PDA

View Full Version : Undead Encounters

AlanBruce
2013-09-02, 05:17 AM
Greetings! I'm DMing a campaign that will eventually take the party to deal with a lot of undead.

The party composition, all ECL 9 now. Chances are they'll be ECL 10 or 11 by the time they reach the undead heavy arc.

Grey elf Beguiler 9

Grey elf conjurer 9

Human Necromancer 9

Petal bard 7

Human Dragon Shaman 9

Drow Eilistree Touched (The "good" variation of the Lolth touched, for fluff reasons) wiz1/paladin of freedom 5

Human paragon 3/Cleric 1/ Church inquisitor 3/Prestige paladin 2

They are quite effective in combat, with the shaman and bard using fast healing through class features and items to keep them alive and the the others using debuffs and firepower in a most efficient manner. Not to mention the melee, who hits often and hard.

So now I wish to make seven mooks that work for a lich later on for them to face. I was looking at Libris Mortis for ideas. This is what I have so far. Libris Mortis is a great book, but any are good to go, provided each mook is not beyond CR 10.

Entomber ftr2/paladin of tyranny 2

Slaughter Wight rogue 2

Deathlock clr3/wiz3/MT1

And that's as far as I've gone, sadly. I know there would be a lot more interesting builds. And if you have any ideas, I would love to read them up.

As mentioned before, the party is numerous and very efficient, but I doubt I would have a square off 7 vs. 7 because, after all these are undead and as such, resistant to a lot of things the PCs may throw at them.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

Thank you very much in advance.

Waker
2013-09-02, 05:41 AM
Were you going for any particular theme with these mooks or did you just want seven monsters to face your seven heroes? I'll make just one suggestion for now.
Allip Bard- They are incorporeal undead, making them difficult to restrain with most BFC effects. The allip gets a fairly noticeable boost to Charisma, which helps with it's casting and music. You might benefit from Spellbreaker Song from Complete Mage to hinder the party casters.

ArcturusV
2013-09-02, 05:51 AM
I kinda like the idea of a twinned boss myself. I was going to suggest something like two specters, perhaps Specters with 2 levels of Sorcerer. Give them Dark Chant as well (Which would give them +5 turn resistance), that should ensure that your Cleric or Paladin doesn't get some lucky turn result to ruin the fight with one standard action. Depending on how you set their spell load out not only could they be an interesting fight despite being somewhat below level for the party, but also have a nice thematic feel and back story to the Twin Bosses that will make them stand out a bit more.

Don't got my books here to full flesh out or look into the idea. Was just something that popped into my mind.

dantiesilva
2013-09-02, 09:32 AM
He actually has to twin sister bosses...They are quite effective in fact and dangerous. And As a paladin if you can actually turn something of your level I congratulate you. As Most of the ways to do so cost feats.

My old build when facing this was a Cleric/RSoP who optimized on turning undead and making them go splat. I wanted a different feel to it this time as well as not using OOC knowledge.

Alan saying I know how thee boss is, and how all undead are made from him The allip Idea is a good one even without bard levels.

AlanBruce
2013-09-02, 03:13 PM
Thank you for the great ideas.

About the mooks, some background.

They were lead by the leader (now a lich) to seek a source of great necromantic power. They found it, but at the cost of their mortal souls. The group the lich lead were cult members of Nerull, so ideally some casters amongst them, but also some muscle and skills to survive the journey there.

Waker
2013-09-02, 06:03 PM
So they were an adventuring party that went all super evil, got it. Well, just to give you some more unusual ideas:

Necrocarnum Zombie Incarnate- The necrocarnum zombie is something of a far cry from the usual zombie. They retain their intelligence, can move normally but can actually be very fast if they invest essentia into their special ability and have good saves. As an evil meldshaper, he would have access to necrocarnum melds, letting him boost or create his own necrocarnum zombie underling. Choose whichever base race suits your fancy.