PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Psicrystals

elykkai
2013-09-02, 04:36 PM
Now before i get an epic group attack against me. i dont own the epic psionic book. i have tons of free digital book (including the psion)version of them from the internet, thank you people for sharing. but i dont know if i am missing anything.

i am thinking of starting a new campaign character as a psion(or another similar, they r all nice) and rogue. now from what i can tell to get a psicrystal you need the psicrystal affinity feat.
now the feat doesn't have any limits on having more than 1, or much about replacing them, n there doesnt seem to be any drawback/backlash for them being destroyed.

so i was wondering is it ok to have many.
or if i have many should i have 1 main one any the others as sides with limited personality and such.

my goal to use them is to scout out areas, protect myself when sleeping, and possibly from getting flanked,
i was even hoping of making many (one per ally character) to tag along with them for communication purposes(similar to a cheap alternative to status). player 1 tells info about area or monster or request help to stone...stone1 tells master or other stone directly....then stone2 tells player2 the request.

I am just hoping to enjoy the freedom more than having a familiar go in and dieing....wanna laugh recently made a NEWBIE mistake. i had my psudodragon familiar hold my wand of fireballs that i found(forgot to tell him not to use it). i normally have my little friend use his ring of healing on me or friend if we are dieing or losing. but when we were fighting a Balor i got hit massive and my familiar try to come to the rescue blasting the Balor and me and company with fireballs.damn near killing us as the Balor LAUGHED, he teleported to my familiar and showed him the difference in strength. and the backlash finished me off. :smallfurious:

Psyren
2013-09-02, 04:43 PM
1) Feats can only be taken once unless specifically stated otherwise, so you can't simply keep retaking Psicrystal Affinity to get multiple psicrystals. The only way I know of to get multiple psicrystals without cheese is in epic levels.

2) In 3.5, the rules are silent on how to replace a psicrystal if one is lost/destroyed. You'll have to work something out with your DM.

3) Your psicrystal can't prevent you from getting flanked. Even if you put it in the square behind you, it is Diminutive and so monsters can simply stand in the same square and get the bonus.

4) Watching over you while you sleep and scouting are viable uses of your crystal. But again, be sure to talk with your DM before you put it in danger as far as what can be done to replace it if the worst should occur.

Lord Haart
2013-09-02, 04:45 PM
If you're asking whether or not it's possible by rules, then no, there's a blanket rule that states "the same feat cannot be taken multiple times unless it explicitly says it can".

If, however, you're asking whether allowing for multiple psicrystals is balanced… Sorry, but it certainly can break the game. Not by using is as you described, though, which might be a slight consolidation.

elykkai
2013-09-02, 04:57 PM
forgot to add

1...what if i had the craft construct feat.do you think that would allow me to make more than one. that alone? or maybe

2....what if i also take the psionic affity feat?

(Arcanecrystal)what would be your opinions on using the craft construct feat as an arcane spell caster to make an arcane version? using arcane CL eqivilent instead of manefester level
A...should i treat it as a construct only n not as familiar

B...or maybe treat as a homunculus(use permanent value use some gem value 100GP/CL =HD of psicrystal + 100XP)(standard homonculus Cost 1,050 gp + 78 XP... reflection of me as i get stronger, just as psicrystal)

Maginomicon
2013-09-02, 05:06 PM
Leadership or Thrallherd + Make every one of them an erudite = Multiple psicrystals.

Greenish
2013-09-02, 05:12 PM
2) In 3.5, the rules are silent on how to replace a psicrystal if one is lost/destroyed. You'll have to work something out with your DM.I've always assumed that you'd just grow a new one. It'd sprout from your forehead. :smalltongue:

Maginomicon
2013-09-02, 05:19 PM
I've always assumed that you'd just grow a new one. It'd sprout from your forehead. :smalltongue:

Very very oddly, the original RAW rules in the SRD say nothing of what happens if a psicrystal dies. Thus, if a psicrystal dies, use the rules from the Complete Psionic errata for Elemental Envoys (which are essentially an alternate psicrystal):

However, if your [psicrystal] dies you suffer no additional consequences, and a new one automatically replaces the previous one twelve hours later.
That said, if you personally destroy your own psicrystal, you should consider the psychological ramifications of this and whether you should be under psychiatric care.

There you go then. ;p