PDA

View Full Version : Help with One Shot Super Attack per Day?

metabolicjosh
2013-09-02, 11:14 PM
I need a LVL 6 Half-Orc

He needs to be a competent melee guy, At least equal to a level 3 fighter, even if i have to use magic items.

However i want him to have a one per day magic attack that is like complete overkill...

Can anyone do this?

juicycaboose
2013-09-02, 11:27 PM
Duskblade level 6, known spells Shocking Grasp and True Strike, feat required: power attack.

Swift cast true strike, and channel Shocking Grasp with full power attack on a two handed weapon (say a greatsword).

Assuming a 16 in strength we have
5d6spell+2d6sword+4strength+12power attack = 40.5 damage on average with a +23 to hit (+26 if the opponent is wearing or holding lots of metal)

I'm sure someone can come up with something better but this one is pretty simple to pull off.

edit: also when you say you want it to be "like complete overkill" complete overkill on what exactly? Opponents of equal CR? Much higher CR?

ArcturusV
2013-09-02, 11:28 PM
As an enemy? Hell, just give him a SLA and call it a day with your DM powers. I'd probably do something players don't typically see, like giving him a SLA 1/day of Meteor Swarm, as if cast by a level 6 Wizard, even though a level 6 wizard normally would not be able to cast it. Dealing up to 32d6 at level 6 to a single target, or spread that out among a group will be quite enough Badass Points for your Evil Guy. He could wipe out entire squads of would be "Heroes" with his move. And could set up a bad guy entrance with that. "Look, it's the City guard here to help us against the orcs and their warleader! ... oh crap, they're all cinders..."

As a PLAYER? I think you're asking too much unless you went something like full Tome of Battle.

rockdeworld
2013-09-02, 11:31 PM
Yes, a cleric can, as can a druid, and technically a Battle Sorcerer can, and artificer, psychic warrior, totemist, duskblade, and possibly Hexblade (but I don't know them well enough to say).

Here's an example:
Desert Half-Orc Druid 6 (with Half-Orc substitution levels)
Str 8/Dex 8/Con 16/Int 11/Wis 17/Cha 12 (25 point buy)

1 Energy Substitution (Sonic)
3 Improved Initiative
6 Natural Spell

Animal Companion: Fleshraker
Favored Form: Fleshraker

This form kills in combat and 1/day (or more) can Call Sonic Lightning (if core only), Sonic Arctic Haze, Spiritjaws, or Touch of Jubilex.

Fable Wright
2013-09-02, 11:46 PM
Stalwart Battle Sorcerer. Get Arcane Strike at level 6, and just use feats for combat stuff. When something needs to die, funnel all of your spell slots into that Arcane Strike. Should get you at least 19d4 extra damage on that hit. You could sacrifice one of those d4s to cast True Strike before unloading for an extra 8 damage from power attack.

Alternatively, if slightly cheesier, use a Duskblade, grab Versatile Spellcaster and learn a level 3 spell via the way the Duskblade's spells known is written (one spell of any level you can cast, and Versatile Spellcaster lists you cast level 3 spells via level 2 slots). Pick up Arcane Strike at level 6. Nova by Quick Casting True Strike, then Arcane Channelling Shocking Grasp and funneling all of your spell slots into it and power attacking for full. This gets you 5d6+12d4+12 (roughly 60 on average) bonus damage, assuming you cast the spells via VSing level 0 slots for the spells. Also, Duskblade is excellent for fighting even without magic, as Knowledge Devotion is essentially the whole line of Weapon Focus feats rolled up into one feat that scales with your character.

One Step Two
2013-09-03, 12:10 AM
Level 3 fighter? Why not level 6. There's something you can do all day long infact, aslong as you have a convenient wall.

Fighter 6, Dungeon Crasher Variant.

1st: Power Attack
Fighter 1st: Improved Bullrush
Fighter 2nd: Dungeon Crasher Substituton (Dungeonscape)
3rd: Pushback (Miniatures handbook)
Fighter 4th: (free)
Fighter 6th: Improved Dungeon Crasher Sub (Dungeonscape)
6th: Shock Trooper (Complete Warror)

In a closed environment, the act of attacking an opponent initiates Pushback once per round, this allows you to start a bull rush, and you take thier space. If you knock them against a wall, you trigger Dungeon Crasher, which will deal 8d6+Strx3, after weapon damage.
If you force the target of the bullrush into someone else, you get to attempt to trip both of them instead thanks to Shock Trooper, depending on interpretation, this may also trigger the Dungeon Crasher damage as well, but I doubt another enemy counts as a solid object to most.

Ways to improve this:
Human isntead, if you can pick up the Jotenbrud feat from Players guide to Faerun, allowing you to count as Large size for that sweet +4 to Bull rush and Trip attempts.
Taking Combat Experise so you can get Improved Trip to really show off domino rush, and locking down an opponent, or even picking up Exotic Weapon Proficency (Spiked Chain) to make the most of theat range.
A Flaws or two to net yourself Combat reflexes with the spiked chain helps too.

Magic items:
A 1/day Item of Wall of Stone/Ice/whatever. Something nice and solid to make all these wonderful feats make perfect harmony.

Enjoy!

Incorrect
2013-09-03, 02:57 AM
Could something like a breath weapon and metabreath feats be an option?
Dragonborn and stacking maximize, empower, widen breath?
I am AFB so maybe someone else can expand on this if its viable.

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-03, 03:10 AM
Heh.

Look up the Spellfire feat, and some way to recharge yourself. I was able to make a commoner that could put out 14D6 damage at level 1 with that.