View Full Version : Monster tamer

Arkhosia
2013-09-02, 02:45 AM
Here's the question.
What monster would you have as a pet?
It must match these prerequisites:

•No larger than a horse (Large).

•Must appear in a Tabletop game

•Must be able to move without assistance (no mini-sarlaacs or whatever)

•must be able to function on land.

•May not be a player race (no pet goblins).

I would have a pet blink dog.

Felhammer
2013-09-02, 02:47 AM
An Imp. Why? They are incredibly loyal and have a diverse set of useful abilities.

Imps are sentient (insofar as Devils are considered sentient).

I suppose I would then have to choose... Have to ponder this one.

EDIT: Ok, I got it.

An Owlbear.

Why?

Who the heck doesn't want an Owlbear buddy?

erikun
2013-09-02, 01:20 PM
I am always a fan of gryphons in games. Too bad most systems seem to treat them as monsters rather than interesting companions.

RustyArmor
2013-09-02, 03:26 PM
I had a 2nd ed char that had a pet rust monster. Fighters feared me!

Jay R
2013-09-02, 06:14 PM
Definitely a Beholder - just to be able to relax in a room with a Beholder.

denthor
2013-09-02, 06:18 PM
Displacer beast try to pet me. Oh you missed. blink dog would be great I thought you were where are you now

golentan
2013-09-02, 09:01 PM
Wood elemental. A stick person if in exalted, and a standard wood elemental if in DnD.

Kol Korran
2013-09-03, 11:37 AM
A mimic... oh the games we'll play! :smallsmile:

Seconding the gryphon proposal as well.

the_david
2013-09-03, 11:42 AM
I have a soft spot for the Gray Render, but I wouldn't want him as a pet. I don't think the neighbours would appreciate his daily offering of fresh cat/dog/pigeon meat.

Admiral Squish
2013-09-03, 01:16 PM
Well, if I can't have a mammoth or a t-rex... Maybe an ankylosaurus? Depending on how you categorize 'bigger than a horse'. It's shorter, but a good bit longer and a lot heavier.

A pseudodragon would be pretty cool, but they act like cats, which would be... less fun. I'm more of a dog guy.

I could get a dinosaur of some sort and donate/sell it to science. Image how much we'd be able to learn from a real, living example of an extinct animal.

Honestly, a blink dog would be a pretty awesome companion. Friendly and loyal as a dog, but smart as a person with super-cool teleporting powers.

TheCountAlucard
2013-09-03, 05:21 PM
Liking the gryphon as well; my Exalted character I've been working on has a gryphon familiar, and the Survival Charms that turn it into a badass.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-03, 05:28 PM
A unicorn.

Can't have a unicorn? Well, I am fond of drakes, winged cats and tree singers. Rhycats would be my primary choice after the unicorn, but in Addition to being possible rhybonds, they are also a PC race.

Arkhosia
2013-09-03, 05:40 PM
I'm changing mine: definitely flying cat. Named catbug.
Not allowed? Firrit: elemental ferret homebrew!

Lord Torath
2013-09-05, 11:03 AM
I'd take a giant (horse-sized) tiger. With a riding saddle. :smallamused:

Segev
2013-09-05, 11:12 AM
Are dragons "PC races?" If not, I'd go for a Wyrmling Gold. Can polymorph into smaller animals for pet travel, or can be a cute younger (adopted) sibling, and can serve as a mount for travel.

If they're not allowed...

I've actually always been fond of the Sinister (which is a weird bat that can hover silently and looks more like a manta ray).

A Phasm is probably cheating. It's the omni-pet!

Psyren
2013-09-05, 11:39 AM
Definitely a psicrystal. There are so many uses, and nobody would think twice about my pet rock, whereas a normal familiar might attract attention or die of old age.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-05, 11:54 AM
Amethyst dragon 100%(whichever age category is large so I gan ride it around); first off it is down right fabulous and majestic, secondly go psionics for messing with people's heads without them knowing and lastly percussion loogies ahoy!

Joe the Rat
2013-09-05, 12:07 PM
Boy, that depends on how one defines "Player Race," because there are a lot of sentient (and therefore playable) options.

Pseudodragons are fun, but rather capricious. It wouldn't stick around.
Owlbears are iconic, but angry and vicious. It'd end up in the pound.
(someone want to run with that? I'm out of couplets)

I think I'd look for something flight-capable at this point. I've already got land, sea, and dungeon pets.

JBPuffin
2013-09-05, 08:22 PM
...well, counting the Pokémon Tabletop Adventures RPG as a tabletop game, a Pikachu or Ralts.

If that doesn't count, which would make sense, a blink dog...or an animated object (rock). That's right, my pet rock can throw ITSELF. Think about it.

geonova
2013-09-05, 10:45 PM
i'm AFB so i can't think of some of the odder/insane creatures that fit into these guidelines, but i would love a feral ferovorous dire wolf:smalltongue:

Arkhosia
2013-09-05, 10:59 PM
...well, counting the Pokémon Tabletop Adventures RPG as a tabletop game, a Pikachu or Ralts.

If that doesn't count, which would make sense, a blink dog...or an animated object (rock). That's right, my pet rock can throw ITSELF. Think about it.

As long as it's tabletop, it's good.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-09-06, 05:36 AM
One of the homonculi from Eberron

Iron defender. Robot dog, awesome

Packmate Never lose anything again, basically a non-psycopathic Luggage from discworld, handy.

Dedicated Wright. Sits at home all day making things for you, productive.

Black Jester
2013-09-06, 06:43 AM
When templates are an option, I'd probably go with a dungeonbred gray render. Small enough to keep indoors and doesn't need half a pig a day to feed. Renders have the tendency to bond with other creatures anyway, so you could probably imprint on one if you get a youngling, making it a very loyal companion. And besides, they can expertly track, so I could train my Render for man-trailing or a as a rescue render; in my imagination it will probably do as good as most dedicated dogs in this regard, but due to the semi-upright walking and its sheer strength, it could probably do a lot of things most dogs can't do, like climbing or carrying someone. And hey, if you don't think that a miniature render bringing home a missing child from the woods in his huge bulking arms while making soft calming sounds is just adorable, I probably don't want to talk to you anymore.

Lord Torath
2013-09-06, 11:19 AM
An undead mummy! Just think of all the fun: Yes, I know, it's against the rules. Humor me for a few verses.

Let me tell you 'bout my buddy; he's 3,000 years old.
He's wrapped up in bandages and covered in moldy debris.
My undead mummy and me!

When some bully tries to punch me in the eye,
I'll introduce him to my decomposing guy, and he'll flee!
My undead mummy and me.

Oh the kids at school are gonna have a conniption
When they get a load of my ancient Egyptian M.C.!
My undead mummy and me!

Seriously, though, I'd take the tiger or an Elven Cat (the kind that can change size from a tabby to a tiger). Soft, fluffy, and still able to rip the throat out of your enemies. :belkar:

My wife wants the Poofs from the Touched by an Alien series.

TheCountAlucard
2013-09-06, 11:49 AM
Ahh, Phineas and Ferb. :smallsmile:

kidnicky
2013-09-06, 08:57 PM
Owlbear no question.

Toy Killer
2013-09-07, 12:11 AM
Spider-eater. MM1 for 3.5, not only a flying mount, but hideous and perfect maneuverability (if I'm not mistaken).

Plus, I hate spiders.