PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular Spiderlike-Humanoid

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-02, 05:52 PM
Hey Guys! Just finished rewatching the Sam Raimi movies and the Spectacular TV show and I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be awesome to have a Spider-Man in a D&D campaign?"

My DM has told us that the next part of our campaign is going to be 9th level and that, if we are making a character, we get 27,000 gp. He also said that any level adjustment are aloud to come after the class levels. So, I am trying to make a spider-man build, but it's proving more difficult than I first thought. I don't mean Noir, 2099, symbiote, The Other, ninja, etc. I was hoping to make original Spider-Man, although I wouldn't mind using web biologically.

So far, my build is Monk 5/Thief-Acrobat 4
Ability Scores(using 40 point buy) are 14, 18, 14, 16 10, 8 in order
Shaky, vulnerable, and frail as flaws(to fit the character)
Feats being Carmendine Monk, Superior Unarmed Strike, Martial Study and Stance(for something Shadow Hand and Dance of the Spider), Monastic Training, and Combat Expertise
Monk bonus feats being improved grapple and combat reflexes
Items include Boots of Agile Leaping, Monk’s Belt, Spool of Endless Rope with a Grasping Hook attached, Wand Bracer with a wand of Web, Monk Clothing, Backpack, Bedroll, 10-foot pole, 3 50-ft silk ropes, 2 20-foot elven ropes, 3 Grappling hooks(before food, water, etc.)

My future plans are to finish Thief-Acrobat, take monastic training again, take the 5 levels of Streetfighter, finish to 20 with monk.

Any ideas on how to improve this? What races would you think fit?

Greenish
2013-09-02, 06:19 PM
Complete Adventurer has Rod of Ropes, which is essentially a grappling-hook shooter. A pair of those affixed to bracers should let you get by with many of your web-shooting needs. Also comes with offensive option.

Magic of Eberron has the Grappling Vines graft, which allows you to grapple creatures from 10', and grants Constrict.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-02, 07:36 PM
Complete Adventurer has Rod of Ropes, which is essentially a grappling-hook shooter. A pair of those affixed to bracers should let you get by with many of your web-shooting needs. Also comes with offensive option.

Magic of Eberron has the Grappling Vines graft, which allows you to grapple creatures from 10', and grants Constrict.

The first sounds pretty amazing. I can think of a lot of uses for that and may drop a lot of items for that.
The graft is only 10' and I think that may be a problem for swinging around. It sounds cool, but the range kills it

SoraWolf7
2013-09-02, 07:46 PM
There is a class for this sort of thing called Arachnomancer, but sadly they are evil only. You'll probably need a ring that lets you use Spider Climb or something like that.

Hytheter
2013-09-02, 07:59 PM
Don't you need to be like level 10 to get Dance of the spider?
It's a Level 3 stance, which requires an Initiator Level of 5, which requires 10 levels in non-martial adept classes.
Right?

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-02, 08:09 PM
Don't you need to be like level 10 to get Dance of the spider?
It's a Level 3 stance, which requires an Initiator Level of 5, which requires 10 levels in non-martial adept classes.
Right?

Dang! I was unsure of that. I knew that it counted as half, but wasn't sure what level I could take stances and maneuvers at. Which means that I need to get something with spider climb now. Race, template, item. I'm open to suggestions

Zonugal
2013-09-02, 08:14 PM
A level or two of Unarmed Swordsage would probably help you out.

Also, the Lolth-Touched template on a Human could help out (as long as your DM allows you to not have to be chaotic evil).

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-02, 08:19 PM
A level or two of Unarmed Swordsage would probably help you out.

Also, the Lolth-Touched template on a Human could help out (as long as your DM allows you to not have to be chaotic evil).

The first would be alright. Not sure how that would affected my levels. My DM did say that multi-classing penalties don't count, though.

He says that I don't need to act C.E., I will just register whenever there is a detect spell. Which means everyone is my J. Jonah Jameson

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-02, 08:23 PM
Lolth-Touched doesn't actually give you spider climb or even a climb speed. Which is really weird considering the whole Spider-Goddess thing

Hytheter
2013-09-02, 09:10 PM
Dang! I was unsure of that. I knew that it counted as half, but wasn't sure what level I could take stances and maneuvers at. Which means that I need to get something with spider climb now. Race, template, item. I'm open to suggestions

For Future reference, maneuver levels are like cleric and wizard spell levels. So level 3 is 2nd level, 5 is 3rd, and so on every two levels. But With non-martial adepts the level requirement is doubled (because initiator level is halved). So you can't get level 2 maneuvers until level 6, level 3 at level 10. You can't get maneuvers above 6th level at all with non martial classes until epic levels.

There's a table for that somewhere, though it doesn't show the non-martial levels, because you can have varying levels in martial and nonmartial classes.

Greenish
2013-09-02, 09:16 PM
There's a table for that somewherePage 41 or 42.

If your DM would be okay with a variant of Lolth-touched (which is pretty boring, but has big numbers), ask if you could instead get a more spider-themed variant of Chameleon template (Underdark), which by default grants you climb speed.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-02, 10:49 PM
SO, after all of your notes for today, it looks like this build will now have the following:

Unarmed Swordsage 1/Monk 4/ Thief-Acrobat 4, with progression to 20 being finish TA, All Streetfighter, Monk 5
Race is Snow Elf
Ability Scores(using 40 point buy) are 14, 18, 14, 16 10, 8 in order
Shaky and frail as flaws(to fit the character, may add one more if needed)
Feats being Carmendine Monk, Superior Unarmed Strike, Martial Stance, Monastic Training (TA), and Combat Expertise
Monk bonus feats being improved grapple and combat reflexes
Maneuvers would be Clinging Shadow Strike, Counter Charge, Mighty Throw, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Sudden Leap, and Wind Stride
Stances would be Step of the Wind and Dance of the Spider
Items include Boots of Agile Leaping, Monk’s Belt, 2 Rods of Rope, Monk Clothing, Backpack, Bedroll, 10-foot pole, 3 50-ft silk ropes, 2 20-foot elven ropes, 3 Grappling hooks(before food, water, etc.)

Gotta say, after only four hours, I'm impressed at how far this went. Never would have thought of some of these until it was too late. Thanks. I don' need this until, next weekend, the 14th, so I am definitely open to more suggestions.

Also, I was told what our setting was for the next part of the campaign and this may need to wait until later before use. We are going to travel a desert and than through a pyramid. No walls followed by very enclosed areas don't exactly sound best for Spidey, although he will still have some uses

Greenish
2013-09-02, 10:55 PM
Cutting out more/all of Monk and Thief-Acrobat in favour of Swordsage would definitely improve combat capability. When it comes to movement stuff and PrCs, Ninja Spy from OA has quite a few neat tricks over Thief-Acrobat.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-03, 12:42 AM
FYI, you normally can't go back into Monk after multiclassing out. You may need to clear that with your DM.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-03, 05:25 PM
Monastic Training. Eberron Campaign Setting, page 57. Take it when going into TA and again before taking Streetfighter and it doesn't count against me.

Ninja Spy is something I will look into as well. I also got a suggestion for Master of Chains that I was told could be flavor-texted to be ropes or webs by my DM

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-03, 08:34 PM
I looked at ninja spy and, though it is a very good class, I don't think it fits the character I am going for. I mean, I would love to play as one some other time, probably would have gone well with a previous character I had, but the whole 'nonchoatic, nongood' was my first warning as to the fact that it doesn't fit the Spider-Man thing as well as about half of the abilities the class gains

Vaz
2013-09-03, 10:39 PM
Master of chains is disgustingly hard to get into without bonus feats. A Human Fighter can get in at ECL7.

However, in 3.5 it was updated to exotic weapon master

Imsectile Template grants additional arms and a climb speed. Iirc.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-04, 08:05 PM
One thing that I keep coming back to is the Lasher. It seems something interesting that would fit with the character.

Also, why is Thief-Acrobat such a bad class? I get it isn't the best, combat-wise, but it still is good. Especially when, if you read it right, I can do a Spider-Man-like web-grab and charge at the enemy in mid-air. I mean, just how I read it, so I may be wrong completely

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-04, 08:30 PM
Dip Warlock 1 for the Spider Climb invocation.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-04, 09:18 PM
Dip Warlock 1 for the Spider Climb invocation.

Looks great! Except for one thing that I would be iffy about: Spell-like ability. Any antimagic fields around, I'm shot. That was why I was looking to get 3rd level maneuvers so that I could get it as an extraordinary ability instead.

I planned for a rod of ropes or two as well, so that means that I would lose the two things that were the reason the build worked. I could still do the ropes if I had an extra silk substitute or a whip, but Spider-Climb would be gone.

Or maybe I'm reading something wrong. I could always be wrong about that. The duration says 24 hours, so would it still work in AM fields?

Zomg Zombies
2013-09-07, 04:48 AM
Actually, warlock has a few spider-like invocations: the aforementioned spiderwalk, leaps and bounds; dark foresight, voidsence, and/or all seeing eyes for spidey-sence. With an ok from the DM, you could make up an entangling essence invoke for web shooters (paired with chain blast shape) though I'd stick to the rod of ropes for web-swinging. Unless it's for thematic reasons I'd suggest drop the TA and go monk/lock

Oh, and squeezing in uncanny trickster (complete scoundrel) would be right up your alley, there's too many skill tricks to list separately

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-22, 03:32 AM
Hey guys. Sorry to disappear, but I had work and girl stuff come up and, long story short, I have a lot more free time now. So, back to this gloriousness, I think I got the basics for what I want to do. I am still looking for more help in the line templates, races, and stat choices, but this is what i have so far for level 9, but with 27000 gold:
Pete Parkour
Human
14 18 10 18 8 14
Swashbuckler 7/rogue 2
Blind-fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Finesse, Martial Study (cloak of deception), Martial Stance (dance of the spider), Daring Outlaw as feats
Frail, Shaky as flaws
Dishonest, plucky, skinny as traits
Balance 5, bluff 10, climb 5, disable device 5, escape artist 10, hide 5, jump 10, know. (local) 5, listen 10, move silently 5, open lock 5, search 10, sleight of hand 5, spot 5, tumble 5, use rope 10 as skills
Easy Escape, extreme leap, escape attack as skill tricks
3 silk ropes, 2 elven ropes, 3 grappling hooks, 2 grasping hooks, backpack, ink vial and pen, hooded lantern, 5 oil flasks, 5 sheets of paper, 5 rations, 2 torches, 5 waterskins, thieves tools, 2 rods of rope, boots of agile leaping, 9790.11 gp spent

That's just starting. I'm still looking at items and further build options, but i am thinking of going for streetfighter and possibly the first 2 levels of lasher for flavor and whip fun.

Actually, warlock has a few spider-like invocations: the aforementioned spiderwalk, leaps and bounds; dark foresight, voidsence, and/or all seeing eyes for spidey-sence. With an ok from the DM, you could make up an entangling essence invoke for web shooters (paired with chain blast shape) though I'd stick to the rod of ropes for web-swinging. Unless it's for thematic reasons I'd suggest drop the TA and go monk/lock

Oh, and squeezing in uncanny trickster (complete scoundrel) would be right up your alley, there's too many skill tricks to list separately

I am still iffy about warlock. Just...i don't know. Something about it kinda turns me away. Maybe the idea of spider-man being a caster when we have guys like mysterio or electro around.

Uncanny trickster looks interesting. What would be some tricks you would suggest taking both before and after taking the class?

Norin
2013-09-22, 04:33 AM
Just a quick idea:

A re-fluffed kelpstrand druid spell would fit well for such a character.

ShurikVch
2013-09-22, 05:27 AM
Strange thing: in this thread nobody mentioned PrC Yathchol Webrider (Underdark).
Yes, I know this PrC considered bad for some reason. But why? What's the problem with it?

Sith_Happens
2013-09-22, 05:43 AM
The first sounds pretty amazing. I can think of a lot of uses for that and may drop a lot of items for that.

Rod of Ropes is basically the best item ever. It's a Hookshot and Batman's Line Launcher put together, all for 4000 gp.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-22, 10:45 AM
Strange thing: in this thread nobody mentioned PrC Yathchol Webrider (Underdark).
Yes, I know this PrC considered bad for some reason. But why? What's the problem with it?

I actually saw this before posting and thought that it would be kinda fun...
IF I didn't need to take Chitine or a race that needed to have web. I saw chitine and wan't very impressed for something with the level adjustment 2 AND 2 racial hit die. just for spider climb, small size, a slight grapple bonus, and multiweapon fighting. Also, summoning spiders doesn't fit the character build, but I guess that wouldn't stop me from doing a lot of things anyway

ShurikVch
2013-09-22, 12:25 PM
I actually saw this before posting and thought that it would be kinda fun...
IF I didn't need to take Chitine or a race that needed to have web. I saw chitine and wan't very impressed for something with the level adjustment 2 AND 2 racial hit die. just for spider climb, small size, a slight grapple bonus, and multiweapon fighting. Also, summoning spiders doesn't fit the character build, but I guess that wouldn't stop me from doing a lot of things anyway

Read carefully:

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a Yathchol webrider, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race: Chitine, or any race that can spin webs from its body. Characters who know or can prepare web as either a spell or a spell-like ability also qualify.
Skills: Hide 8 ranks, Move Silently 4 ranks.
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Skill Focus (Craft [trapmaking]).
Chitine is recommended, but not necessary.
(Just like Telflammar Shadowlord asks for shadow-walker template, but actually allow you enter without it, assuming he "either possess the ability to shadow jump (as the shadowdancer prestige class ability) or be able to cast dimension door as a spell or spell-like ability.")
You can make a non-Chitine Yathchol Webrider, assuming your character can "spin webs from its body", prepare the Web spell or have it as SLA.
For example, ettercap, aranea, entomanothrope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a)(monstrous spider), tauric spider, spellstitched necropolitan or factotum of any race can become a Yathchol Webrider.

SciChronic
2013-09-22, 02:16 PM
Rod of Ropes is basically the best item ever. It's a Hookshot and Batman's Line Launcher put together, all for 4000 gp.

my issue with rod of ropes is that if someone cuts the rope, that end is gone forever, essentially costing 2000 gold for each end. This makes Troll Gut Rope look so much more appealing since every day it can make a large length of rope and only costs 500g.

IronFist
2013-09-22, 05:25 PM
Warlock fits for many other reasons.

Eldritch blast is your web ball attack. With Bracers of Entangling Blast, you have your own webshooters (get those in the same item as the Rod, if possible). With eldritch claws feat, you can now cover your fists in web like Spidey does for tough fights.

I would ditch Monk altogether for Swordsage. Focus on counters as they get you a Spider-Sense vibe. Tiger Claw has many jumping tricks that just scream Spider-Man. Pearl of Black Doubt is also a very Spider-Man-ish stance.

I'd take Goad as a feat. It just seems to fit.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-09-30, 09:43 PM
Warlock fits for many other reasons.

Eldritch blast is your web ball attack. With Bracers of Entangling Blast, you have your own webshooters (get those in the same item as the Rod, if possible). With eldritch claws feat, you can now cover your fists in web like Spidey does for tough fights.

I would ditch Monk altogether for Swordsage. Focus on counters as they get you a Spider-Sense vibe. Tiger Claw has many jumping tricks that just scream Spider-Man. Pearl of Black Doubt is also a very Spider-Man-ish stance.

I'd take Goad as a feat. It just seems to fit.

Wow. That's a lot to comment about.

Warlock would be cool, but that's more levels I am going into. Even with the bracers and claws feat, that's a big dump for this. Also, I probably wouldn't do the feat just because I already have a lot of feats and I don't remember the webs-around-fists-thing ever done, in the comics(I know it was in games), except to bandage his hands.

Monk has been ditched for a while, but I do understand the levels of unarmed swordsage for the maneuvers with counters and acrobatics. And P.o.B.D. sounds beautiful, except that I can only have one stance at the same time. I understand that having Warlock negates that little snag, but then I have to watch out for any anti-magic fields that will negate spells, sp. like abilities, and items

Goad I see nothing wrong with and will, probably, be added

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-10-01, 10:14 PM
I guess I am whining for not being able to do exactly what I want at all times and, for that, I apologize. Warlock who actually work really well. Also, Spidey would probably qualify as some type of caster.
Would Warlock and Unarmed Swordsage factored in as possibilities, are there any build suggestions for level 9 with 27000 gold?

Daefos
2013-10-02, 12:30 AM
Skin of the Spider
This midnight-blue skin is highlighted with a red spiderweb pattern and large black-rimmed white eyes.

This skin grants you a +10 competence bonus on Climb checks. The skin also automatically adjusts your body’s equilibrium to correspond with any solid or liquid upon which you stand. This allows you to move (but not run) across water, quicksand, or even a spider’s web at your normal speed. These are continuous effects and require no activation. Three times per day, you can fire a glob of goo at a Medium or smaller target within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. If successful, the target is entangled for 5 rounds (Strength DC 20 or Escape Artist DC 20 to escape).

This seems like a decent addition.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-10-02, 05:38 PM
Daefos, I have seen and love those skins. If I had more gp, I would do that in a heartbeat, but, with only 27000, 20000 is a big investment that I was hoping to get around with feats or levels and spells

Ramza00
2013-10-02, 11:46 PM
Just a quick idea:

A re-fluffed kelpstrand druid spell would fit well for such a character.
Refluffed Kelpstrand
Refluffed Reisnous Tar (stick webs)
Refluffed Spider Climb
Web

CyberThread
2013-10-03, 12:28 AM
yeah know... Old Lob was a great spiderlike build.... :P

Talionis
2013-10-03, 09:12 AM
Wand Bracers from Dungeonscape.
Casting Glove from Magic Items Compendium
Wand Chambers in general added to Gauntlets
Wand Sockets in other weapons

All of these types of items seem pretty decent as web shooters and you'd change out wands when they run out of charges. The good thing about items is that they aren't too class driven so you can use any of them to simply cast a Web spell or some spell you want to use.

Tangleroot Bags could also be used to mimic web shooters.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-10-03, 06:05 PM
Wand Bracers from Dungeonscape.
Casting Glove from Magic Items Compendium
Wand Chambers in general added to Gauntlets
Wand Sockets in other weapons

All of these types of items seem pretty decent as web shooters and you'd change out wands when they run out of charges. The good thing about items is that they aren't too class driven so you can use any of them to simply cast a Web spell or some spell you want to use.

Tangleroot Bags could also be used to mimic web shooters.

Wand bracers- thought about those. May still use them.
Casting glove- though fun and works for what I want, are I bit to expensive
Wand chambers- only work on shields
Wand sockets- unless I get a whip and can convince my DM to let me do that, I don't think it works. But it would be fun and worth a try

And yes, Tanglefoot Bags were always something I was thinking of

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-10-03, 08:12 PM
I'm not sure if I said this at all over my posting, but this is very much something I know will never be 100 percent like the actual 616 spider-man. I am just trying to see the fastest and most efficient way to make someone as similar to that as possible with a level 9 build and 27000 gp to spend and any templates or race combination that still allows me to be the right alignment. I know I have been really picky about somethings and I shouldn't be, but every little bit helps. And, once again, thanks to everyone who has contributed! This build would probably just be a very sacked out monk if it weren't for you and my DM!

Also, side note, it's stuff like these crazy, yet somehow doable, combinations that make me love this game more and more with each character, campaign, setting, and player I play with.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-10-04, 05:49 PM
Cool new development! My dungeon master and I have come to an agreement. In his world, we are where we can take one level off our adjustment and he also says that I can be a half-breed (biped) from Bas…… & Bloodlines (not sure if I can say that on these forums). So, I have a half-human, half-small monstrous spider, level 9 with 27000 to. I already can use web 8 times per day, which can increase with feats or shooters, and have a climb speed.

The only snag: I have to find a way to make the spider intelligent before combining with it. I could just do celestial, but I thought I'd ask if you guys had any other ideas for that.

But, back to what I was saying, that takes care of my race, a few items, and some feats. I think this will be the final decision on my race, unless someone can think of something better, so for now I would like to just ask if there are any classes, prestige or base, items, or anything else that would help complete this? I have until next Friday before I need this finished

Once again, thank you all so much for everything! I would never have looked as far as I did or found so many great items, feats, classes, etc., if it weren't for all the help you guys have given me.

SoraWolf7
2013-10-04, 09:00 PM
There is making your spider Awakened.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-10-04, 10:14 PM
There is making your spider Awakened.

Oooh. But, this is just my ruling, I will ask my DM for his, I think it's a bit of a stretch to think that a wizard captured a spider who was awakened by an, at least, ninth level druid who had vermin heart

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-10-06, 11:10 AM
Yeah. Can't do awakened on the spider beforehand. For 1, he says that it may be a bit too much of a coincidence for the person who altered the spider to be able to give someone it's abilities would also be awakened. For 2, he says that it would be weird that a druid would have lost track of it's awakened spider friend and wouldn't go looking for it unless he had some other reason to let it go. For 3, the druid would have needed the feat Vermin Heart from Pathfinder and, as my DM says, that is classified as another world in this setting. Keep in mind, in this setting it's difficult to find someone who can use teleport and Resurrection spells are unheard of. We only got the ability to raise dead fairly recently.

Also, I found an item called Cablespool in Savage Species and was wondering if it would seem kind of ridiculous to be able to attach 2 of them to my arms. I mean, my DM has said that, for the most part, as long as it makes sense that it might look this way, aesthetics don't matter on items. So, I was thinking if it were, say long enough to be all the way up my forearm from wrist to just below the inside of my elbow, would it make sense to be smaller in width and have the firing and reeling in mechanism be a pressure spot in the middle of my hand that needs the pressure of 2 fingers? I mean, that was just my first idea, but it seems like it might work

IronFist
2013-10-07, 11:56 AM
Awakened spider found by a wizard is pretty much fantasy's case of radiactive spider bite :smallamused:

Fitz10019
2013-10-08, 02:30 PM
The only snag: I have to find a way to make the spider intelligent before combining with it. I could just do celestial, but I thought I'd ask if you guys had any other ideas for that.

How about an aranea instead? [3.5 MM1 p15; Int 15]

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-10-08, 11:32 PM
To IronFist, I was hoping for that too, especially with the whole totem creature thing later down the line, but he wouldn't go for it. So, that was a no.

To Fitz10019, my only thing with that is that I was looking for a way to make the closest thing to actually being spider-man in D&D and, though I like aranae, it doesn't fit as well. The best course of action may just be to take celestial template on top of being half-breed spider considering that it still has the same or less LA. That was why I was asking if anyone knew of a way to get a template or something so that I could make the spider intelligent.

Also, I find it kind of funny to play a guy who can change into a spider human hybrid when I probably never would because I can use all of the abilities I would normally be able to in "normal" form

Fitz10019
2013-10-09, 12:47 AM
Just to be clear, I didn't mean your character should be an aranea, but that one could be the source of your powers (rather than an awakened or celestial spider). I don't quite get the 'combining' you mentioned, so I guess I'm thinking more of a traditional origin (a yo-momma or yo-poppa kind of thing), and you're a half-aranea, half-elf or whatever. Some adventurers found you as a baby, swaddled in a web. They assumed you were there as food, because you appeared to be perfectly 'elfy'. You were adopted in the nearest village or city, etc. Aranea's are smart enough to have some long-term scheme, or an interest in experimentation.

If it is important for you to be a cipher who gains his powers when he's a 'teenager', then, as a half-breed, these powers could be inherited ones that didn't manifest until puberty. Or a spider bite's venom could have triggered your unknown underlying powers when you were attacked at age X. Or combine the two: ever since puberty hit, male spiders have been attacking you on site as a 'rival male.' Eventually your blood is so stocked with venom, your other powers manifest, too.

On another note, this is a fun build experiment. For actually bringing it to a table to play, I'd find a different name. I would worry about breaking immersion for everyone else at the table. (Unless they all want to D&Dize a Marvel character.)

Just food for thought.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-10-09, 07:49 AM
Just to be clear, I didn't mean your character should be an aranea, but that one could be the source of your powers (rather than an awakened or celestial spider). I don't quite get the 'combining' you mentioned, so I guess I'm thinking more of a traditional origin (a yo-momma or yo-poppa kind of thing), and you're a half-aranea, half-elf or whatever. Some adventurers found you as a baby, swaddled in a web. They assumed you were there as food, because you appeared to be perfectly 'elfy'. You were adopted in the nearest village or city, etc. Aranea's are smart enough to have some long-term scheme, or an interest in experimentation.

If it is important for you to be a cipher who gains his powers when he's a 'teenager', then, as a half-breed, these powers could be inherited ones that didn't manifest until puberty. Or a spider bite's venom could have triggered your unknown underlying powers when you were attacked at age X. Or combine the two: ever since puberty hit, male spiders have been attacking you on site as a 'rival male.' Eventually your blood is so stocked with venom, your other powers manifest, too.

On another note, this is a fun build experiment. For actually bringing it to a table to play, I'd find a different name. I would worry about breaking immersion for everyone else at the table. (Unless they all want to D&Dize a Marvel character.)

Just food for thought.

Ah. Interesting. I was just saying that I would never use the change shape ability because it would be worthless to change st all in the first place. Also, I was trying to find a way to be as close to spidey as possible, so the spell-like abilities would need so new flavor text. Though that would be fun.

The combining thing is from Bas.... & Bloodlines. I don't know if I can use that word on this forum, but you can find the book on Scribd. It's a really weird thing called Half-Breed (Biped). Fun combo.

Also, I do agree on this being fun. I figured out that, with the cablespool and swashbuckler 7 and if there are two solid objects that are 100 feet away from each other and my enemy is standing between them, I can basically yoyo myself between the two and charge into my enemy every turn.

Eltuin Hatriguu
2013-10-12, 08:51 AM
Alright everyone, thank you so much for all of your help you have given, but today is where I start playing. I will keep this updated every week on the continuing adventures of Pete Parkour, the spider man. I will also post the final build later today and hopefully a final concept drawing if I can finish it