PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite cleric spells?

Alokue
2013-09-02, 12:47 AM
I thought it'd be cool to see what people like to have in their day-to-day prepared spells on a cleric. Post away and maybe I'll tally or something?

ArcturusV
2013-09-02, 12:52 AM
Augury, and if I have the levels, Divination. Never leave home without it, always useful. Almost any other spell I will conditionally change out. But those always end up on my list.

Silva Stormrage
2013-09-02, 01:12 AM
Wall of Pain from shining south. You can get some impressive damage from that spell and it causes a decent debuff as well. Finally, undead are immune to it so you can send undead through it and they are unaffected.

DR27
2013-09-02, 01:24 AM
Resurgence - awesome for out-of-combat status healing, uses low-level slots
Close Wounds, Delay Death, Panacea - in-combat healing can be useful in the right situation, these always get prepped.

blelliot
2013-09-02, 03:09 AM
divine power, righteous might, righteous wrath of the faithful, and flame strike are favorites of mine. Honorable mention to searing light, light of mercuria/venya/lunia, sunbeam, and sunburst.

Maginomicon
2013-09-02, 03:28 AM
Look up the Sanctified Spells in the Book of Exalted Deeds. ALL prepared-type good Clerics can spontaneously cast them just like they can spontaneously cast Cure spells. That means that at any time you can sacrifice a prepared spell to cast like 4-5 different spells per level not including cure spells.

One of the spells in there is basically Divination a spell level or two early, but better.

eggynack
2013-09-02, 03:48 AM
Look up the Sanctified Spells in the Book of Exalted Deeds. ALL prepared-type good Clerics can spontaneously cast them just like they can spontaneously cast Cure spells.
It doesn't look like you necessarily have to be good, even for that effect. You merely have to be non-evil to be able to cast the spells in general, and there doesn't appear to be an additional restriction on casting spontaneously. You do need to be good to target yourself with (greater) luminous armor, so that may be reason enough to go good, but still.

Maginomicon
2013-09-02, 05:57 AM
It doesn't look like you necessarily have to be good, even for that effect. You merely have to be non-evil to be able to cast the spells in general, and there doesn't appear to be an additional restriction on casting spontaneously. You do need to be good to target yourself with (greater) luminous armor, so that may be reason enough to go good, but still.

For those willing to utterly devote themselves to good, great power awaits in the form of sanctified magic.That's probably sufficient for most GMs to declare that you have to be good to access it, but I see your point.

Gwendol
2013-09-02, 06:03 AM
Protection from (evil) is quite amazing for a level 1 spell, and it's big brother magic circle against (evil) is also quite good. Starting from Summon Monster III you get good ones, so those tend to be memorized as well. Spiritual weapon is a ranged attack, and a force effect.
Divine favor lacks duration, but is stackable with nearly everything, so it should get honorable mention for more martial clerics.
Dark way can be very useful as a utility spell, as is guidance of the avatar.

ben-zayb
2013-09-02, 07:46 AM
Protection from (evil) is quite amazing for a level 1 spell, and it's big brother magic circle against (evil) is also quite good. Starting from Summon Monster III you get good ones, so those tend to be memorized as well. Spiritual weapon is a ranged attack, and a force effect
Second these, and seriously SM3 is arguably the best of its line.

As a skillmonkey sucker, Divine Insight always has a slot or two for my clerics for when I reaaally need it. Surge of Fortune in that respect, as well.

Fortunate Fate, and Visions of the Future are also personal favorites. Gotta love them contingencies.

Krobar
2013-09-02, 08:59 AM
It's been a while since I played a Cleric, so I had to pull up my Cleric sheet to see what I highlighted ...

Protection from Evil almost always ends up on the list, along with Divine Power, Righteous Might, Death Ward, Greater Vigor, Spell Resistance, Touch of Adamantine, Holy Aura and Holy Word.

Humble Master
2013-09-02, 09:21 AM
Sanctuary is nice for when you need to just buff/heal/summon. Resurgence is amazing. The Vigor line makes the Cure spells look pitiful. Righteous Might, Divine Power and other such spell are great for turning you into a sexy, possibly shoeless, god of war.

Darrin
2013-09-02, 09:43 AM
Conjure Ice Beast (Frostburn, Clr 1). Cherry-pick from either the SM or SNA lists. Cold aura is a free action 10' burst 1d6 cold damage with no save. Engulf with giant centipedes is also fun.

Ice Slick (Frostburn, Clr 1). Grease with four times the area effect.

Ray of Resurgence (Lost Empires of Faerun, Clr 1). Restores Str damage and removes fatigue.

Alicorn Lance (Silver Marches Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020719a), Clr 2). Ranged touch attack, 3d6 force damage, and target is outlined as with faerie fire.

Guidance of the Avatar (Spellbook Archive (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a), Clr 2). Never fail an important skill check ever again.

Bladebane (Unapproachable East, Clr 3). A la carte bane weapon, whatever you need, whenever you need it.

Necrotic Skull Bomb (Champions of Ruin, Clr 5). Actually not all that effective of a spell due to the Fort save, but I love the name.

Chronos
2013-09-02, 10:19 AM
One I've recently discovered that looks like it'll be all kinds of useful is Knight's Move, from the Spell Compendium. It's a swift-action short-ranged teleport that can only place you in a flanking position (which is probably where you wanted to go anyway), from a third-level spell.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-02, 10:24 AM
Snakes Swiftness, Girallon's Blessing, Sudden Stalagmite, Wall of Smoke, Winged Watcher.

Chronos
2013-09-02, 12:27 PM
Sudden Stalagmite, Wall of Smoke, and Winged Watcher are druid spells, not cleric.

Flame of Anor
2013-09-02, 12:40 PM
Buffs

Righteous Might (plus DMM Persist, of course)
Protection from Evil
Shield of Faith
Divine Power
Spikes (much better than Magic Weapon)

Healing

Close Wounds
Revenance
Revivify (these two go together really well)

Fax Celestis
2013-09-02, 10:42 PM
Sudden Stalagmite, Wall of Smoke, and Winged Watcher are druid spells, not cleric.

Why so they are.

However, my go-to option for someone saying "we need a divine caster" is to play a druid. I don't think I've actually played a non-homebrew-revamp'd cleric since...well, since 3.0.

ArcturusV
2013-09-02, 11:23 PM
Which I find interesting and weird. I mean outside of forum boards like this when I get a game most people seem to say "Okay, we NEED a Cleric" when they're setting up parties.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-03, 12:01 AM
I've got a whole list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284509) of spells I like (and that are good).

But in terms of my 5 favourite spells?
1: Dimensional Anchor
2: Wall of Magma
3: Bear's Endurance (mass)
4: Turn Anathema
5: Ebon Eyes

Runners-up include everything from the divination school, and Hammer of Righteousness.