PDA

View Full Version : The Gambler Wizard: How to Build in 3.5

Tokuhara
2013-09-02, 01:03 PM
This was a small caveat of curiosity that has exploded into a fully-fleshed concept. However, I have a couple problems as of this moment:

1. The actual randomizer itself. I planned on using a deck of 54 standard playing cards (52 + 2 Jokers) to determine what actual spell I am using that round. However, at level 5 (currently), I don't know if there are 52 spells available (the two Jokers are "Pick Your Spell" cards), so if anyone could design a list of the spells that would work well for being 100% randomized, I'd be thankful here.

2. The optimization end. Note that I said this is a Wizard themed as a Gambler, relying purely on luck to affect a combat. I know for a fact I want Fatespinner levels (Excellent Fluff and Crunch for this kind of PC) and Wild Mage Levels (More Random with Sexy Flavor), but here's the question: How can one optimize a Human Generalist to be able to best utilize a truly mercurial spell list? On a side note, if y'all can, more spells/day would be appreciated.

The mechanics: Exactly as wizard, fluffed as him using the cards as a focus. He's still "preparing" the spells he wants, just that he doesn't know what spell he's going to use and does this with a mild Religious bent

Player Reasons: I play the same exact "assembly line Wizard" every time I roll up a wizard, so this time, I want variety and a self-imposed challenge of utilizing a random spell to the best of its ability in a combat. If I pull bad, I need to be able to see if I can creatively use this spell to do what I need it to do. Anyone can Batman all day long, but a true expert can utilize any spell and make it work in any combat (just about).

Shloogorgh
2013-09-02, 02:01 PM
Here's an idea:

Take two visually distinct decks of cards. Each suit corresponds to 1 of the 8 schools of magic.

Remove any numbered cards that are above what spell level you can cast. So if you can cast 5th level spells, remove cards 6-9 until you get higher level spells. 10s can be zero level spells, or removed entirely if you don't want that risk.

Jacks, Queens, and Kings can correspond to magic item effects or whatever, otherwise they can be removed too. Or maybe they can be any choice of spell, like the joker, except confined to whatever school their suit determines. Also, universal school spells could belong here.

This way when you draw a card it'll determine spell level and school, but you'll still have a small degree of choice in the exact spell used.

Tokuhara
2013-09-02, 04:06 PM
Here's an idea:

Take two visually distinct decks of cards. Each suit corresponds to 1 of the 8 schools of magic.

Remove any numbered cards that are above what spell level you can cast. So if you can cast 5th level spells, remove cards 6-9 until you get higher level spells. 10s can be zero level spells, or removed entirely if you don't want that risk.

Jacks, Queens, and Kings can correspond to magic item effects or whatever, otherwise they can be removed too. Or maybe they can be any choice of spell, like the joker, except confined to whatever school their suit determines. Also, universal school spells could belong here.

This way when you draw a card it'll determine spell level and school, but you'll still have a small degree of choice in the exact spell used.

That's actually insanely clever. That gives me a little variety, but what I really want to do is the "How can I use this spell to better affect the combat" effect.

For instance: Let's say I pull the 4 of Clubs, which is corresponded to Wall of Ice. However, the encounter is 2 Winter Wolves and some goblin Archers. I can slap that wall in front of our noncombat PC (a diplomancer in-essence) and cover him or I could use it to make a B-Line to the Fighter for my cleric to get past the archers.

But yea. 2 decks of cards with certain spells tagged to them is a nice idea, making up for the shortcomings of my rather clumsy "52 Spells + 2 Freebies" idea.

Vaz
2013-09-02, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a Warmage fits a bit better, as if you pick up a noncombat spell that you've chosen for utility in mid combat, then you're gimped.

As you don't prepare, being spontaneous makes it more mechanically viable.

Arcane Disciple (Luck), Trickery, chaos or destiny could all work.

Tokuhara
2013-09-02, 04:35 PM
Sounds like a Warmage fits a bit better, as if you pick up a noncombat spell that you've chosen for utility in mid combat, then you're gimped.

As you don't prepare, being spontaneous makes it more mechanically viable.

Arcane Disciple (Luck), Trickery, chaos or destiny could all work.

Well, the divination non-combat spells would be unaffected by my "deck rule" and I'm basically rebuilding and must stay within the race/class combo I was (Human Wizard in this case)