PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding AoO during a flyby as a druid shapeshifter

aza9999
2013-09-02, 05:13 PM
I'm using the shapeshift variant druid which means i can shapeshift into a flying creature at will (but gain no special qualities of that creature).

At level 7 i've now gained flyby attack while in aerial form, which i thought was like spring attack (no attacks of opportunity) but it turns out it provokes AoO as normal.

What options do i have to try to avoid attacks of opportunity as im swooping down on my foes?

As a druid i obviously don't have points in tumble, so i'm not sure what else there is.

Galvin
2013-09-02, 09:31 PM
Spring Attack used in conjunction with Fly by Attack can prevent AoO. On the other hand, this option is dramatically feat heavy. I would just recommend some cross class ranks in Tumble.

Greenish
2013-09-02, 09:42 PM
Spring Attack used in conjunction with Fly by Attack can prevent AoO. On the other hand, this option is dramatically feat heavy. I would just recommend some cross class ranks in Tumble.Skilled City-Dweller ACF from Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) allows you to swap Ride for Tumble as a class skill.

Other options would include having more reach than the enemy, or only swooping at enemies who've already used their AoO (or been prevented from doing so, for example by a crusader).

Gavinfoxx
2013-09-02, 09:50 PM
Remember you can Tumble while flying...

Crake
2013-09-02, 09:59 PM
If you can find some way to get concealment, that will stop the majority of AoO as well. There's a first level shadow hand stance, child of shadow, that grants you concealment if you move more than 10 feet, so that synergises pretty well with flyby attack. Of course, thats either 2 feats or a swordsage dip to pick up.