PDA

View Full Version : Improved Elemental Weapons (PEACH)

Der_DWSage
2013-09-02, 04:27 AM
Something I've never particularly liked is that elemental weapons seem so...forgettable. Sure, your flaming sword adds 1d6 fire damage, a marked improvement for, say, a Rapier...but after that, it doesn't really do anything. With that in mind, I'm throwing out a few ideas for tweaking.

In all of these cases, [Element] can be substituted for Electric, Fire, Ice, or Acid, unless specifically noted otherwise. I simply didn't want to do four entries for what were essentially the same thing.

Weapon Property:Elemental Fury (+2 enhancement)
Valid for both melee and ranged weapons.
This weapon adds 1 point of [Element] damage. In addition, a character may choose to subtract up to -5 from his attack roll, and add double that amount as [Element] damage to their attack. If this is a two-handed weapon, they may triple the amount. This extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.
Prerequisites:Caster level 7th, One of the following spells:Fireball(Flame Fury), Lightning Bolt(Electrical Fury), Melf's Acid Arrow (Acidic Fury), Sleet Storm (Icy Fury) OR the feat Elemental Substitution for any of the above.

Weapon Property:Greater Elemental Fury (+3 Enhancement)
Valid for both melee and ranged weapons.
This weapon adds 2 points of [Element] damage. In addition, a character may choose to subtract up to -10 from his attack roll, and add double that amount as [Element] damage to their attack. If this is a two-handed weapon, they may triple the amount. This extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.
Prerequisites:Caster level 11th, One of the following spells:Fireball(Flame Fury), Lightning Bolt(Electrical Fury), Cloudkill (Acidic Fury), Cone of Cold (Icy Fury) OR the feat Elemental Substitution for any of the above.

Weapon Property:Wind Dancer Weapon (+2 Enhancement)
Valid for melee and ranged weapons.
This weapon fills the wielder with agility and grace, and it translates to their movements. The wielder may subtract up to their dexterity modifier from damage, and add it to attack rolls. This makes it a favorite of Rogues and Swashbucklers. Additionally, 1/day, the wielder may use precision damage even if their opponent is not flatfooted or flanked. This does not allow them to use precision damage on opponents that are immune to it, such as those with heavy fortification.

Weapon Property:Earth's Stoic Weapon (+2 Enhancement)
Valid for melee weapons
This weapon fills the owner with the rigidity of stone, and their combat style often changes accordingly. The wielder may subtract up to their constitution modifier from AC, and apply double that amount as temporary HP for 1 round. Additionally, this weapon grants the wearer a +4 competence bonus against any effects that would knock them off their feet, such as tripping and earthquakes.

Weapon Property:Fire's Raging Weapon (+2 Enhancement)
Valid for melee weapons
This weapon fills the owner with rage and pain, often times losing their minds mid-battle. The wielder may subtract up to their Strength modifier from Attack rolls and apply double that amount to damage. In addition, they can go into a rage 1/day, granting a +4 Competence bonus to Strength and Constitution, while lowering their AC by 2.

Weapon Property:Lightning's Erratic Weapon (+2 Enhancement)
Valid for ranged weapons
This weapon is often erratic, aiming wherever it pleases with little consideration of the consequences. The wielder may subtract up to their dexterity modifier from attack rolls, and add double that amount to their damage. In addition, the wielder gains a +4 competence bonus to hit and damage the first time they successfully strike any unique foe in combat. (IE, this bonus applies when hitting a Goblin and then hitting an Orc, but cannot be applied more than once, even with iterative attacks.)

Hm. That's actually a few more than I intended to throw out there. I'll likely fix this up a bit more later...

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-02, 09:06 PM
Woah. These are crazy good. +1d6 elemental damage may be boring, but it's mathematically proven* to be the best +1 enhancement by a very large margin. I think they're cool, but my gut feeling says they'd be better priced at +3.

*I can dig up my calculations for you, but it is the best except at high levels or optimization, at which point Keen takes over