PDA

View Full Version : I have a hypothetical regarding this story

The Kind Knido
2013-09-03, 06:00 AM
Since the Linear Guild showed up and and Zz'dtri was taken away by lawyers who are clearly way out of place, they have appeared numerous times since...

I'm not so sure The Giant would end the story like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the cast is arrested due to a "LARP or re-enactment gone too far", but what would your reaction be if right before the final battle, several authority figures of the current world came out of nowhere or from whatever rift or gate is nearby and arrested the cast?

I had this idea days or so ago while on Skype discussing the story and I immediately disliked the idea. It works very well in Grail because the movie isn't 10+ years long, but not here. Hells no.

I would be fine, though, if they did show up only to be obliterated by the onslaught of powerfully superior skills.

Still, what would your reaction be if the entire story was leading up to the cast that remained being arrested before the story could begin to wrap up with a good fight and end scene?

Jalor
2013-09-03, 06:20 AM
I would be fine, though, if they did show up only to be obliterated by the onslaught of powerfully superior skills.

Somehow, THIS feels like the most likely option. Those two lawyers showing up to break up the climactic action sequence and promptly getting killed seems totally in character for this comic.

The Kind Knido
2013-09-03, 06:26 AM
I fully agree. I actually don't even like those guys, and I'm not really sure why. This kind of scenario, I think, would be distracting from the huge showdown, but it could probably go just about anywhere, even at the current spot.

littlebum2002
2013-09-03, 06:46 AM
It might be funny, if they hadn't already done that joke with zz'diri

The Kind Knido
2013-09-03, 06:50 AM
I was under the impression they "removed" him from the story because he was infringing on the character of Drizz't. I can't see too much related to Grail in that regard.

The lawyers have to lead up to something, just like those squids do. I'd think it disappointing to see them as repeated jokes instead of leading up to one climactic punchline involving them.

Kish
2013-09-03, 07:20 AM
I suggest you get prepared to be disappointed by the lawyers and the flumphs remaining running gags, nothing more or less, then.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-03, 07:37 AM
I suggest you get prepared to be disappointed by the lawyers and the flumphs remaining running gags, nothing more or less, then.

QFT. I find it highly unlikely for either the lawyers or the flumphs to suddenly become elevated from recurring gag status into something that actually affects the plot in a climactic way,

The Kind Knido
2013-09-03, 04:36 PM
I'm not expecting them to affect the story at all, I'm just wondering if they'll have any "climactic punchline" such as the Grail thing for the lawyers where they get destroyed by the obviously more powerful.

The flumphs though?

Well...they wear spiky helmets which kills off a side character that meant next to nothing and they feel useful and go start a business selling them.

dps
2013-09-03, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Skorn;15948800I actually don't even like those guys, and I'm not really sure why.[/QUOTE]

Hint: they're lawyers.
:smallbiggrin:

NerdyKris
2013-09-03, 05:27 PM
Since the Linear Guild showed up and and Zz'dtri was taken away by lawyers who are clearly way out of place, they have appeared numerous times since...

I'm not so sure The Giant would end the story like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the cast is arrested due to a "LARP or re-enactment gone too far", but what would your reaction be if right before the final battle, several authority figures of the current world came out of nowhere or from whatever rift or gate is nearby and arrested the cast?

I had this idea days or so ago while on Skype discussing the story and I immediately disliked the idea. It works very well in Grail because the movie isn't 10+ years long, but not here. Hells no.

Still, what would your reaction be if the entire story was leading up to the cast that remained being arrested before the story could begin to wrap up with a good fight and end scene?

I will never understand why, when seeing a well written and original story, anyone would even stop to think "I wonder if they're going to end it by completely ripping off a famous and well known movie's punchline?".

I mean really. If it actually ended that way, I'd question if Rich Burlew had suffered a severe head injury, or been kidnapped and replaced by freshmen English students.

Not to mention that multiple plot threads would go unresolved, and the whole epic saga would be for naught.

The Kind Knido
2013-09-03, 06:38 PM
That's why it's a hypothetical.

NerdyKris
2013-09-03, 07:16 PM
That's why it's a hypothetical.

That doesn't make any sense. You might as well be asking "how would readers react if The Giant just posted a picture of him flipping off the readers and then deleted the archives?" It's an absurd scenario that would never occur. Saying it's a hypothetical doesn't suddenly make it any less ridiculous.

The Kind Knido
2013-09-03, 08:41 PM
Did I ever say or even imply that calling it a "hypothetical" would make it more ridiculous? No.

I merely asked what people's reactions would be to the story ending as mentioned above.

Rakoa
2013-09-03, 09:01 PM
What if this occurs, except that the lawyers then show up again immediately after and drag themselves away for ripping off Monty Python. Then the battle resumes as normal.

Nilehus
2013-09-03, 09:20 PM
"You can't just bring in a running gag all the time to end a comic! ... Wait a minute."

Probably butchered that quote, but I think it's from the argument sketch?

WindStruck
2013-09-03, 09:58 PM
Would be even more great of Durkon quips, "Lawyers. What a bunch of worthless bloodsuckers."

Zerter
2013-09-04, 12:32 AM
All the hate towards laywers... most products used to read this were made possible by laywers bringing creative and finance together. Look at Celia, she aint bad. Nah, who am I kidding, hate away :D. Laywers are like Tarquin in that regard, they love the hate.