PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Your favourite loot?

evisiron
2013-09-03, 12:25 AM
I've noticed the quirky and fun items (thinking of the likes of the Cloak of the Bat) tend to be heavily costed in the DMG, and often ditched in favour of bland but combat effective items.

To remedy this I tend to include the oddball items as loot and let the players spend the currency loot on the stuff characters should have according to their wealth by level. Unfavourable rates on the players selling the items often end up with them holding on to the random kit, "just in case".

So my question is: What is your favourite loot? What are the most fun items you have found on your travels, or what ones would you hope for? :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2013-09-03, 12:28 AM
Rod of Ropes. One day…

I've noticed the quirky and fun items (thinking of the likes of the Cloak of the Bat) tend to be heavily costed in the DMGMIC, and the books published after it, are much better in this regard.

Incorrect
2013-09-03, 12:30 AM
I found a Cloak of the Manta Ray with my warblade, and it was absolutely amazing. The ability to turn into a manta ray, with arms, wielding weapons, just solved so many problems in a naval campaign.
I became the amazing MANTA-MAN! :smallbiggrin:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakoftheMantaRay

SolioFebalas
2013-09-03, 12:31 AM
For High level companies.... Desk of Many Things, great dangers, great opportunities.

Zanos
2013-09-03, 12:40 AM
Whenever I play Wizards, getting scrolls in random loot is always fun. My DM uses random generators for scrolls a lot, so sometimes I get spells I probably just wouldn't have used otherwise.

Soupz
2013-09-03, 12:55 AM
For High level companies.... Desk of Many Things, great dangers, great opportunities.

That sounds awesome. I need something that matches my Armoire of Invincibility.

bekeleven
2013-09-03, 01:01 AM

The one-stop shop for all ways to kill a campaign.

yougi
2013-09-03, 01:04 AM
Marvelous Pigments are pretty great.

As a DM, I homebrew lots and lots of these items, and let players' imagination run wild as to how to use it. Ends up being a highly fun part of our games.

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-03, 02:18 AM
Folding boats are my most favorite item. Also something I've been banned from having by three DMs for being "far too clever" with. :smalltongue:

AntiTrust
2013-09-03, 02:24 AM
Gloves of Object reading are my personal favorite, close number two is the feather token tree

nedz
2013-09-03, 03:23 AM
For High level companies.... Desk of Many Things, great dangers, great opportunities.That sounds awesome. I need something that matches my Armoire of Invincibility.

What you need is a Slick Sheila.

SolioFebalas
2013-09-03, 04:18 AM
The one-stop shop for all ways to kill a campaign.

You just need to know when to stop :smallsmile:

Greenish
2013-09-03, 04:36 AM
You just need to know when to stop :smallsmile:Not Even Once.

Curmudgeon
2013-09-03, 05:04 AM
As a DM, I think rings are the most convenient treasure, since they can be found with almost any enemy. If they're intelligent they can be wearing the rings; if they're ravenous beasts you may find magic radiating from their dung, with the rings the only magical remnant of unfortunate devoured characters.

TuggyNE
2013-09-03, 05:43 AM
That sounds awesome. I need something that matches my Armoire of Invincibility.

I see what you did there.

Also, how about a Clock of Resistance? :smallwink:

Feytalist
2013-09-03, 07:01 AM
As a DM, I think rings are the most convenient treasure, since they can be found with almost any enemy. If they're intelligent they can be wearing the rings; if they're ravenous beasts you may find magic radiating from their dung, with the rings the only magical remnant of unfortunate devoured characters.

And rings sometimes have fun but odd effects that aren't used in all circumstances as well. Like, ring of shooting stars.

I know my cleric had some fun with a randomly generated ring of the ram in a previous campaign. Ended up using it so much, I bought another one after the previous one ran out. And I wouldn't ever have even thought of it beforehand.

Greenish
2013-09-03, 07:07 AM
I know my cleric had some fun with a randomly generated ring of the ram in a previous campaign. Ended up using it so much, I bought another one after the previous one ran out. And I wouldn't ever have even thought of it beforehand.Harry Dresden also got great mileage from his Ring(s) of the Ram (though his DM allowed him to recharge them for free).

dysprosium
2013-09-03, 12:24 PM
I love the Deck of Many Things -- so much so some of my long standing players ask when (not if) the Deck will appear in the campaign.

Segev
2013-09-03, 01:58 PM
I am now pondering the idea that a party is brought together by the discovery of a Deck of Many Things at first level. I'd need a few more hooks to make sure it held them together. Those who survived, anyway. >_> <_<

Yes, I see the inherent problem(s), but...it might be worth it as an interesting way to kick off a campaign.

John Longarrow
2013-09-03, 02:09 PM
Masterwork Copper Bolder.

What else is a giant going to do with all their copper pieces besides stick them together to make something to hit people with???

For real gear, anklet of translocation and belt of healing. Works from levels 1-20, even if you toss the same magic on a different item.

Captnq
2013-09-03, 02:14 PM
Gold.

I can use it to buy everything else.

SowZ
2013-09-03, 02:20 PM
If you do that, you may as well just give scaling/static bonus and remove the boring items entirely. It's pretty easy. +1 Resistance to all saves/3 levels, (max of +5 at level 15.) +1 Natural Armor/Deflection to AC/4 levels, (max of +5 at level 20.) +2 Enhancement to an Ability Score at level 6. +2 Enhancement to one Ability Score and +4 to another at level 12, (this replaces the level 6 bonus entirely.) +2 Enhancement to one Ability Score, +4 to another, and +6 to one more at level 18, (replacing the level 12 bonus, of course.)

There you go. Now you never have to worry about balancing fun magic items for necessary ones. As for WBL, chop it in half for the first twelve levels and chop it by a third for the rest and that's a close enough approximation. It ends up being a slight gold boost at lower levels and a slight gold nerf at higher levels but it makes things much simpler, regardless.

As for the question, I like to get cool items I've never heard of before because the DM made them up and gold.

Harlot
2013-09-03, 02:46 PM
I've always hoped to stumple upon the Obsidian Steed or Dearn's Instant Fortress

Buttock of the Titans? :smallcool:

Subaru Kujo
2013-09-03, 03:18 PM
These were always fun as my Master of Many Forms druid.

Desert Wind (+4 Arid Scimitar adds +2d6 Heat damage as it drains the moisture from the target. Gain 1/2 in healing up to max HP)
Shim's Marvelous Skin (+4 Hide armor, but protects as full plate)

Not really that flashy, but quite effective.

Glimbur
2013-09-03, 03:39 PM
Apparatus of Kwalish. I almost gave one to a group of kobolds for a 3rd level party to face, just because the item is so ridiculous. Overcosted but...

Segev
2013-09-03, 03:40 PM
I suppose I should chime in with my adoration of the Rod of Lordly Might, and lamentation that it's grotesquely overpriced for its actual usefulness. You're paying through the nose for the versatility, and sadly, D&D rewards versatility far less than single-focus power. Nothing it does is worth even close to 70,000 gp in terms of single-focus power. :(

bekeleven
2013-09-03, 03:53 PM
If you do that, you may as well just give scaling/static bonus and remove the boring items entirely. [Snip]
So basically give everyone the Vow of Poverty, without the restrictions or bonus feats.