PDA

View Full Version : Tweak to Juggernaut

Cheiromancer
2013-09-02, 03:33 PM
I am exploring Frank & K's Races of War (available for browsing here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Races_of_War_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29) and in a pdf bundle with other material here (https://sites.google.com/site/middendorfproject/frankpdf)). I think that, mechanically, the book needs to be dialed back a notch or two, but that is the subject for a different thread. What I am interested in is a tweak to the "Juggernaut" scaling feat.

Juggernaut [Combat]
You are an unstoppable Juggernaut.
+0: You may be considered one size category larger for the purposes of any size dependent roll you make (such as a Bull Rush, Overrun, or Lift action).
+1: You do not provoke an attack of opportunity for entering an opponent’s square.
+6: You gain a +4 bonus to attack and damage rolls to destroy objects. You may shatter a Force Effect by inflicting 30 damage on it.
+11: When you successfully bullrush or overrun an opponent, you automatically Trample them, inflicting damage equal to a natural slam attack for a creature of your adjusted size.
+16: You gain the Rock Throwing ability of any standard Giant with a strength equal to or less than yourself.

Frank & K are of the opinion that feat chains do not work, and so designed feats that give additional benefits as your BAB increased. (Skill Feats would improve based on skill ranks.) If their solution seems overpowered, pretend that the above is a feat chain with five different feats. What I am looking for is a replacement for the last one.

The +16 benefit doesn't seem to fit with the others; juggernaut doesn't seem to be about throwing things. It's all melee, not ranged attacks. Well, maybe there is a thematic connection to giant-style rock throwing (since giants are big and strong), but to me it doesn't quite work. But I can't think of what to replace Rock Throwing with. Any ideas?

(And for those of you with experience with Races of War - how do you incorporate an ACF like Dungeon Crasher (Dungeonscape, p. 10)? It's a great ability, but not worth giving up two scaling feats to get.)

Amnoriath
2013-09-02, 04:21 PM
I am exploring Frank & K's Races of War (available for browsing here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Races_of_War_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29) and in a pdf bundle with other material here (https://sites.google.com/site/middendorfproject/frankpdf)). I think that, mechanically, the book needs to be dialed back a notch or two, but that is the subject for a different thread. What I am interested in is a tweak to the "Juggernaut" scaling feat.

Juggernaut [Combat]
You are an unstoppable Juggernaut.
+0: You may be considered one size category larger for the purposes of any size dependent roll you make (such as a Bull Rush, Overrun, or Lift action).
+1: You do not provoke an attack of opportunity for entering an opponent’s square.
+6: You gain a +4 bonus to attack and damage rolls to destroy objects. You may shatter a Force Effect by inflicting 30 damage on it.
+11: When you successfully bullrush or overrun an opponent, you automatically Trample them, inflicting damage equal to a natural slam attack for a creature of your adjusted size.
+16: You gain the Rock Throwing ability of any standard Giant with a strength equal to or less than yourself.

Frank & K are of the opinion that feat chains do not work, and so designed feats that give additional benefits as your BAB increased. (Skill Feats would improve based on skill ranks.) If their solution seems overpowered, pretend that the above is a feat chain with five different feats. What I am looking for is a replacement for the last one.

The +16 benefit doesn't seem to fit with the others; juggernaut doesn't seem to be about throwing things. It's all melee, not ranged attacks. Well, maybe there is a thematic connection to giant-style rock throwing (since giants are big and strong), but to me it doesn't quite work. But I can't think of what to replace Rock Throwing with. Any ideas?

(And for those of you with experience with Races of War - how do you incorporate an ACF like Dungeon Crasher (Dungeonscape, p. 10)? It's a great ability, but not worth giving up two scaling feats to get.)

Yeah I completely understand your criticism. I am actually quite surprised for a feat that is called Juggernaut it actually doesn't help, action economy wise, to make it unstoppable. Seeing as this system doesn't resurrect the overrun maneuver add an ability that allows those with the Juggernaut option to make special bullrush checks. The Juggernaut may attempt to bullrush opponents during his movement but he may not move with the opponents. He instead simply moves past them. He can also try to render them prone but takes a -5 penalty in his check to do so. He may make as many of these kind of bullrushes equal to 1/2 his strength modifier per single move action. He may do it once as part of a 5-foot step.