the Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale from Savage Species.

CyberThread
2013-09-01, 11:57 PM
The downside of that build suggestion, is that you only benefit from it while you are raging, which means it would be like playing the rest of the game with negative levels.

Verditude
2013-09-02, 03:29 AM
I recommend the Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale from Savage Species.

Especially if you can find a wight, get it to hit you twice, fail your Fort saves a day later, and replace your now-one racial hit die with a class level. Large size, a bunch of other goodies, no relatively poor Monstrous Humanoid HD.

Galvin
2013-09-02, 10:22 AM
There is no large sized race with 0 LA. You'll just have to take a 1 LA race with large sized. Maybe Half-Ogre, maybe something else.

ranagrande
2013-09-02, 10:39 AM
People keep saying that, but the Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale is large size with 0 LA.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-02, 10:43 AM
People keep saying that, but the Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale is large size with 0 LA.

And 3 RHD, so it's effectively ECL 3 minimum. Sure, RHD are better than LA but they're still not good.

ranagrande
2013-09-02, 10:52 AM
And 3 RHD, so it's effectively ECL 3 minimum. Sure, RHD are better than LA but they're still not good.

Monstrous Humanoid hit dice aren't too terrible though. They get full base attack bonus which is the important thing for the OP.

Something like an Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale Monstrous Humanoid 3/Fighter 2/Hulking Hurler 1 would work well.

Zanos
2013-09-02, 04:20 PM
Especially if you can find a wight, get it to hit you twice, fail your Fort saves a day later, and replace your now-one racial hit die with a class level. Large size, a bunch of other goodies, no relatively poor Monstrous Humanoid HD.

You have to relevel in your RHDs before you can take class levels if you lose levels for whatever reason.

Arkusus
2013-09-02, 06:43 PM
Monstrous Humanoid hit dice aren't too terrible though. They get full base attack bonus which is the important thing for the OP.

Something like an Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale Monstrous Humanoid 3/Fighter 2/Hulking Hurler 1 would work well.

This amuses me, but I think it might be best just to accept the character will have to take the LA and be done with it...