PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Planar Binding min/max

Renen
2013-09-02, 11:13 AM
Anyone know of a guide or some such I can look at if I want to be good at planar binding? Some of those outsiders have ridiculously good mods to break free.

Renen
2013-09-02, 02:29 PM
>_< :smallfrown:

Vaz
2013-09-02, 02:32 PM
I don't play pathfinder, so I cannot answer. Most of the Planar Binding boosts come from Splatbooks.

But it's been like 3 hours? Chill your beans!

Psyren
2013-09-02, 02:39 PM
The common "Put glass of water outside circle, geas them to drink it, leave the room for a few days" trick looks like it still works in PF. Make sure you boost your CL as much as you can when you make the circle though so that their daily SR check can't break free.

Renen
2013-09-02, 03:19 PM
Love the new avatar Psy.

Is there a way to keep the summon around for longer than 1 day per CL? Because I wanna summon Half-Celestial Unicorn and ride it around. But his stats are so good to break free, and even if i break him the limit is 1 day per CL.

Psyren
2013-09-02, 03:25 PM
Thank you - and can't you just bind a new one at some point before the old one runs out? You have several days to replenish your slots after all.

Renen
2013-09-02, 03:45 PM
Hmm I guess I can. Any tips on overcoming it's 15 SR?

Vaz
2013-09-02, 03:56 PM
Be Level 14+?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-02, 04:12 PM
Does spell penetration applies to Circle against X? If it does that is one way, CL increases also help.

Renen
2013-09-02, 04:14 PM
What about breaking away using charisma check. Does it use full charisma score? Or just the charisma modifier?

Psyren
2013-09-02, 04:36 PM
Does spell penetration applies to Circle against X? If it does that is one way, CL increases also help.

Good question. I would say yes, but if you want to be absolutely technical, the creature is trying to overcome your CL with its SR rather than the normal situation, which is the other way around.

What about breaking away using charisma check. Does it use full charisma score? Or just the charisma modifier?

1d20 + modifier. The DC weights this in your favor but outsiders tend to have pretty high Cha regardless.

Renen
2013-09-02, 04:45 PM
Well in that case im not too worried, the unicorn has a +8 modifier, but he will have to bead a DC of
15 (base)
5 (1/2 CL)
5 (Base CHA)
2 (Boosted CHA)
1 (Trait that gives me 1 for CHA checks)

28 total

So it wont actually be that hard then :D

TuggyNE
2013-09-02, 04:49 PM
Hmm I guess I can. Any tips on overcoming it's 15 SR?

Use a calling diagram per magic circle against evil; properly prepared, SR will not function at all.

"Check" means modifier without exception.

deuxhero
2013-09-06, 01:23 AM
One positive change for binders in PF is that Shades can do Greater Planar Binding now because Shades had some changes.

How it works is anyone's guess.

As for charisma check, there are a bunch of items that add to checks (Circlet of Persuasion, which luckily does not use the Circlet slot, is the most famous and dirt cheep when you get Planar Binding)

Psyren
2013-09-06, 07:41 AM
One positive change for binders in PF is that Shades can do Greater Planar Binding now because Shades had some changes.

No it can't - it inherits from Shadow Conjuration, which is [creation] or [summoning] only, not [calling]. All it changes is the level. If it said "ALL conjuration spells of 8th-level or lower" you would be correct.

Erik Vale
2013-09-06, 07:56 AM

How it works is anyone's guess.

I thought it did that normally *shrug*, something to double check.

As for how it works, instead of calling a actually creature, your instead calling the rather real shadow of a creature... At least, that's how I fluff it.