PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Conversions

Jj234
2013-09-02, 09:42 PM
Hello all, I'm dming a D&D 4e game and my players want to become the following naruto charaters, Kisame,Deidara and Zabuza. Can any of you convert these characters to 4e characters, or come up with homebrew that will allow them to be ingame? Thanks, jj

Kisame : http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Kisame_Hoshigaki
Deidara : http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Deidara
Zabuza : http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Zabuza_Momochi

Ashdate
2013-09-02, 09:48 PM
Hello all, I'm dming a D&D 4e game and my players want to become the following naruto charaters, Kisame,Deidara and Zabuza. Can any of you convert these characters to 4e characters, or come up with homebrew that will allow them to be ingame? Thanks, jj

Rather than assuming that the people who could answer this question are fans of the show, why not go into a little more detail?

For starters, who are each character, and what about them is important to "replicate" in game?

Jj234
2013-09-02, 09:55 PM
Rather than assuming that the people who could answer this question are fans of the show, why not go into a little more detail?

For starters, who are each character, and what about them is important to "replicate" in game?

I personally have no idea what they are talking about, they are huge naruto fans whom I have introduced to D&D. Try using the wiki links for more info.

NecroRebel
2013-09-02, 10:26 PM
Um. Generally speaking, the variety of abilities that shonen characters display isn't really replicable in 4e. What they can do are often too powerful, too ill-defined, or too varied. Your players will need to realize that they will have to do without some of the effects. That said, it should be reasonably possible to emulate the characters' signature abilities.

Zabuza is mostly known for fighting with a very big sword. He doesn't really use much magic, mostly just covering the battlefield with mist, a few powers to spray water at his enemies, a way to trap a single enemy as long as he remains next to it, and the power to make weaker copies of himself. An Avenger would probably be the best bet here. Avengers fight well with big swords, have decent stealth capabilities, and have some offensive magical powers that could be fluffed as water attacks. Covering parts of the battlefield with mist could be done with a couple of magic items, like the Eversmoking Bottle. I'm sure that Avengers have at least some immobilizing powers as well. The clones wouldn't work, but in 4e they probably shouldn't, as that would be an extremely powerful ability.

Deidara just bombs the heck out of everything, and that's more or less all he does. I'd call him a Wizard, set up as a blaster, with a couple of summoning powers (Deidara does create some constructs to attack with... which then explode). Actually pretty easy.

Kisame... I got nothing, really - he's very similar to Zabuza in many ways, except that his signature weapon is very different and likely impossible to emulate. He also uses a lot more magic in battle, like flooding the battlefield and transforming into a shark, but neither of those things is possible in 4e. Maybe a hybrid Swordmage|Wizard, focusing on powers that create difficult terrain on the Wizard side? The trouble is that making a hybrid character is a very bad idea for someone's first three or four, and generally a bad idea afterwards, too.

Alejandro
2013-09-03, 08:17 AM
I personally have no idea what they are talking about, they are huge naruto fans whom I have introduced to D&D. Try using the wiki links for more info.

Sounds like asking them to make D&D versions of the characters themselves would be an excellent way for your group to learn the system together. :)

Jj234
2013-09-03, 03:59 PM
Um. Generally speaking, the variety of abilities that shonen characters display isn't really replicable in 4e. What they can do are often too powerful, too ill-defined, or too varied. Your players will need to realize that they will have to do without some of the effects. That said, it should be reasonably possible to emulate the characters' signature abilities.

Zabuza is mostly known for fighting with a very big sword. He doesn't really use much magic, mostly just covering the battlefield with mist, a few powers to spray water at his enemies, a way to trap a single enemy as long as he remains next to it, and the power to make weaker copies of himself. An Avenger would probably be the best bet here. Avengers fight well with big swords, have decent stealth capabilities, and have some offensive magical powers that could be fluffed as water attacks. Covering parts of the battlefield with mist could be done with a couple of magic items, like the Eversmoking Bottle. I'm sure that Avengers have at least some immobilizing powers as well. The clones wouldn't work, but in 4e they probably shouldn't, as that would be an extremely powerful ability.

Deidara just bombs the heck out of everything, and that's more or less all he does. I'd call him a Wizard, set up as a blaster, with a couple of summoning powers (Deidara does create some constructs to attack with... which then explode). Actually pretty easy.

Kisame... I got nothing, really - he's very similar to Zabuza in many ways, except that his signature weapon is very different and likely impossible to emulate. He also uses a lot more magic in battle, like flooding the battlefield and transforming into a shark, but neither of those things is possible in 4e. Maybe a hybrid Swordmage|Wizard, focusing on powers that create difficult terrain on the Wizard side? The trouble is that making a hybrid character is a very bad idea for someone's first three or four, and generally a bad idea afterwards, too.

So you are saying its pretty much impossible with 4e? Are there any other systems that could support such characters? The PCs wont play unless they can be their favorite characters...

NecroRebel
2013-09-03, 05:19 PM
So you are saying its pretty much impossible with 4e? Are there any other systems that could support such characters? The PCs wont play unless they can be their favorite characters...

You aren't going to be able to perfectly replicate a shonen character in any of the D&D editions, no. They're not meant for that. You can try to get the closest you can to their abilities, and use them as inspiration, but just outright making them? No.

To really make characters like that, you'll need a system that is designed to make characters like that. I'm not familiar with any such system, though I hear GURPS is flexible enough to make pretty much anything, and BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth) is designed for anime-style characters (though not shonen in particular).

You're going to have to just pick a system, learn it, and try to have them learn it, too. They'll be able to do more with any system as their mastery of it improves. As Alejandro said, trying to make characters for a particular goal with a system is a very good way to learn how to make characters for a system.

Ashdate
2013-09-03, 06:24 PM
While I'm not a fan, you might try Mutants and Masterminds. Building characters is pretty complex, but if you're all willing to dig your teeth in, you can probably design some close proxies.

As before tho, it's not really going to work unless the players are going to be willing to invest themselves in the character creation process. Try asking here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60) for more advice (if for anything, than an appropriate system to use), as you'll get better answers there than you will here.

UndertakerSheep
2013-09-04, 05:26 PM
You could also check out this (http://www.narutod20.com/downloads/). Someone actually made a Naruto d20 game. It's got pretty much everything from Naruto ever in there (even NPC statblocks for characters from the show). The core rulebook itself is over 1100 pages long! There's even a few sourcebooks, like The Sage's Handbook.

It's a pretty complex system, but not very much more so than D&D. The amount of choices can be a bit overwhelming though.

kidnicky
2013-09-06, 07:35 PM
There's a homemade game on this board called Anime Fightan Magik (I think that's how you spell it) that's easy to understand and is built from the ground up to replicate these types of shows. And of course, it's FREE so why not play it at least once?