PDA

View Full Version : 23's Haunting of Harrowstone

Number23
2013-09-02, 05:15 PM
Two weeks ago each of you received a letter from one Kendra Lorrimor. The letters arrived by way of a raven colored the deepest black with white eyes. After delivering its letter the raven dissipated into white mist. Enclosed along with the letter was a small pin in the shape of a golden scarab.

The Letter:

To Whom it May Concern,
It falls upon me to inform you that my father, your friend, Professor Petros Lorrimor of Lepidstadt University, has died. By the time this letter reaches you he will have been dead for 2 days. The funeral is set to take place in two weeks and I would like to extend an invitation to you. I say invitation, but in reality it is more that I implore you attend. My father's Will was left with explicit instructions that it was not to be read unless several select people were present. Your name was among them.

Also enclosed in this envelope is a small pin, as you have no doubt noticed. Keep it on hand and it will ensure that you arrive on time for the funeral, no matter where you might be when this letter finds you. My father was always over prepared like this. Make sure that you are dressed for travel and have everything you might wish to bring with you.

I pray that I see you soon and that you are safe until that time comes.

Sincerely: Kendra Lorrimor

In keeping with the words of the letter, you each kept the pin close, unsure exactly of what it would do, although perhaps suspicious. Two weeks after the arrival of the letter, today, as you were going about your usual business, or perhaps waiting to see how exactly this pin would operate, it activated. The world seemed to melt around you; first with color drained away and then the objects, leaving nothing but a black void. This lasted only for a few seconds. Soon afterward the void was once again filled with light.

You now each stand at the front entrance to what appears to be a graveyard. A mahogany coffin lies on the ground nearby. Eleven other people stand about. Five of them, an old man with graying hair, a somewhat rotund middle aged man, a young boy maybe 12 or 13 years old, a balding middle aged man, and middle aged woman with curly blond hair, stand shocked. Surprised by your sudden appearance. Five of them look staggered as if they had just gone through quite an ordeal. The last one, a young woman in a maroon dress with brown hair pulled back in a bun, has a small smile on what would otherwise be considered a somber face.

She speaks in a voice that is tinged with sadness, but her voice does not tremble. "I'm glad to see that you all made it safely. Welcome to Ravengro. While I know each of your names I'm afraid I can't put those names to the faces. Might I ask you to introduce yourselves?"

AngryCyc
2013-09-02, 05:32 PM
"Miro. My name is Miro... And that's. ...wow. There he is...!i can't believe it..."

Miro stares at the coffin and goes quiet...

Bhaakon
2013-09-02, 07:17 PM
Irina's mouth gapes and twitches like landlocked grouper's as she fights to hold back her gorge. Surprise magic travel was certainly a new one, and on a full stomach. By the Starsong, just be thankful that you'd completed your ablutions before breaking your fast, she tells herself as she finally gets her gagging under control.

"Irina," She finally manages to spit out between pale lips. "Irina Kozmir. You must be Kendra? Unc...er, the Professor Lorrimor spoke of you often."

Well, not terribly often. All right, hardly ever. The man could be as single-minded as an owlbear when he was interested in something, but a funeral was the place for consoling platitudes, not painful truths.

Roguenewb
2013-09-02, 08:03 PM
"Ralus... Though most people call me Doc or Ral. Pleasure to make your acquaintance, but all things being equal, not my favorite way to travel. " . I say, a sad smile slowly forming on my lips. The initial disorientation and frustration fades away, to be left for a moment of uncertaininty. Quickly however, I make the connection, this must be the funeral for Professor Lorrimor. An unlikely fellow, Lorrimor. Not too many of the 'mundane sciences' attract those who'll go out in the field. Too bad he didn't know how to read signs of a wolf pack in the area, good thing I had a torch, and know how easy it is to scare them away. I think, with levity. I only barely catch myself before the memory of the professor flailing in front of the wolves makes me give a slight laugh. As it is, I'm sure they saw me brighten with a bit of humor. Oh well, no use in laying traps for dead rabbits, as my father used to say.

I turn my face clearly to the woman who spoke, which must of course be Kendra, pretty daughter for such a plain man, the professor. "My condolences, I was deeply sad to learn of the professor's death. I only met him once I'm afraid, when he stumbled into a pack of hunting wolves near where I was working on stopping an outbreak of rattles, but he seemed like a good man" I take my hat off and hold it sadly on two hands before my chest, trying to project a sadness and empathy to the poor daughter. I've got too much practice talking to grieving children, parents too for that matter...

Razahiel
2013-09-03, 02:58 AM
Khenner glances around quickly, moving a hand to an axe strapped to his back, before realizing there wasn't an immediate threat.

"Nice to meet you folk, names Khenner. Glad most people don't travel that way, I'd probably be out of a job." He glances to the coffin, now realizing what it actually was. "Oh, uh, apologies."

Great, I'm making good impressions already.

The Dragon
2013-09-03, 04:47 AM
Grigor Mordrikov looked around, somewhat disoriented. Just moments before, he'd been sparring in the yard of the Ozem knights' headquarters, a country away, as his training sword and shield, polished and emblazened with the flaming sword of Iomedae bore testament to. Aside from the shield, there was nothing polished about him. His cloak, which he wore over a mail of metal scales, was heavy and practical, as were his other clothes.

His face held the deep furrows of a man who worried more than he smiled, and his hair was going grey, turning his once black mane the color of steel.

He put the training sword down, breathing heavily as he took in the scene before him, shifting his weight. His leg had pained him after fights ever since that walking dead took a bite out of it.

"Grigor Mordrikov. My condolences. He was a good man." He brought his hand up to the symbol hanging around his neck.

u-b
2013-09-03, 10:00 AM
Ebert was not a man to leave the transportation of his horse to chance and unknown nature of some unidentified magic brooch. And since identifying said brooch was more expensive than just riding to the place where Lorimor would like to have himself underground, Ebert rode. He arrived in town late night yesterday, a couple of days later than he expected, due to road conditions and a need to re-shoe his horse. When he woke up late morning and inquired about professor's funeral, innkeeper told that it is indeed planned for today, and even might be underway already. So Ebert was riding towards the graveyard and almost had it in sight whe moment he was yanked by magical forces and transported the rest of the way. He was not as surprised as his horse and managed to calm down the animal before any of the surrounding people were hurt. Then he dismounted.

"Ebert Malkovich. I worked for the man."

Number23
2013-09-03, 12:01 PM
By the time introductions are done, the others seem to have mostly regained their composure, although the both the rotund man and the balding man eye the Changeling and Half-Elf with suspicion.

"It is a pleasure." Kendra says, nodding in acknowledgement. Any other pleasantries will have to wait for the moment, the Father and his gravediggers are waiting for us at the burial site." She address the 10 assembled people as a whole now. "Who would volunteer carry the coffin along the Dreamwake and bring my father to his final resting place?"

The woman steps forward instantly when the question asked. "I shall." Her eyes are fierce and glitter slightly from the tears she is trying to hold back.

The coffin is has six poles radiating from its base, three on either side. As few as four people could carry it, but up to six may if they so wish.

AngryCyc
2013-09-03, 12:11 PM
Miro

"I.. errm... Hm."

Miro can barely reach up to the height that the coffin would be carried at... Also he isn't exactly strong. He appears visibly distraught that he is unable to assist more though.

Oh. Hey. How'd he die? ...Do you need me to roll for it? I can roll for it. Knowledge(Local) [roll0]
Miro would've wanted to know how he died as soon as he heard about the death.

Roguenewb
2013-09-03, 12:23 PM
Ralus

I look at the gathered people, all of the strangers at the funeral for a man I barely met. I'm not sure what to do, but in this instance, I may be a bit stronger than some, and then I guess I should bend my back and help say goodbye to the professor.

"I will, if it doesn't inconvienence anyone," I say, slowly, trying to make it clear that I don't mind at all. I stow by wide brimmed traveller's hat, and grasp on the handles. Ugh. Never say a good deed doesn't hurt.

The Dragon
2013-09-03, 03:29 PM
Grigor speaks up. "I would." He's sad that the professor died. Yet, it only reinforces what he's known for a while now. All who stands against the darkness wil falter, eventually. No emotions show on his face as he walks over to the coffin, a light limp evident in his step.

Bhaakon
2013-09-03, 08:52 PM
Irina waits a moment, hoping that someone else would volunteer. Damn it, that halfling certainly isn't going to help, and now that gimpy knight. Bah.

"Ahem, I-I'll lend a hand." She says reluctantly, and moves to one of the middle poles in the hopes that whoever takes the corners will bear most of the weight.

u-b
2013-09-04, 03:42 AM
Ebert was in no particular hurry to carry the coffin. First, he never worked for professor physically and did not think now would be the best time to start. Second, there seemed enough other men to occupy all four corners; men which might have had more close-personal relations with Lorimor than Ebert had. So Ebert was going to join only if no one else would. He did not care to express this aloud.

Number23
2013-09-04, 07:24 AM
Nobody else steps forward, but the four of you are enough. With Ralus and the unknown woman in front, and Grigor and Irina in the back, the four are able to lift the coffin up to shoulder height. It is lighter than one might have expected, weighing only a mere 250 pounds.

Kendra instructs the coffin bearers to fall in behind her, and for the rest of the procession to follow the coffin. She then approaches the threshold of the graveyard. Before passing under the arch though, she stops and uses her thumb to trace a small spiral over her heart. Miro, Irina and Grigor all recognize this to be a sign of respect. A small prayer to Pharasma to protect you as you pass through her domain, and to protect the dead so that your passage does not disturb them. The procession then advances forward.

Kendra leads the procession to the left of the main entrance, following a gravel road with a signpost reading "The Dreamwake." Kendra advances slowly, respectfully, with head down.

Off the gravel path grass begins and so do the tomb stones. From what you can tell, the graveyard is quite large, and there could easily be hundreds of tombstones, many of the ones that you pass look rather old.

After about three minutes the gravel gives way to a cobblestone road marked as "The Eversleep." Kendra turns right on to the Eversleep and continues. Or would continue if not for the large contingent of men blocking the path not 30 feet away.

Thirteen men dressed as members of the working class are arrayed before you, blocking your path. Each carrying an assortment of farming tools. When they notice you turn the bend, the tallest, and by the looks of it oldest man, steps forward and shouts, “That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!”

Kendra is swift to respond, her sadness swiftly transforming into anger. "What are you talking about," she cries out. “I arranged it with Father Grimburrow. He’s waiting for us! The grave’s already been...”

"You don'd get it woman." The man interrupts. "We won’t have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still can. Folks are pretty upset about this right now.”

You are welcome to intervene at this point in the argument if you wish. If not, just say so OOC. If nobody has anything to say I have more to add to the argument.

Also, for those of you who might be looking for tactical information, Kendra is 5 feet in front of the coffin and thirty feet from the men. The mystery woman and Doc are 5 feet behind Kendra, and Grigor and Irina 5 feet behind them. The rest of the procession is arrayed a short distance behind the coffin. Miro, Ebert, and Khenner are assumed to be about 60 feet away from the closest member of the group.

Roguenewb
2013-09-04, 07:39 AM
Ralus

My ears prick up. I've seen people get like this before. In the middle of a bad plague, famine or other unrest, sometimes the people turn against an innocent. I'm not going to let them scapegoat Kendra for something Lorrimor may or may not have done... I think, edging the dagger loose in its belt sheath. Not gonna get caught defenseless again.

Ready an action to draw and throw dagger if any of the 13 men make an attack against anyone of the people holding the casket, or Kendra.

AngryCyc
2013-09-04, 07:42 AM
Miro

Miro quickly asks someone around him, "That man, what is his name?"

As soon as he learns his name, he enters a quick trance, searching for all the information he can about the man...

1d6 rounds for Focused Trance, Knowledge(local, probably right..?) [roll0] to know things about the man that'll help prove I know a lot of things.

The Dragon
2013-09-04, 08:57 AM
Grigor looked into the eyes of each man and woan in turn. He spoke, his gruff voice raised slightly. "You would deny a dead man his funeral?"

Number23
2013-09-04, 02:33 PM
Miro:
The balding man identifies the one who stepped forward as Gibs Hephenus. As for information pertaining to Gibs, he is an ex soldier, honorably discharged. He's lived in Ravengro for almost ten years. Knew the professor, but not well. Decently well respected person in town. Not knowledgeable about magic, at all. (Fighter Levels). Not married, no family. Highly superstitious.

Looking past Kendra and staring at Grigori the man says, "You but out. Outsider's ave no say in this. The necromancer doesn't deserve ta buried here in Pharasma's realm. If you're smart you'll turn around and take him up river."

AngryCyc
2013-09-04, 04:36 PM
Miro:
The balding man identifies the one who stepped forward as Gibs Hephenus. As for information pertaining to Gibs, he is an ex soldier, honorably discharged. He's lived in Ravengro for almost ten years. Knew the professor, but not well. Decently well respected person in town. Not knowledgeable about magic, at all. (Fighter Levels). Not married, no family. Highly superstitious.

Looking past Kendra and staring at Grigori the man says, "You but out. Outsider's ave no say in this. The necromancer doesn't deserve ta buried here in Pharasma's realm. If you're smart you'll turn around and take him up river."

Stepping into the front finally, Miro addresses the man.
Hello... My name is Miro. I implore you to listen to me. Your name is Gibs, isn't it? I'm afraid you may be mistaken, and in your quest to seek justice for this cemetery, you might be forcing injustice upon this man and his loved ones.

You are mistaken in thinking he was a Necromancer. In fact I can prove to you that it was impossible for him to use Necromantic powers at all. I would not have expected for you to take me merely at my word had I not been able to provide proof. For you see, the very way that I know he was not a Necromancer is the same way I know that you were a brave and good soldier. Verily, any newcomer could see that much just in the courage you display standing up for your beliefs. Nobody is faulting you for that. In fact, I honor your bravery. I believe that you would fight us to stop an offense from befouling your home.

But there is no offense. I know this as surely as I know that you have lived in this town for 10 years. Or that I know you served as a soldier until you were honorably discharged. I know this might seek like a lot. Your mistrust of magic has served you well and has kept you safe in these dangerous lands. But I must ask you this...

Who are you to decree what Pharasma wants? If this man were a Necromancer, do you think you have more power to stop his burial than Pharasma does? But on the other hand... If Pharasma desires, as we all do, a proper burial for a good man... Then wouldn't that mean stopping his burial puts YOU against Her?

Please. Listen to my words and trust what I say. This burial is the right thing to do and should not be stopped. I'm sorry that you were not able to know the professor well enough for you to have known this already. But the Gods themselves have let me know that he was not a Necromancer!"

Edit: oh I guess I should roll diplo too. 1d20+5

Bhaakon
2013-09-04, 05:06 PM
Irina raises an eyebrow at the suddenly loquacious halfling, unsure that mystical parlor tricks and lectures on magical theory are the best way to get to these...er...simple folk.

"You know," She adds, "It would be an odd sort of necromancer who would wish to be buried in Pharasmin cemetery. Surely the good Father Grimburrow has preached on the importance of putting the dead to rest in hallowed ground, to avoid the very necromancy which you rightly fear."

Not sure if we're rolling diplomacy or aid another or something. Well, here's a diplomacy roll anyway: [roll0]

Number23
2013-09-04, 07:44 PM
Gibs eyes the Halfling suspiciously. "How..." He's obviously confused but he does try to hide it. His eyes turn to Irina as she speaks, his face regaining some sense of composure.

He purses his lips and then turns to the crowd behind him. Reluctantly, he says, "Alright... Clear out..." The crowd begins to disperse, lowering their tools and passing peacefully past you. Several people still shoot the funeral procession glares, but they all leave quietly. Gibs stops a young blonde as he begins to move and whispers a few words in his ear before allowing him to leave. Gibs himself stays where he is for a moment, looking like he wants to say something else but instead leaves, moving south and off the path, winding his way through various graves and muttering something inaudible.

Once Gibs has left, Kendra turns to Miro and Irina. "Thank you. Both of you. If you hadn't spoken up when you did I'm afraid I would have lost my temper somewhat." She looks like she wants to ask Miro something but thinks better of it and instead addresses the procession. "Let us continue."

The procession continues to the burial sight, arriving there unscathed and with no further interruptions. Waiting next to a pile of upturned earth and a gaping grave are three men. Two of them are dressed as acolytes, wearing robes and a simple rope belt. The third man looks like he shouldn't be alive anymore. His age is impossible to guess. His bald head is a wrinkled mass of grey skin with beady little eyes and great big white eyebrows.

The old man instructs the pall bearers to set the coffin down next to the grave on top of a velvet sheet before arranging the crowd along the opposite side of the grave. He then takes up position alongside the coffin and begins to speak.

Insert Scottish accent here.

Here and now, dear friends, we are Pharasma’s children.
What we shall be has not been revealed,
But we know when she appears we shall be judged by her, for she shall see us as we are.
Those who are not pure, know that all whom live and have lived must face her judgment.
Pharasma said, "I am the Resurrection and I am the Life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, yet shall they live, and whoever lives and believes in me shall never die. I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. I am death, and behold I am alive forever more, and I hold the keys of birth and death. Because I live, you shall also live."

Let us pray.
O Pharasma, who gave us birth, you are ever more ready to hear than we are to pray.
You know our needs before we ask, and our ignorance in asking. Give to us now your grace, that as we shrink before the mystery of death, we may see the light of eternity.
Speak to us once more your solemn message of life and death.
Help us to live as those who are prepared to die.
And when our days are accomplished, enable us to die as those who go forth to live, so that living or dying, our life may be in you, and that nothing in life or in death be able to separate us from the destiny we all must face. Amen.

When the father is finished, he steps away from the coffin, allowing Kendra to take his place while he stands off to the side with the two gravediggers.

"Thank you all for being here. I can not say that my father would have appreciated it. He was a rather single minded man and I doubt he would have given a second thought to his death or what would happen after had Father Grimburrow and I not forced him to sit down and write a will when turned fifty."

"There are not many good things I can say about him. He was often out and about doing one research project or another. Teaching, fighting, exploring. He was not as constant a figure in my life as I would have liked, especially considering my lack of a mother. I made do though, and I know that was always away because he was doing something important. He devoted his entire life to the study and elimination of evil. He was a powerful wizard and his work has saved countless lives. He was a true warrior of light, worthy of the court of Iomedae herself, and he shall be greatly missed."

"I pray that he finds peace."

Kendra pats the side of the coffin gently before moving away and back to crowd. Tears glisten in her eyes and on her cheeks.

It is tradition at Pharsman funerals for the living to speak truths about the deceased, both good and bad. You are each welcome to talk a little about the time you spent with the professor. If you do not wish to say anything then you do not need to, I only ask that you say as much, either mentally or OOC. Please include a Diplomacy or Perform (Oratory) check if you decide to give your own mini speech.

Bhaakon
2013-09-04, 08:12 PM
Being passingly familiar with such rites, Irina steps forward as soon as she's sure that Kendra has finished speaking.

"I can attest personally to the late Professor's tireless pursuit of good. He invested much effort into preparing me for for a frightful danger that, I hope, has passed. I'm sure the time he spent with me came at great personal cost," she glances sadly at Kendra, "and while he used the opportunity to advance his own research, I can't help but feel as if I still owe him a great debt which I'm not sure how to repay."

"For the now, the meager offer of my prayers and the Starsong's blessings are the best I can offer."

Irina concludes her short statement with a formulaic prayer and ritual gesture of benediction, then hastily steps back, fervently hoping that the others will be brief. Gods, I hate cemeteries, she thinks, fidgeting nervously.

AngryCyc
2013-09-04, 09:41 PM
Miro steps up during his turn to speak... And states simply and quietly, "he... He helped me when I didn't know what was going on, to understand how horrible things could happen to people who didn't deserve it.
...I guess he's an example of that now... Goodbye, good professor..."

And Miro steps away, blinking years out of his eyes...

diplo [roll0]

Razahiel
2013-09-04, 10:12 PM
Khenner had felt it was wise to try to stay low, given the glances he had already gotten, and knew it was for the better he didn't start any confrontation with the armed workers when the time had come either, knowing his reputation for getting along so fantastically with the commoners. He had to step up though, and speak his piece on the Professor.

"The good Professor helped me too, in a time that didn't make much sense. I'd just got started down my road when I ran into him, and we spent a good amount of time talking at length as we traveled. Even though I always felt he held back something when we spoke, I always knew he did it for a good reason, whatever that be."

He kneels down, whispering, "One day, we may be able to travel again." With that, he stepped back, before too many looks were exchanged.

Roguenewb
2013-09-05, 08:18 AM
Ralus

The eulogies, as always, bring back bad memories. Sometimes, the burials of the unfortunate dead seem like a constant unending part of my life. From the plague dead in my home, to the many I haven't been able to save, I've seen too many damn burials. But the professor seemed like a good man, and thus deserves his eulogies. Same as everyone, really.

"I, uh, only met the professor once. A half dozen miles outside of Ander's Knoll, I was camped under a hedge, waiting for daylight so I could continue to some outlying farm houses and thorps. I'd helped with an outbreak of the rattles in the Knoll, and had heard tales that the outlying farmers were real sick." I swallow deeply, farmers dying alone in Ustalav is far too common, and just thinking of the suffering gets me worked up sometimes. "So, I was chewing my hard tack and bacon that a thankful towns mother had given me for saving her son, when I heard to sound of baying wolves. It's not an uncommon sound around those parts, but when I heard shouts, I realized someone must have stumbled onto the game trail. I listened for another minute, and the noise continued, getting closer. The poor sap must not know how to scare off the wolves. I threw my gear into my pack and lit a torch as I ran. I managed to scare off the wolves, right before they tore into the professor. We talked all night, mostly about our shared place of education, and we parted in morning, towards our respective goals. I wished him well that day, and I'm sorry he met his end so soon after." I trail off, struggling for something to say about a man I only spent the one evening with. Perhaps what I've said is enough, perhaps not, but I've got nothing else to give.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Razahiel
2013-09-05, 11:03 AM
Sorry, forgot about the diplomacy check.

[roll0]

With how I picture my character, that seems about accurate.

Number23
2013-09-05, 04:07 PM
When Doc Ralus steps down, the woman with the blonde curls moves to side of the coffin and tells a tale of how, when she was a child, the professor had saved her life from an infestation of Earseekers that she had accumulated while exploring an old run down barn. She even admits to have had a bit of a crush on the older man at the time.

The rotund man follows, talking about how the professor had stopped him from purchasing stolen ale by identifying an arcane mark on the barrels. Saved him quite a bit of trouble with the border guard.

Nobody else steps forward to speak.

The two acolytes approach the coffin and, showing a surprising amount of strength for people of their size, are able to life the coffin alone and lower it gently into the hole. Picking up two shovels from beside the mound of dirt, the two gravediggers begin to cover over the grave, quickly but carefully, finishing within minutes. Only when the dirt is packed down by the shovels do the other members of the procession begin to file away.

The balding man, before leaving, approaches Kendra and exchanges a few quick words before heading off himself.

Kendra then turns to the six of you and addresses you as a group. "Again, thank you very much for all coming. I appreciate it. I hope that we can get the Will sorted out quickly so that this doesn't prove too time consuming for you all. Sir Hearthmount," she indicates the balding man making his way out of the graveyard, "is the head of the city council and therefore responsible for the reading of the Will, but he will indisposed for the next hour. Might I interest you all in joining me at my home for a midday meal while wait?"

Razahiel
2013-09-05, 04:14 PM
Khenner watches Sir Hearthmount walk walk away.

Something's not right with that guy.

"Of course, m'lady. As long as it isn't imposing," he said, realizing he had yet to eat.

Bhaakon
2013-09-05, 06:46 PM
"Yes, thank you. The events of the morning have been most draining. I'm sure for you as well."

Irina tries very hard to hide her interest behind a wall of calm politeness. Will? Am I named in the will? How unexpected. I hope he's provided a way back home after that unexpected teleportation. Maybe a way to get a message home?

AngryCyc
2013-09-05, 07:35 PM
Miro

"I will never turn down a meal!"

Roguenewb
2013-09-05, 08:43 PM
Ralus

I shift around uncomfortably. I'd rather get back on the road, but....I guess a meal can't hurt. I think, wishing I had some way to be back on my way. I understand, however, that this woman can use some friends at a meal.

"Uh, sure Kendra, let's do that. Where are we headed?" I say, hesitantly, half hoping someone would give me an out.

u-b
2013-09-06, 09:24 AM
"That's kind of you. Any specific reason this was arranged this way? I mean, given two weeks lead... or anything urgent have happened to require Sir Hearthmount's attention?"

Know (local): [roll0] - checking if Ebert knows anything specific and relevant about people he met here today (in particular about Hearthmount and Kendra, but about others too)

Number23
2013-09-06, 09:56 AM
u-b
Not much apart from what has been said today. I can give you the names of the other people though. Hearthmounts full name is Sir Vashian Hearthmount. The old man in the procession was Councilman Gharen Muricar. The rotund man was Zhokar Elkarid, he own's the local tavern. The boy is Pevrin Elkarid, Zokar's son. The woman was Jominda Fallenbridge, the owner of the local apothecary.

"Sir Hearthmount informed me that he wished to speak with Sheriff Caeller about what happened with Gibs. He doesn't expect to take too long but he said to assume it would take an hour or so."

As for where we are headed, Mr. ... Ralus? We shall be returning to my home for the midday meal while we await Sir Hearthmount.

u-b
2013-09-06, 10:32 AM
"Hmm... I think it's better if sheriff talks with this Gibs now, than after he does something stupid like defiling the grave, though I'd say he seems satisfied with the explanation received. What was all this fuss about the necromancy? I mean, the people seemed concerned. Any real undead seen nearby?"

(Ebert walks beside Kendra wherever she's going and leads the horse on the other side)

Roguenewb
2013-09-06, 10:41 AM
Ralus

I take out my broad-brimmed hat, put it on, and start to follow Kendra.

Number23
2013-09-06, 10:56 AM
Kendra leads the six of out of the graveyard, following the same paths that you had taken coming in. She answers Ebert's question as you walk.

"Undead are always potential problem here. We may not live as close to the border as some, but the district of Virlych is just to the south. Every now and then we get a wandering undead creature from the south, more often are the storms that blow out of Virlych. Truly frightful things. Some say they are created and powered by the lost souls the died in the Shining Crusade, but I've always believed that to be a myth. As for his concern with my father being a necromancer... My father did do a lot of research into the darkest of arts. He was no fan of necromancy, but he did know quite a bit about it. He believed that knowing his enemy was the greatest way to combat it and since retiring he's been all over the country, fighting evil where it showed up and learning as much obscure lore as he could. He spent the last few months of his life here though, which I am thankful for. It was nice to see him again, even if he was still distracted by his research."

Leaving the Restlands, the group walks south for several minutes before entering Ravengro proper. Despite the sun hovering over your heads, the village is rather dark. It has a faintly oppressive air to it although none of you can identify why. It just feels off. A few people can be seen walking through the streets, and they seem kind enough, stopping as you pass to say a kind word to Kendra before letting you continue on your way. One or two of those people also shoot dirty looks in the direction of Irina and Khenner as they leave, but nobody says anything.

She leads you down the road, and off in the distance you can see a great stone cathedral, no doubt Pharsma's house of worship here in Ravengro. She leads across a covered bridge that spans a large river. The river cuts the town in half. On the western shore, where you just came from, the buildings are sparser and interspersed with fields. The Cathedral is easily the largest building on the western bank. Further down the road you pass by what looks like a school house but it is called "The Unfurling Scroll" according to the sign, not the kind of name one would expect for a school.

Passing through the village square you can see the greatest assortment of architecture. The rest of the village is mostly wooden houses, but here you have buildings of every size and construction. A large log building marked as the town hall dominates the eastern edge of the square. A large stone building with multiple chimneys has a sign over the entrance that says in bold letters "Jorfa's Forge". Other buildings of varying shapes and sizes are labeled, "General Store", "Jominda's Apothecary", "Jail House", "The Outward Inn", "The Silk Purse", and "The Laughing Demon Pub". In the center of the square is a gazebo and several lines of benches.

A short distance south of the village the buildings begin to thin out once again. It is in this section of town that Kendra points out her house.

The "House" looks like a small mansion. The building has two floors, and probably an attic if the shape of the roof is anything to go by, making it the largest building in the town apart from the cathedral, even barely beating out the town hall. The walls are a light tan color, the door a dark green. Each window on the upper floor is actually a small door that opens onto a balcony. The house looks like an aristocrat could live a reasonably comfortable life within it's walls.

Inside, the entrance hall has a large staircase leading up to the second floor and many doors leading to various other parts of the house. The second floor is really just a balcony running around the wall 20 feet off of the ground with doors leading to the various rooms of the second floor.

She indicates one of the doors on the lower floor and opens it, ushering you all in. The room is a drawing room. Three couches sit in various places around the room, as do a number of chairs, small tables and one large coffee in the center of the room. There is also a desk next to the window on the eastern wall that is equipped with a variety of writing materials.

"Please, make yourselves comfortable. I'll get started on preparing something."

Kendra then proceeds to leave the room unless one of you should decide stop her.

Another OOC thing. Those of you who wish to learn more about Virilych and/or the geographical set up of Ustalav may roll a Knowledge(Geography) check.

u-b
2013-09-06, 11:14 AM
Outside, Ebert leaves the horse at the stables or in some other appropriate place and commands it to stay. Inside, he looks around the room and sits down on a couch.

Know (geography, max 10):[roll0]

AngryCyc
2013-09-06, 11:54 AM
Miro

Miro observes the town as they pass through it. As they all sit at rest for a second, he ponders more about the town.

Knowledge(Geo) [roll0]

He then relays the information he knows to the party around him, in the form of "Gee, did you guys know that:..."

Roguenewb
2013-09-06, 01:57 PM
Ralus

I only listen to the halfling with half an ear. Most of what she refers to is simple enough, when one comes from poor, blighted Ustalav. I only hope she moves on to more interesting topics soon. Sigh, give her a break Ral, she's just trying to helpful. Everyone wants whats best, she's not out to bore. I think dourly, I find it too easy lately to lapse into negative thoughts about things and people unrelated to my focus on medicine and alchemy. Not a good trait for a chiurgeon.

Once we reach the house, I take the time to ensure that my boots are clean of the dried muck and dirt that so often covers them. Once inside, I remove my hat, long coat, and reinforced gloves, placing them in my pack, and placing my pack next to the door. No need to dirty up Kendra's nice place. I then sit uneasily on one of the chairs as she goes to cook. Maybe this won't be so bad, but these people are all so different. Strange that the professor would leave so many different people in his will. I hope he didn't leave me too much, it would be a loss for me to accept it and take it out of the town.

Bhaakon
2013-09-06, 05:40 PM
Irina ignores the looks of the townsfolk and continues on like nothing has happened. She chokes back a whistle as the Lorrimor home comes into view. I knew he wasn't poor, but why would he ever leave this place to wander Ustalav? I wonder what he left us...

Once inside, she watches Kendra go to prepare some food--cooking was never Irina's strong point-- and plops down in a coach. "The next time a magical knickknack shuttles me across the country, I'll bring more spare clothes." She mumbles, doing her best to polish her mud-caked boots with a handkerchief.

The Dragon
2013-09-06, 06:23 PM
Grigori had been preparing to say a few words, when Ralus stepped forward. Grigori hadn't liked the professor, there'd been too much resentment on Grigori's side for that. But he had repsepcted the man, and would have said something at is funeral, had it not been for Ralus. His speech, although somewhat awward, brought Grigori back to things he'd rather not think of. During the rest of the speeches, and the subsequent walk through town, he didn't say a word, gazing off in the distance, seeing things that weren't there.
As they neared the house, he refocused. Whatever he might think of the professor, he wouldn't put Grigori's name in his will without good reason. As the group entered the mansion, Grigori nearly groaned out loud. There were emories everywherer today, it seemed. But no matter. The dead were dead and that was that. He listens intently as Miro provides a welcome distraction in the shape of his description of the sorroundings.
Grigori places his shield next to the door, and hangs his weapon belt on it, with his sword and the weighted training sword he had just recetly been using attached.
He eschews a chair completely, preffering to stand up straight.

Razahiel
2013-09-06, 10:58 PM
Khenner can't help but be amazed by the size of the house. Even though he had worked with some wealthy clients, he had seen very few homes that could stand to this one. Just one of the side effects of living in inns and out in the wilderness, he guessed.

Khenner tried to recall everything he could about about Virlych and the area surrounding it.

Out of curiosity, Khenner examines the desk and whats on it.

Geography:[roll0]
Perception:(if needed for examining the desk)[roll1]
Don't know why they aren't showing, I'll post them in the OOC >.>

Also, should we be rolling in the IC or OOC thread? Sorry, I've read over the posts and haven't seen, if its been said I apologize.

Number23
2013-09-07, 07:22 AM
Razahiel:
The desk looks to be made of teak, or some similar exotic wood. Arrayed on top of it of three sets of quill and ink, each ink pot holding a different color of ink. Multiple blank sheets of parchment and paper are stacked upon the desk.

Miro does his best to distract you all while waiting for Kendra's return, but wraps up his explanation a few minutes before Kendra returns. Those few minutes are filled with various pieces of busywork or through sating of curiosity.

When Kendra returns she bears a large silver platter. Arranged on top of it are a variety of fruits, grapes, apples, bananas, kiwis, and pomegranates. As well as a thinly cut loaf of bread and various cheeses and spreads. It is a simple affair, but some of the fruit and cheese would be rather hard to obtain around here.

"Sorry it's rather simple. I've never been much of a cook and I knew that it would take a while to prepare anything much more substantial. The fruit should do a fair job of re-energizing you though." She sets the tray down and removes 7 small porcelain plates, handing them out to everybody and keeping one for herself. She takes a bushel of grapes, two slices of bread and several slices of cheese before taking a seat on one of the uninhabited couches to begin nibbling at her meal.

AngryCyc
2013-09-07, 07:49 AM
Miro

"Fruit? I don't know if that can quench my appetites... Do you happen to have any fresh human blood, or perhaps some delinquent servants around?

.....HAHAH I'm kidding, I'm kidding of course! This looks marvelous," and with that Miro begins munching on some fruit.

Bhaakon
2013-09-07, 08:03 AM
Irina takes up some of the exotic fruits and gets to work dissecting them to find the edible parts. A banana?! I've never seen one outside of a book. I wonder what it tastes like

Erm, well, maybe I'll stick with the cheese and bread.

Thankfully, the halfling's tasteless jest draws attention away from the face she makes as she samples the exotic fruit. She glares at Miro for a beat, but refrains from sinking to his level (if such a thing were even possible).

*rimshot* haha, short joke.

u-b
2013-09-07, 10:56 AM
Ebert took some bread, spread and whatever cheese looked most promizing, combined it together and put into his mouth. Then took an apple, sat back on the couch and started eating the apple, cutting pieces of it with his dagger, apparently more concerned with taking his time than with having the apple consumed. He once again started to wonder what the professor wanted of them and how much he had allocated to have it accomplished. The old man was no fool, so surely he have had allocated enough, though a question of exact amount of "enough" remained, as had the question of the nature of the job. Soon we will know...

Razahiel
2013-09-07, 01:26 PM
Khenner takes two apples and moves off to the side, and takes a big bite into one.

So long since I last had one of these, he thought to himself. He just stares at Miro, unsure what to make of him.

Roguenewb
2013-09-07, 11:24 PM
Ralus

I pick up an apple, running my hands over it, feeling the skin for marks that might indicate anything nasty the host may have missed. Confident that the Lady Kendra did a good job checking it, I bite into it. Well, I can take apple from the nice professor. Mmmm, a good fruit.

The Dragon
2013-09-08, 04:17 AM
It had been a while since he had broken his fast, so Grigori was rather starved.
He sat down, sliced up a piece of fruit, and picked out a piece of cheese and bread each.
Ahh, so the halfling fancies himself a jester. That'd explain why he nows so much. Those travelling bards tend to learn a lot of stories. While he observed the rest of the group, he ate, surprisigly daintily. His table manners were rather a lot better than one would presume from looking at him.

Number23
2013-09-08, 09:14 AM
"Well, even if it wasn't a joke I'm afraid that my only servant is not composed of flesh and blood." And at a single prompt from her, Miro feels a force hit him upside the head. "I'm sure my unseen servant would not like being eaten, even if he could."

Apart from Miro's joke and Kendra's response, the meal passes rather uneventfully. It looks like Kendra wants to start up a conversation on several occasions but isn't sure what to say.

After about forty minutes of awkward silence, occasionally interrupted by someone moving around or grabbing some additional food, there is a knock at the door. Kendra stands and exits the drawing room, returning a few moments later with Sir Hearthmount. Hearthmount bears a simple wooden box with two envelopes on top.

He sets the box down on the coffee table next to the tray of food. "Alright. Lets get this settled finally. Two weeks is a long time to be holding the contents of a will and this box has just been taking up space. Glad to get rid of it." Hearthmount takes one of the envelopes and opens it, pulling out a note. He asks for each of your names in turn and makes a check a check on the paper as it is given to him. "Everyone is present, good."

He takes the second envelope and shows that the professor's seal, an open book with a bookmark still in the page, is present and still intact upon the envelope. Breaking it, he opens the will and allows the contents to slide out onto the table. A folded piece of sheet paper and an iron key slide out. Hearthmount takes the paper, opens it, and begins to read. Opening the wooden box at the same time.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this
parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with
the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and
personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use them or
sell them as you see fit, my child.

"To my 'Nephew' Irina, I leave the small silver butterfly pin. Hearthmount takes a small pin in the shape of a butterfly and hands it to Irina. I do not know if the Calling ever came to you as I have not had contact with you in some time, however, that does not mean I have forgotten it. The butterfly, being the symbol of Desna, is a symbol of freedom. You should not be bound by your ancestors, nor should you be bound by the constraints of society. I prepared you for the time when the Calling came so that you would be able to resist the call, if you should choose to. This pin will ensure that, should the call come, your mind will remain clear and you shall have complete control over your decision. Keep it close.

"To Doc Ralus I leave my personal set of surgeons tools. These are one of my guilty pleasures. . I found them at an auction house in Lepidstadt and I couldn't help but want them. They are the tools once used by renowned doctor Balon Adrissant and they have aged incredibly. I know you will put them to good use." Hearthmount reaches into the box and removes a beautiful wooden case with two clasps and hands it to Ralus.

"To my favorite mystery Miro, I gift a first edition copy of A Compendium on the History of Ustalav. You have always had an affinity for knowledge, and I know better than most how easily the oddest information can find itself in your head. However, there are some things that even the most knowledgeable, or the most psychic, of people do not know. Hopefully this book can help you to fill in some of those blanks." Hearthmount takes a large, leather bound book from the box and sets it down on the coffee table for Miro to claim.

"For my bodyguard and guide Khenner I leave the other pin. This particular item is something of my own invention. I remember what happened to your village and what happened to your family. Should the day come when you meet the one responsible, I believe this will give you the edge you need." Hearthmount pulls another small silver pin from the box, this one shaped like a skull with an arrow through it.

"For my recruit to the cause Grigor, I leave a Holy Symbol of Iomedae, although this one is rather unique. This symbol was forged by the smiths of the Dwarvern Kings themselves. It is composed of an interesting alloy that, until I saw it created, I thought could not possibly exist. I do not remember what the dwarves call the alloy but it is an amalgamation of gold, silver, iron, and adamantine. It is a curious alloy that is dense as adamantine yet as pliable as gold. Take care of it for few holy symbols have ever been crafted like this, and most of them would be symbols of Torag. Hearthmount removes the holy symbol from the box. It is silver in color but flecked with bits of grey, green, ad gold. It also shines more brilliantly in light than an precious metal.

"Finally to Ebert I gift the pouch of foul smelling pellets. Don’t let the smell off put you. These pellets I learned how to make while on expedition in the Mwangi Expanse during my youth. The Anthropomorphic Gorillas used these on bound outsiders to make them more powerful, and more compliant. I figure that since your eidolin is already completely subservient to you there will be no moral quandary about their use. They do take time to take affect, but the effect is quite something to behold. Feed them to your eidolin when you get the chance, you will not regret it. (I could not remember what these were called if it were to save my life. Call them what you will.) Hearthmount reaches into the box and removes moleskin pouch and hands it to Ebert.

“Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this
document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading
of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in
attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I
have two final favors to ask.

“To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are
few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of
what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many
of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and
inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge
of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

“And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire
a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one
of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward
legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under
lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have
borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable
for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my
daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the
danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting
my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. You will find the chest
under my bed, Kendra will show you. I ask that you please deliver
the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who
will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

“Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of
another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend
that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is
safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone,
and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she
desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal
gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum
of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these
funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in
Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon
the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month
after the date of the reading of this will.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this
first day of Calistril, in the year 4711.”

With the will read, Hearthmount stands and sets the will down on the table. "My business is done here and I must return to the town hall to attend my various duties. I will see myself out." Hearthmount leaves the drawing room and you can all hear the opening and closing of main door.

AngryCyc
2013-09-08, 09:43 AM
Miro

"Huh. ....I... well. Huh.

I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of eachother for a while then! So one month here making sure all is right with the Lady, then we deliver these old tomes eh? Actually... mind showing me to the Professor's room? I'd rather enjoy seeing what tomes would have raised such a fuss."

He has also grabbed his bequeathed book and holds it close to him under the folds of his cloths.

Razahiel
2013-09-08, 10:51 AM
Khenner takes the pin and examines it closely, most notably the detail work that probably went into it. One magic pin, two magic pin, three magic pin, I can't imagine what this one does. He does his best to secure it within his belongings, and looks to Kendra.

"Well, no way I'd turn down the Professor's last request. M'lady, count yourself under my protection."

When Sir Hearthmount leaves and we hear the doors opening and closing, Khenner goes to check and make sure that he's really gone.

u-b
2013-09-08, 10:58 AM
Ebert pocketed moleskin pouch with all its contents. So, a hundred platinum each for a month and a half? Here old man got us. Ebert hardly made fifth of that in several years working for the same man, though it's not that unusual for dead men to become much more liberal with the coin. Anyway, there would be one month of rather unusual sort of business - Eber had no practice of running a household, or setting one in order, but he did not expect any problems unless the girl puts her mind on setting things in order outside the household - she seemed to have a rather hot temper, as well as some would-be order-setting people, it seems.

"I expect us to be quartered here, to be ever at hand. Should I arrange hiring a cook and... a valet, a maid? You know, you should have some nice local people working in your house and not live here alone... good for public relations. Any other specific things you want to be done?" - addressing Kendra this way, Ebert turned to his prospective co-workers - "As I understand, we all own some money, even if they are locked for now. For me, the sum is considerable, so I'd rather write a will of my own. If anybody else feels like doing the same, we might arrange it with Hearthmount together. Are there other proposals?"

Bhaakon
2013-09-08, 03:54 PM
Irina accepts the butterfly pin and, after a brief examination, secures it just below her collar. Not wanting to interrupt the proceedings, she refrains from casting detect magic (and she's never been particularly skilled at reading magical auras anyway).

"I'll earn my inheritance before spending it, even if only in a will." Irina answers to Ebert's suggestion. And I don't plan on dying any time soon, she adds silently.

She turns her attention to Kendra, examining the woman closely. She was still young, but no child. Perhaps even older than Irina herself. Certainly old enough to handle the simple management of a household without the help of a pack of strangers. Besides, looking at said strangers, Irina doubts any of them have ever managed more than a farmstead or a rented room. Why did Uncle Lorrimor really want them to stay here?

"Um, I'd also like to see these books."

Number23
2013-09-08, 05:32 PM
"Well, I'm sorry that you're all stuck her for the following month. The house has plenty of extra rooms and I can give you each your own." In response to the questioning about the the books she says. "I can go find the trunk if you give me a few minutes. And Ebert, I don't need any help with tending the books and the estate. I know my way around them. I don't believe that's why my father asked you to stay."

She leaves the room for a few minutes and returns with a small, reinforced trunk with a thick padlock on the front. "I'm guessing this is what he was referring to. I didn't find anything else under his bed."

AngryCyc
2013-09-08, 05:58 PM
Miro

"I'm guessing this is what that key was for... Mind if I..?"

He grabs the key that came with the will and tries to open the lock with it.

Number23
2013-09-08, 08:33 PM
The key fits snugly into the padlock. A quick turn pops the lock and it is easily removed after that. Opening the chest reveals 5 tomes, four of them relatively old and one on the top looking to be only a few years old compared to the decades old appearance of the others. This newest book has the words "Read me Now!" etched into the leather cover.

The other four books are of varying sizes and shapes. One of them is small with a rich purple cover that contains a brass scarab with an eye in its center. The spine reads, "Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye."

The third tome is quite large and has a jet black cover. Along the spine in red are the words, "On Verified Madness".

The fourth book is also small and made of what looks like human skin. Scrawled on the front cover are the words, "Serving your Hunger".

The fifth and final tome is average sized and the cover is decorated with a variety of hooks and barbs. It is labeled, "The Umbral Leaves".

AngryCyc
2013-09-08, 08:44 PM
Miro

We very much read the READ ME NOW one, and push the other one's aside. If anyone tries to reach for a different book, Miro stops them with "Don't touch those yet... they may be cursed, or worse..."

Number23
2013-09-08, 09:03 PM
Miro:
Miro cracks open the tome and begins to skim through the pages quickly. It seems to be some sort of journal with entries dating back 9 months. Most of them seem to detail the professors day to day activities and studies. As Miro continues to skim though he begins to come across several entries that have been circled in red ink. The oldest of these entries dates back 6 months. The last entry in the journal is also circled and dated for 17 days ago. The circled entries are recreated below.

6 Months Ago:
The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at ease as I thought it might. Their desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

2 Months Ago:
It is as I had feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravengro. But what could it be?

1 Month Ago:
Whatever the Way seeks, I am now convinced their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect, I suppose it all makes sense—the stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town already being so worked up about them, I’d rather not let the others know about my curiosity—there’s plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I’m a demonologist or a witch or something. Ignorant fools.

20 Days Ago:
It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something—no, strike that—someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire. Everyone. The Temple of Pharasma must have such a list.

18 Days Ago:
I see now just how ill prepared I was when I last set out for the Harrowstone. I am lucky to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation—hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to defend against spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the church of Pharasma used to store them in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items.

17 Days ago:
Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish. My caution has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I don’t have time to update my will, so I’ll leave this in the chest where it’ll be sure to be found, should the worst come to pass.

Bhaakon
2013-09-08, 09:16 PM
Irina sputters at the grabby halfling. "Who taught you your manners, a goblin? Either read it aloud, or put it down somewhere were we can all see."

AngryCyc
2013-09-08, 09:20 PM
Miro

As Miro finishes the important parts, he draws everyone's attention and explains the relevant details, starting with a great sigh, and "Guys, I think you're all going to want to take a look at this... it looks like we were needed here for a lot more than just keeping house..."

As he passes the journal to the rest of the party to read, he starts investigating the other books present. "Manual of the Order..." seems interesting...

Number23
2013-09-08, 09:26 PM
Miro:
Investigating the Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye proves fruitless. The book does not open when you try to open it. A close inspection of the book however does reveal a locking mechanism built into the brass scarab and and small keyhole in the eye on the back of the scarab.

AngryCyc
2013-09-08, 09:28 PM
Miro

"Annndddd nothing on this one... seems locked. NEXT!"

He grabs the next book and gives it a try.

All the books. I read all the books. I WANT EVERYTHING IN EVERY BOOK.

Number23
2013-09-08, 09:38 PM
Miro:

The small book made of human skin appears to be an unholy text of Urgathoa. The book with the hooks looks to be an unholy text of Zon Kuthon. And the last book, "On Verified Madness" appears to be a book detailing the Dark Tapestry and various types of aberrations on Golarion. The last one can be read over the course of 32 hours, taking a minimum of 4 days. Doing so provides a +1 bonus to Knowledge Dungeoneering checks made to identify aberrations.

AngryCyc
2013-09-08, 09:54 PM
Miro

"Huh. Well this is all.. very... Huh. Right. Well looks like we have a lot of work ahead of us! I think we might need to stop by that hidden stockload of Pharasma's, and then maybe swing by the prison to make sure everything isn't going to hell in a handbasket... I suggest we rest here for the night and leave bright and early in the morning, when the sun will be bright for us. Perhaps the Professor's death wasn't so accidental after all!"

Miro's curiosity sated, he let's the others pilfer through everything and finally sits down to read the history book that the Professor left to him while everyone else talks about this newfound discovery.

Bhaakon
2013-09-08, 10:22 PM
Irina finishes reading the highlighted portions of the journal and passes the book on.

"Wait, what? You want to raid a stash of the church's goods on hallowed ground? And in broad daylight? Even if you were to somehow convince me of such a course, we'd have to go at night."

She shakes her head. "I'd argue for marching down to see Father Grimburrow right now, but I don't want to have to tell him that the late Professor already took liberties with church property."

She thinks for a moment, holding an argument with herself. "Well, maybe we should go there and see what he took, at least. Maybe there are some clues as to what he was doing on the day he died there. But not to take things."

u-b
2013-09-09, 12:43 AM
Ebert stood beside the table and read marked entries. Then he read them again, along with some non-marked ones.

"Nice. Very nice. If we are to follow the professor, I'd rather make it a public affair, with cleric, sheriff, councilmen, and even that activist guy we met all properly informed. Though I would listen if someone is to advocate keeping our mouths shut. "

After his first emotional reaction has passed, Ebert came to a conclusion that he did not know a lot of very simple things about the situation, and yet another lot of not-so-simple things. Namely...

"What do we know about your father's death, the prison thing, this local cleric personally and that night of fire?"

He was looking at Kendra, but also at small guy who seemed like he was fond of explaining stuff.

Razahiel
2013-09-09, 01:26 PM
Khenner stands around, watching as the others look over the tomes, and when the journal comes to him he reads the passages to himself.

I don't know about getting the authorities involved, the more people who know might let on we are looking into this, he thought to himself.

After battling with himself, he spoke, "Are we certain it's a good idea to make our intent known publicly? If this 'Way' has people in town, it could cause a lot more problems than it solves."

u-b
2013-09-09, 08:54 PM
Ebert nods. "What you say is correct, except for the "if" part, as I am sure it would be safe to assume that their men are here. Maybe we have already seen some of them. I'd say we can trust everyone of us, probably that activist guy (at least he is not one of the Way even if they might have been giving him hints about what to do), but not much beyond that. Making this all affair public is good in that it cannot be failed and we can try to reach for wide outside help. The method we arrived here leaves no doubt about who we are sided with in this conflict, so we cannot really stay undercover, at most we could attempt to hide what we know and what we do, but not the fact we are a side. That's one point of view."

Ebert paused allowing others to express alternatives of that or whatever else they might have to say on the subject.

Number23
2013-09-10, 03:09 PM
"Father Grimburrow is a wonderful person. I agree that this shouldn't become public knowledge, but if we are going to trust anybody, it should be him. As for my father, he died when a large chunk of masonry hit on the head and crushed his skull..." Those last few words come out with some difficulty. "He was investigating the prison at the time."

AngryCyc
2013-09-10, 04:34 PM
Miro

"Mmkay then it sounds like we can talk to the Father in the morning about this whole curfuffle, grab some spook-fighting gear (with his permission!) and head over to investigate this prison then, eh?"

If there is no further disagreement about the matter, Miro will spend the rest of the evening studying his History book before sleeping for the evening.

Bhaakon
2013-09-10, 05:59 PM
"There's still plenty of daylight left, why not go talk with him now?" Argues Irina.

Roguenewb
2013-09-10, 10:32 PM
Ralus

I stand by at the reading, turning the beautiful wooden box over and over in my hands. The others all seem distracted, its just so strange that the professor remembered me enough to buy such an awesome gift. My mood turns sour at the realization of this strange group, the Way, and the thought that the professor had discovered something so terrible.

"We need to act, quickly. If this Way is so bad, it can't be allowed to get into action." I feel quite an urge to get back on the road, even to help a dead man.

u-b
2013-09-11, 10:25 AM
"I'd say if this father Grimburrow is so good, we can just as well get his permission after we get all the stuff, if it is still there. I would agree about getting things done quickly as long as "quickly" means "after at least a hour of discussing and planning the stuff". Right now I feel too blind to make sensible decisions and making other kind of decision tends to be bad for one's health. So... any background on history and present status of this prison? Harrowstone it's name? On that night of fire? Mmm... maybe some book touching the subject is here in the house? Also, regarding outside help. Can you contact or at least name some other friends of your father? It might be useful to inform them in case we lag or fail."

Ebert looks at Kendra waiting for what she has to say.

Number23
2013-09-11, 01:26 PM
The 5 for Knowledge Local doesn't get you anything.

"I'm sorry to say that I don't know much about the prison. Just that it burned down in 4661, just over 50 years ago. Most of the locals think that it's haunted and if what my father's journal said is anything to go by, I wouldn't doubt that it is haunted. Or at least, there's something in there that repelled his initial advances.

"If you're looking to do research, my father did have a fairly decent sized library here in the house. You are welcome to use it. The records kept at the Town Hall and the Temple might also have some useful information. Apart from that, Alendru Ghoroven, proprietor of the Unfurling Scroll also has a moderately sized library. You might try talking to him.

"As for friends, my father did not have many friends in town. Alendru would be the closest and they only spoke about business and magic. He had several friends up in Lepidstadt but getting word to them would take quite some time. I'm afraid my father made a few special items to ensure he could get in touch with the six of you, but I had to use all of them to send you the letter. It will take days to get a message to anyone and weeks for them to arrive. But I can send a few letters out."

Roguenewb
2013-09-11, 02:56 PM
Ralus

I know Lepidstadt well, but I hadn't planned on returning anytime soon. Lepidstadt is a wonderful town, driven and thriving, but I hadn't planned on returning until I'd gotten something done, until I'd accomplished something.

"Dallying never helps anything. Let's set off as soon as we can. My pack is still packed. We can talk to the father, Irina is absolutely correct." I stand up, brush myself off, and start gathering stuff and checking my pockets, and preparing to go see Father Grimburrow.

Bhaakon
2013-09-12, 09:03 AM
Irina nods in agreement with Ralus. "Yes, we should go and see the Father right now. No reason not to, unless you plan on robbing the church yourself." She gives her best hard stare to communicate her opinion of that.

"But perhaps we shouldn't mention that the Professor has already helped himself to the stores...unless we have to."

If no one objects, she heads for the door.

u-b
2013-09-12, 12:06 PM
As Irina gives her best stare, Ebert just raises one eyebrow and no objections. Then closes the journal and he turns to Grigor*.

@The Dragon: just what is his name, Grigor or Grigori?

AngryCyc
2013-09-14, 09:02 AM
Miro

".... I mean... just so we're clear here? I don't think you can really steal something if it doesn't belong to anyone. And I especially don't think it's stealing to use tools that were set aside to be used. The Professor knew this and wouldn't have just taken things that didn't belong to him if they would've been missed by someone else.

The Professor was a good man. If he took those objects, it was because it was the right thing to do. I trust to that much at least. I mean think about this... if we go to the prison and find out other people had been there investigating before us, and now they're dead and rotting in the prison, but they have some gear on them that'll help us survive... should we just leave it there because it doesn't belong to us?"

Bhaakon
2013-09-14, 06:38 PM
"The professor was a good man, but he could be single minded, bull-headed, and less than considerate of others when he had an idea in his head. We saw what that got him at his funeral, much fear, distrust, and hatred from his neighbors. Perhaps if he'd had their cooperation, there would have been someone there to shout a warning when that stone fell." She adds, as a muttered aside, "however it happened to fall."

"Let us not make the same mistake. If we're to stay here for a month, it would be smart to build some trust and goodwill."

Number23
2013-09-15, 08:12 AM
"Yeah... probably a poor idea to mention he's already stolen from them. Regardless, lets get going." Grigor stands up and follows Irina to door and picking up his shield and weapons on the way out.

On your way out Ebert leaves instructions with Kendra to hide the other books, and she agrees to do so.

The Temple of Pharasma is difficult to miss, being the largest structure in the town and you make your way there without incident. You pass two strangers on the way there and one of them, a young woman, doesn't even bother trying to hide the dirty looks she gives Irina.

The main doors to the temple are wide open and you are able to make your way in easily. The room extends about 120 feet from the doors to the opposite end of the room and the walls extend about 30 feet on either side of the main entrance. The vaulted ceiling rises to about 50 feet at its highest and the stone walls are covered with a variety of religious decorations and symbols. Running along the wall twenty feet above the ground is a balcony. Several doors lead off from the main room. Pews line the room.

Two people, both dressed in acolytes robes are in the room. One is sitting in second line of pews, head down. The other is busy cleaning the alter and surrounding area.

AngryCyc
2013-09-15, 08:27 AM
Miro

Approaching the acolyte who is cleaning, Miro tells the man they are here to speak to Father Grimburrow and asks if the acolyte knows where he can be found.

u-b
2013-09-15, 12:12 PM
Ebert leaves his horse outside, commanding it to stay and follows inside. He is somewhat surprised Kendra did not go to participate in the talks with this wonderful cleric, but whoever is do to the talking, as long as it is not Ebert, that's fine.

Number23
2013-09-15, 02:19 PM
The acolyte that Miro speaks to offers to go and fetch Father Grimburrow and excuses himself. Father Grimburrow enters from one of the side doors, the acolyte in tow. The acolyte returns to his cleaning duties while Father Grimburrow approaches the group.

"Welcome guests of the Lorrimor household. I admit that I did not expect any of you to stay past the funeral. Ravengro is not a popular tourist stop. But, since you are here, how might I be of assistance?"

Roguenewb
2013-09-16, 07:18 AM
Ralus

"Good afternoon, Father. We've all stayed for a couple of reasons, most directly because of a personal request for the late professor to all of us. Secondarily, however, we seem to have chanced on a bit of a mystery, that would likely benefit from some clearing up." I say, in the friendliest tone I can muster, but without sounding trite. "Professor Lorrimor believed he had discovered a...plot. A disturbing one, involving someone who died in the fire at Harrowstone Prison, or something of that ilk. We don't know as much as we'd like. It appears that he was attempting to recover some special goods stored by the clergy of Pharasma when the rock that unfortunately took his life struck him. Items that would help against what he believed were ghosts. Does any of this mean anything to you? Is Harrowstone haunted? Are there cools for protecting one's self from ghosts in the clergy's possession?" I say, keeping an eye out for any obvious emotional responses to what I'm asking.

Once I've finished my short explanation, I look back and forth to the others to see if they have anything to share.

Sense motive [roll0]