PDA

View Full Version : Rarest Race + Class combo in Core? EDIT: PHB only!

Jon_Dahl
2013-09-03, 12:36 AM
In your experience, what is the rarest Core race and Core class combination?
If possible, mention separately the full-caster and non-full-caster combinations.

IME no one plays half-orcs sorcerers or halfling monks.

Edit: Let's be clear here - This is about PHB classes and races.

Greenish
2013-09-03, 12:41 AM
Bugbear Aristocrat (MM and DMG are Core :smalltongue:).

SolioFebalas
2013-09-03, 12:41 AM
Almost never see:

Gnome Barbarians
Halfling Paladins
Dwarf Rangers
Half-Orc "arcane casters"

Beleron
2013-09-03, 01:38 AM
Half-elf Barbarian
Half-elf Cleric
Half-elf Druid
Half-elf Fighter
Half-elf Monk
Half-elf Paladin
Half-elf Ranger
Half-elf Rogue
Half-elf Sorcerer
Half-elf Wizard

Just to Browse
2013-09-03, 01:39 AM
Half-elf Barbarian
Half-elf Cleric
Half-elf Druid
Half-elf Fighter
Half-elf Monk
Half-elf Paladin
Half-elf Ranger
Half-elf Rogue
Half-elf Sorcerer
Half-elf Wizard

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1340180/spitting-milk-o.gif

Felhammer
2013-09-03, 01:41 AM
Wow, I have played every class/race combo listed thus far in the thread except Bugbear Aristocrat.

In core? Half-Orc Wizard would be my guess. Sorcerer kind of makes sense as a Shaman but Wizard... What kind of Master Wizard trains a Half-Orc?

Maginomicon
2013-09-03, 02:52 AM
Despite what a lot of D&D literature would have you believe...

...Dwarf Wizard.

Greenish
2013-09-03, 02:57 AM
Wow, I have played every class/race combo listed thus far in the thread except Bugbear Aristocrat.Does that mean I win? :smalltongue:

What kind of Master Wizard trains a Half-Orc?The kind that's too wussy to train a full orc.

Blueiji
2013-09-03, 03:02 AM
A Gnome Blackguard would be hilarious.

*in a squeaky, high-pitched Gnome voice* "I shall rend the flesh and salt the wounds! I will rip cracks in the earth and tear the heavens asunder! Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!"

TuggyNE
2013-09-03, 03:16 AM

*in a squeaky, high-pitched Gnome voice* "I shall rend the flesh and salt the wounds! I will rip cracks in the earth and tear the heavens asunder! Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!"

Kind of like this (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-6-53/)?

Gadora
2013-09-03, 04:32 AM
I think that a merfolk wizard would be presented with some unique challenges in keeping their spellbook safe.

Yora
2013-09-03, 05:09 AM
Let's say there are about 30 playable races and 11 classes. That would be 330 possible combinations.
I havn't seen nearly that many characters in my life.

I'm pretty sure I've seen half-orc sorcerers and halfling monks, though.

Amphetryon
2013-09-03, 05:28 AM
Halfling Barbarian is, IME, rarer than Halfling Monk, because the DEX bonus is actually an asset to the Monk, relative to its efficacy on a low-STR Barbarian.

kulosle
2013-09-03, 05:51 AM

Or maybe something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtpYEHC2QeY)?

Zubrowka74
2013-09-03, 09:36 AM

Kind of like Hitler ? You have to picture him in squeeky german though. "Ach! Das ist keine boobie!"

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-03, 09:40 AM
Almost never see:

Gnome Barbarians seen it
Halfling Paladins seen it
Dwarf Rangers seen it as pre-fabricate character for a free RPG day adventure
Half-Orc "arcane casters" played one :smallcool:

whitetextofposting +1

LOTRfan
2013-09-03, 09:49 AM
I think that a merfolk wizard would be presented with some unique challenges in keeping their spellbook safe.

There are some ways around it. You can magically water-proof it (for an added cost of 1000 gp) if you really want a traditional spellbook, but there are other options; tattoos, sheets of ivory, etc.

Greenish
2013-09-03, 09:51 AM
Halfling Barbarian is, IME, rarer than Halfling Monk, because the DEX bonus is actually an asset to the Monk, relative to its efficacy on a low-STR Barbarian.On the other hand, halfling barbarians get fluff (and some crunch) support from Eberron.

Yajirobe
2013-09-03, 10:04 AM
Half-Orc Bard?

atomicwaffle
2013-09-03, 10:08 AM
in the current campaign im in one of the characters is a dwarf ranger, who fights total defense and refuses to kill anything that's not undead. I can respect him for roleplaying, but when a huge earth elemental is pounding us and he's doing nonlethal damage...:smallfurious: Good news is when he goes total defense, his AC is like 22 or something.

i astutely notice you did NOT put half-elf bard on that list. That's what made it funny for me (every bard ive seen has been a half-elf)

Hecuba
2013-09-03, 10:17 AM
Are we counting PRCs?

If so, Half-elf hierophant

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-09-03, 10:18 AM
I once saw a halfling monk PC as a part of adventuring party. It was the most ineffective character I've ever seen.

kestrel404
2013-09-03, 10:32 AM
I've seen Dwarven Wizards. Two. Never played, only stories of them.
I have never seen or heard of a Dwarven Sorceror.

Similarly, I've seen Pixies play every possible role, because despite the +4 LA, tiny+flight+permanent-greater-invisibility is worth it for anybody.
But I've never heard of anybody using a Grig or Nixie as a combat character, and while they've almost got the stats for a Monk (if you're ignoring LA), I think a Nixie Barbarian would probably be a top-of-the-line stinker.

Zubrowka74
2013-09-03, 10:48 AM
Half-Orc Bard?

Rolled an half-orcish Dirge Bard for a Ravenloft game that never took off.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-09-03, 10:59 AM
Almost never see:

Gnome Barbarians
Halfling Paladins
Dwarf Rangers

Funnily enough, I have seen all of those in Pathfinder. Sort of. In PF, Gnomes get a bonus to Con and Cha, and the one I saw was an intimidate monkey. Halflings make decent paladins with their charisma bonus, and the iconic ranger is a dwarf (uses a crossbow). I can't say I've ever seen a half-Orc caster, though, despite how they don't have penalties like in 3.5.

John Longarrow
2013-09-03, 11:16 AM
Grey Elf Commoner. :smallcool:

Since the groups I hang with do a lot of multi-classing, I've seen really eclectic builds. Limiting to core PHB races/classes, I'd have to say Gnome Monk.

Amphetryon
2013-09-03, 11:22 AM
On the other hand, halfling barbarians get fluff (and some crunch) support from Eberron.

Faerun, as well (Ghostwise Halfling Favored Class), though both examples are outside Core.

Deadline
2013-09-03, 11:29 AM
I've played a Gnome barbarian. They are surprisingly effective. Until they get hit by a critical hit from a Redcap wielding a scythe.

*sniff* I'll miss you, brave Gorefoot. :smallwink:

Darrin
2013-09-03, 11:44 AM
Gnome Barbarians

Currently playing a gnome Thogaturge with a split personality (other half hates arcane spellcasters) who technically counts as a Barbarian, although I wouldn't recommend mentioning it to her face.

My first 3.0 character was a Halfling Barbarian.

Halfling Paladins

I would expect these would be popular with Supermount builds.

Dwarf Rangers

Jungle dwarf rangers + Oversize TWF for double dwarven waraxe badaxery.

Got a desert half-orc Bard/Battle Howler of Gruumsh/Jade Phoenix Mage/Sublime Chord all written up that I've been dying to play since about... August 2003? Magic-Blooded template also helps.

How about:

Mountain Dwarf Witch. (For some reason I'm picturing a fake beard. Answers to "Granny Weatherwax".)

Goblin Paladin. Maybe with a Dire Weasel for a mount.

[Edit: My mind wandered out of Core. I blame you all.]

Warforged Druid with Adamantine Body.

Neanderthal Commoner (with Skill Focus: Profession (Lawyer), of course).

Oh gawd... now I want to play a Caveman Lawyer and see how long I can keep him alive. Curse you, GITP boards!

dysprosium
2013-09-03, 12:06 PM
Off the top of my head, I cannot recall ever seeing a dwarf bard, elf monk, or aasimar barbarian.

Goggalor
2013-09-03, 12:15 PM
I once saw a halfling monk PC as a part of adventuring party. It was the most ineffective character I've ever seen.

:smallyuk:

My second ever character in tabletop RPGs was a 3.0 halfling monk that was quite effective (considering we were a very low-op group). :smallamused:

John Longarrow
2013-09-03, 01:32 PM
Currently playing a gnome Thogaturge with a split personality (other half hates arcane spellcasters) who technically counts as a Barbarian, although I wouldn't recommend mentioning it to her face.

Got a desert half-orc Bard/Battle Howler of Gruumsh/Jade Phoenix Mage/Sublime Chord all written up that I've been dying to play since about... August 2003? Magic-Blooded template also helps.

How about:

Mountain Dwarf Witch. (For some reason I'm picturing a fake beard. Answers to "Granny Weatherwax".)

Oh gawd... now I want to play a Caveman Lawyer and see how long I can keep him alive. Curse you, GITP boards!

Rather than a caveman lawyer (Adult Swim has one), I'd go female goliath half-green dragon barbarian / warblade with the unarmed, TWF, and superior unarmed route. Toss in ranks in profession (lawyer) and call her Jennifer Walters.

Novawurmson
2013-09-03, 02:21 PM
Funnily enough, I have seen all of those in Pathfinder. Sort of. In PF, Gnomes get a bonus to Con and Cha, and the one I saw was an intimidate monkey. Halflings make decent paladins with their charisma bonus, and the iconic ranger is a dwarf (uses a crossbow). I can't say I've ever seen a half-Orc caster, though, despite how they don't have penalties like in 3.5.

I was about to say the same. They're actually great mounted Paladins (because their medium mount will be able to ride around indoors well).

Chronos
2013-09-03, 02:34 PM
Well, let's see... My most recent adventure, the DM wanted an all-dwarf party, and we had at various times a druid, a cleric, a fighter, a barbarian, a ranger, a cleric/wizard/rogue, and a cleric/wizard. The ranger was formerly the mine foreman, and went into battle with his trusty pick and hammer.

Before that, it was mostly more typical combinations like elf wizard and various humans, but we did have a halfling bard and a gnome cleric.

Psyren
2013-09-03, 02:41 PM
I was about to say the same. They're actually great mounted Paladins (because their medium mount will be able to ride around indoors well).

Not only that, but with Smite applying to ranged attacks you can be pretty deadly even with a sling. Not to mention all the love PF gave ranged attacks in general.

Lord Raziere
2013-09-03, 02:46 PM
PHB only?

hm. :smallfrown:

that makes it hard, judging from all the people saying they've seen what I was going to say.

but then people have said warforged so….

ahem…..

Changeling Barbarian
Changeling Paladin
Kalashtar anything not Psionic
Warforged Rogue
Warforged Monk
Mul Wizard
Mul Paladin
Mul Cleric
Thri-Keen Paladin
Thri-Keen Bard
Half-Orc Psion
Anything Samurai

Ok, I admit it. probably not core at all, I just wanted to list a bunch of the rarest class race combinations ever.

gurgleflep
2013-09-03, 02:48 PM
Mind flayer barbarian :smallbiggrin:

Edit: I've played it, totally worth it :smallcool: Nobody expected a mind flayer to charge in with a battleaxe!

Edit number two: Just saw that you're only talkin' `bout PHB stuff :smallfrown:
Uh... Gnome barbarian..? *shrugs*

Chronos
2013-09-03, 07:39 PM
OK, let's look at this systematically. There are seven PHB races and 11 PHB classes, for a total of 77 possibilities. From these, let's eliminate all of the common ones, and see what's left.

Humans can be anything. So that brings us down to 66 right away. And fighters are found amongst all the races: If nothing else, you've got the NPC captain of the local militia, or whatever. So 60.
Elves are commonly wizards, rangers, and druids, and it probably wouldn't be too odd to encounter an elf sorcerer, cleric, bard, or rogue. We're down to 53.
Half-elves generally take about the same classes as elves. 46.
Halflings are best-suited to being rogues, and aren't notably great at anything else. 45.
Gnomes have bard as their favored class, and also make good illusionist wizards. They'd probably be decent sorcerers, too, and even though there's not much support for it, they seem like they ought to make good rogues. 41.
Dwarves are generally fighters, barbarians, or clerics. 39.
Half-orcs are well suited to any of the martial classes (barbarian, fighter, ranger, monk), but are seldom anything else, nor paladin. So that leaves 36 rare race/class combinations, as follows:

Elf barbarian, paladin, or monk
Half-elf barbarian, paladin, or monk
Halfling barbarian, paladin, ranger, monk, bard, cleric, druid, wizard, or sorcerer
Gnome barbarian, paladin, ranger, monk, cleric, or druid
Dwarf paladin, ranger, monk, druid, rogue, bard, wizard, or sorcerer
Half-orc paladin, rogue, bard, cleric, druid, wizard, or sorcerer

Now, we narrow it further, based on what people in this thread say they've ever seen:
Felhammer says he's played all of the half-elf classes, plus gnome barbarian, halfling paladin, dwarf ranger, and half-orc "arcane caster" (but we'll leave that last one open until he says which class it was). We're down to 30.
Yora has seen half-orc sorcerers and halfling monks. 28.
Dusk Eclipse has seen some of the same ones as Felhammer, but that's already counted. 28.
Greenish and others pointed out that halfling barbarians get some support in various settings. 27.
atomicwaffle is playing alongside a dwarf ranger, but we already have that. 27.
Blas_de_Lezo has seen a halfling monk, but we've already counted that. 27.
kestrel404 has seen dwarf wizards. 26.
Zubrowka74 has rolled up a half-orc bard. 25.
Ninjaxenomorph has also seen some that others have seen. Still 25.
Deadline is yet another gnome barbarian (how many of those things are there, anyway?). 25.
Darrin has several, but all repeats. 25.
I can add the dwarf druid and rogue, and halfling bard. 22.

So, it looks like the 22 rarest PHB races/classes thus far are:
Halfling ranger, cleric, druid, wizard, or sorcerer
Gnome paladin, ranger, monk, cleric, or druid
Dwarf paladin, monk, bard, or sorcerer
Half-orc paladin, rogue, cleric, druid, or wizard

Has anyone seen any of those?

John Longarrow
2013-09-03, 07:44 PM
Elf Paladin and Monk.
Half Elf Paladin and Monk.
Gnome and Halfling Wizard, Bard, Cleric, and Druid.
Dwarf Monk.
Half-Orc Rogue and Druid.

NOTE: Elf and Half-Elf are accounted for by a half-elf paladin/monk who was reincarnated as an Elf.

Urpriest
2013-09-03, 07:53 PM
Wow, I have played every class/race combo listed thus far in the thread except Bugbear Aristocrat.

Including all the half-elves? Just wondering, since there's a list going now apparently, and I have theoretical reasons to expect half-elf barbarians to be particularly rare.

Amphetryon
2013-09-03, 08:19 PM
Half-Orc Wilder is arguably Core, if SRD counts, and seems like it would be pretty rare.

Gadora
2013-09-03, 08:23 PM
*snip for length*

I've seen... Hm, I can't remember if it was an orcish wizard or a half-orc wizard.
Half-orc paladin has racial substitution levels in Races of Destiny, so i imagine that that sees at least some play.

Half-Orc Wilder is arguably Core, if SRD counts, and seems like it would be pretty rare.
That's kind of going outside the books that say Core on them. At this point, it's been restricted to PHB classes and races though, so... I think it's safe to say SRD doesn't count.

Deaxsa
2013-09-03, 08:27 PM
Or maybe something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtpYEHC2QeY)?

these forums need a +1 function.... :smallannoyed:

Amphetryon
2013-09-03, 08:29 PM
OK, let's look at this systematically. There are seven PHB races and 11 PHB classes, for a total of 77 possibilities. From these, let's eliminate all of the common ones, and see what's left.

Humans can be anything. So that brings us down to 66 right away. And fighters are found amongst all the races: If nothing else, you've got the NPC captain of the local militia, or whatever. So 60.
Elves are commonly wizards, rangers, and druids, and it probably wouldn't be too odd to encounter an elf sorcerer, cleric, bard, or rogue. We're down to 53.
Half-elves generally take about the same classes as elves. 46.
Halflings are best-suited to being rogues, and aren't notably great at anything else. 45.
Gnomes have bard as their favored class, and also make good illusionist wizards. They'd probably be decent sorcerers, too, and even though there's not much support for it, they seem like they ought to make good rogues. 41.
Dwarves are generally fighters, barbarians, or clerics. 39.
Half-orcs are well suited to any of the martial classes (barbarian, fighter, ranger, monk), but are seldom anything else, nor paladin. So that leaves 36 rare race/class combinations, as follows:

Half-elf barbarian, paladin, or monk
Halfling barbarian, paladin, ranger, monk, bard, cleric, druid, wizard, or sorcerer
Gnome barbarian, paladin, ranger, monk, cleric, or druid
Dwarf paladin, ranger, monk, druid, rogue, bard, wizard, or sorcerer
Half-orc paladin, rogue, bard, cleric, druid, wizard, or sorcerer

Now, we narrow it further, based on what people in this thread say they've ever seen:
Felhammer says he's played all of the half-elf classes, plus gnome barbarian, halfling paladin, dwarf ranger, and half-orc "arcane caster" (but we'll leave that last one open until he says which class it was). We're down to 30.
Yora has seen half-orc sorcerers and halfling monks. 28.
Dusk Eclipse has seen some of the same ones as Felhammer, but that's already counted. 28.
Greenish and others pointed out that halfling barbarians get some support in various settings. 27.
atomicwaffle is playing alongside a dwarf ranger, but we already have that. 27.
Blas_de_Lezo has seen a halfling monk, but we've already counted that. 27.
kestrel404 has seen dwarf wizards. 26.
Zubrowka74 has rolled up a half-orc bard. 25.
Ninjaxenomorph has also seen some that others have seen. Still 25.
Deadline is yet another gnome barbarian (how many of those things are there, anyway?). 25.
Darrin has several, but all repeats. 25.
I can add the dwarf druid and rogue, and halfling bard. 22.

Has anyone seen any of those?I've played a Dwarf Wizard, a Dwarf Ranger, and a Dwarf Sorcerer (I'm short and hairy; go figure). I've seen a Half-Orc Paladin and a Half-Orc Sorcerer. I've seen a Halfling Monk and a Halfling Barbarian (Ghostwise). I've seen two different Gnome Barbarians in different groups(lively debates over whether you could qualify for Power Attack if your STR was 16 only while Raging).

Zeb
2013-09-03, 08:41 PM
My younger brother took an Gnome cleric from 1 to 16, and only died thrice.

I ran a halfling cleric of luck, as well as wizard and sorcs, the sorc was actually a ray specialist named Ramound.

Had a party of dwarf monks try Return to temple of elemental evil, no armor/weapons meant they had more carrying capacity for "phat lootz."

Dwarf Sorcs have some substitution levels that are decent(Con to Cha for bonus spells). But that might be considered outside of core.

Do half orcs who think they are wizards (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049) count?

Seen alot of the others but to be fair we used to do the occasional random goblin ball with a rolled d8 for race and d12 for class, great fun but not always a win for us.

Chronos
2013-09-03, 08:49 PM
And with that, we're down to 9:

Elf barbarian
Halfling ranger or sorcerer
Gnome paladin, ranger, or monk
Dwarf paladin or bard
Half-orc cleric

Sylthia
2013-09-03, 08:50 PM

I have a halfling sorcerer and a gnome druid in two different campaigns at the moment.

I've seen/played Half-orc rogue, cleric and a dwarf bard in past campaigns.

If you count NPCs I've DM'd I could add all classes of dwarf.

TrollCapAmerica
2013-09-03, 09:23 PM
Despite what a lot of D&D literature would have you believe...

...Dwarf Wizard.

The best/Favoritecharacter ive played in 3.5 has been my Dwarven Wizard

Dwarves actually have pretty good fluff reasons for being Wizards.Someone needs to enchant all those awesome masterwork items they have coming off the forge and id imagine it being a pretty prestigious position in Dwarf society especially considering the years of rigorous study and dedication involved.A high Int would help remembering your family lineage for the inevitable scene where you recite that your "Son of X to the n'th power" too

My Dwarf wizard was a a blast to play focusing on the most Dwarfy battlefield control spells [Wall of stone Rock to mud Stone Shape etc].I got to treat every battle like a siege and by specializing in divination I already tended to be prepared/It only got more Dwarfy when I got spell focus Abjuration went Iot7FV

Dimers
2013-09-03, 10:13 PM
Knocking down more of the list ... I've seen wild elf barbarians, but not PHB-elf. Gnome monk, two of them. Gnome paladin, only in fluff (actually a fighter). Dwarf paladin, yes.

We have ALL seen a halfling ranger if we read a certain comic strip popular around these parts. And I've put together but not played a halfling ranger who went into the Complete Adventurer beastmaster and rider PrCs.

Rob Roy
2013-09-03, 10:43 PM

Elf barbarian
Dwarf paladin or bard
Half-orc cleric

I played a gnome paladin once.

nedz
2013-09-03, 11:29 PM
My first ever character was a Dwarf Wizard.

Current Dwarf game has
Cleric, Wizard, Monk, Fighter/Rogue/Cleric, Scout, Ranger
We did have a Barbarian and are on our second Monk.

Oh and there was an NPC Dwarf Bard at one point. Its a Dwarven army game and he was attached to the party.

Jon_Dahl
2013-09-04, 12:03 AM

Elf barbarian
Dwarf paladin or bard
Half-orc cleric

Thank you for the good work Chronos! I have to say that half-orc clerics are common in our games, since one of our grognards think that half-orc cleric/assassins are extremely powerful characters (it's a legacy thing). Some players agree with him.

SolioFebalas
2013-09-04, 01:25 AM

How about:

Rarest race + class combo in CORE

Jon_Dahl
2013-09-04, 01:42 AM
Rarest race + class combo in CORE

It's all right Solio. It seems that when you try to talk about Core, you always get weird responses. It's sort of a taboo and if you touch it, people immediately start to talk off-topic or troll.

But still, it would be nice to hear what is the rarest combo of the 77 possibilities...

TuggyNE
2013-09-04, 01:57 AM
It's all right Solio. It seems that when you try to talk about Core, you always get weird responses. It's sort of a taboo and if you touch it, people immediately start to talk off-topic or troll.

Like Monk, or ToB not available, or PF; first impressions matter, and sometimes they're really hard to overcome in a thread, even for stupid reasons.

Lafaellar
2013-09-04, 02:12 AM
Elf Paladin
Dwarf Bard (It's definitive on my list of hilarious concepts I want to play though)

I have seen a few Halfling Monks actually, in Forgotten Realms they are quite common because of the "Fist of the Hin" Monk Order.

Rubik
2013-09-04, 02:36 AM
Tarrasque bard.

Not barding. BARD.

Lord Haart
2013-09-04, 02:45 AM
Core, you say? I'd wager on a half-elf Dwarven Defender. Funny how i seem to almost never misplace my money.

Concerning the list, i can attest to playing a half-orc paladin, an orc druid and a dwarf wizard (kinda wizard; i'm heavily into multiclassing, but the class is there and is perceived as a part of the main course rather than as a dip).

Rubik
2013-09-04, 02:52 AM
Core, you say? I'd wager on a half-elf Dwarven Defender. Funny how i seem to almost never misplace my money.Hell, I've never seen a dwarven dwarven defender. They're that crummy.

Lucid
2013-09-04, 05:00 AM
I'm going to make a wild guess and say that probably the least played combo ever is a Half-elf Monk.

Seriously, in our group, Tanis from the Dragonlance books is probably the only Half-elf I've ever encountered.

Feytalist
2013-09-04, 05:15 AM
I played a very successful elf barbarian once. (Fine, it was a wild elf, but that sort of counts, right?)

Our sort-of group leader for the past 7 years has been a gnome paladin. The same gnome paladin even. That little guy has the luck of the gods.

I rolled up a dwarf bard once, but never got to play it. He was going to have a custom lute with strings made from different metals. He was going to play heavy metal.

SiuiS
2013-09-04, 05:22 AM

I played that guy! He sounded like Towelie from southpark. I won most of my battles because the DM was laughing too hard to really think straight.

Snowbluff
2013-09-04, 08:13 AM
My fisrt 3.5 game I played an Elf Paladin named Al' and a Gnome Cleric named Merrick.

dysprosium
2013-09-04, 08:42 AM
Back when WotC were making miniatures, there was a halfling ranger in the Archfiends set. I have three of them. :smallsmile:

Chronos
2013-09-04, 08:54 AM
OK, so we're now down to three: Nobody has yet reported the existence of a PHB-elf barbarian, a gnome ranger, nor a dwarf paladin.

The first one, I can understand: The PHB elf is poorly suited for barbarian, but not so poorly suited that people would do it as a joke like they might for halfling or gnome. And if you really want an elf barbarian for story reasons, you're probably going to make it a Wood Elf for the strength bonus.

The other two, though, I'm a little surprised by. Some of the gnome fluff points to them being close to nature, and dwarves are big on duty, responsibility, and such.

And Belkar has been the only halfling ranger mentioned so far. Does anyone have an example of one in a game?

dysprosium
2013-09-04, 09:01 AM
There's an old thread on here about optimizing a dwarf paladin boar rider

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219788

And that thread reminded me of the dwarf boar rider miniature from WotC which I think was supposed to be a paladin.

Darrin
2013-09-04, 09:08 AM
OK, so we're now down to three: Nobody has yet reported the existence of a PHB-elf barbarian, a gnome ranger, nor a dwarf paladin.

My current gnome Thogaturge PC just took a ranger level (working towards Horizon tripper): Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Ranger 1. Does that count?

Novawurmson
2013-09-04, 09:37 AM
I'm going to make a wild guess and say that probably the least played combo ever is a Half-elf Monk.

My second character ever was a half-elf monk XD

Edit: And I've had a player play a gnome ranger. Ranged, of course.

nedz
2013-09-04, 10:51 AM
I've run an entirely Dwarf game from levels 1-18 where the entire sub-setting was Dwarf centric. I can't recall a single Dwarf Paladin, NPC or otherwise.

I guess my group just doesn't do Paladins.