PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Druid Wildshape tools

Ketiara
2013-09-02, 06:13 AM
Hi all

So what tools do you guys use for easily managing your wild shape stats and abilities? Do you write it by hand in a sheet? Or do you use a excell sheet or an app of some sort?

I'm using hero forge for my characters and Animal companion from the same site as Hero forge, but I was wondering if one for wild shape existed? And if not, if any good alternatives were around.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

ArcturusV
2013-09-02, 06:27 AM
Few times I ran a druid with wild shape? I went low tech and did what I'd basically do for spell selection anyway. Spent about the first week between sessions researching various creatures to shift into. Picked my top selection. Made little index cards with the pertinent stats on 'em.

Takes more prep time, perhaps. But a lot easier at the table when I can just go "WHAM, I'MMA BEAR!" and throw down my bear index card so my stats are right there.

bekeleven
2013-09-02, 06:34 AM
First thing is to always have the official wild shape rules (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules) on hand.

Personally, I made a custom sheet (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1xaeJs8JombAJln7DbLAyNkAXtwoV6NPYJfAb_H7QwUw/edit) for my custom shapeshanging class, but it's easy enough to adapt. The things you'd need for each form:

STR, DEX, and CON. You'll be applying some of these to your attack rolls, base saves, grapple, and AC.
Your natural armor. You need it for AC.
Size. You need it for a bunch of things.
Movement speeds, of course.
You may wish to precalculate your saves (using your base save bonus and misc mods), attack rolls (using BAB, magic weapons, size, and misc mods), Grapple mods (Size, STR, BAB, Misc), and AC (using dex, NA, size, and misc). If you do make sure to update these each time you level!
Attack routines. Personally I write down just the attacks (primary first) and trust myself to recognize which get 1.5STR, 1STR or .5STR (generally single primary=1.5STR, double primary=STR, and all secondary=.5STR), but you may want to write down your damage to make it faster.
All extraordinary special attacks, e.g. improved grab, swallow whole, what have you.
IF GOING INTO MASTER OF MANY FORMS, you'll want EX SQ as well, such as fast healing, regeneration, LLV and Darkvision, Scent, etc.

lianightdemon
2013-09-02, 09:29 AM
When I was playing a egoist psion, I used excel to make a character sheet and programmed the formulas so when I needed to change forms I simple typed the number of the form into a square labelled polymorph and it automatically changed all my stats to work with it. This took a while as for each additional form I wanted to turn into I had to add to every single formula that was on the sheet and would be effected by the polymorph. I also worked it so it would alter my psicrystals stats as well.

It works well if you are good at using excel.

It was nice as it also let me add magical boosts without having to recalculate as the polymorph stats replaced the base stats and those still required magical or other boosts to be added on.

eggynack
2013-09-02, 01:23 PM
I just went into mythweavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php) and made up a sheet for everything ever. That includes my character, wild shape forms, animal companions, and summons. It's a little arduous, but there's only really a handful of forms you'd want to enter regularly.