PDA

View Full Version : help build a wagon

amalthia
2013-09-02, 06:41 PM
I am looking to design the D&D version of an armored tank.

1:need to build the tracks , wheels & related suspension
2:need to build the body
3:need to build the device to power the tracks- can go the route of having it pulled via horses or something
4:need to build a turntable to mount an ballista or catapult.

now how to get it built?

holywhippet
2013-09-02, 06:48 PM
I've got a feeling the gnomes in the Dragonlance setting built something like this. Not sure about what D&D versions it appears in though.

If you want to know how to actually build it, assuming you have designs for it, I'd recommend using the fabricate spell. Alternately you could possibly build it using a lyre of building.

Tysis
2013-09-03, 03:44 AM
Using a regular wagon as a base, you can add a firing castle to which you can mount 2 ballistae to the top. Make it self-propelled and add adamantine armor plating and you should be good to go.

wagon-35gp
firing castle-1000gp
ballistae-500gp each
self propelled vehicle- 132kgp
admantine armor plating-10kgp an inch to cover everything

As is each ballista has a 180 degree firing arc, give each a rotating platform for 500gp each and now both ballistae can fire in any direction.

So for a total of 145,035kgp you can build a basic tank.

Though you'll probably want a non-dimensional trunk for 30kgp to hold all of the ammo for the ballistae. Alternatively making each ballistae self-reloading and quick-reloading gives them an extra dimensional space for 100 bolts and allows them to be reloaded with a move action by 1 person for 33k each.

The wagon has a speed of 60ft or 70ft if you spend 100gp on some wheels of speed. Its going to look ridiculous but you can always re-fluff its appearance.

Everything I mentioned is in the Arms and Equipment Guide if you need specific stat blocks for the vehicle, except quick-loading is in the MIC and self-loading is in Heroes of Battle.

As a side note, at more than 10 tons, this thing would need a team of about 10 heavy horses to pull at roughly 35ft. which would require a lot of horse feed and then if any of them are killed in battle you're more or less stuck in place.

For a cheaper alternative use 4 war elephants listed as 4k each in OA instead of making the vehicle self propelled for 132k. That would give you a top speed of 45ft. with wheel of speed.
Brings the cost of the wagon down to 29,035gp.

If you gave me some specifics on your design or what you wanted the tank to do/be able to withstand I can give some more information based on those needs.

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-03, 04:07 AM
At those prices, you may just want to look into getting an Effigy siege crab.

amalthia
2013-09-03, 04:24 PM
so my group needs to basicly break into a fortified castle of sorts and the "tank" is what the group thought of to do the job for the funds and craft/blacksmith abilities - adamantine & self propelled are out to much money... the rest could work and we will just get horses -thanks all