PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for this factotum?

qwertyu63
2013-09-03, 06:23 AM
I am making a factotum, and would like to hear any advice you have for him. My goal is to expand the number of situations he can actively contribute to. The character can be found here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yMqe9wjW_iVCI7_NE5AOvp22uPr06VnjIb37MHrWG9U/edit?usp=sharing). I would like to avoid increasing the size of the sources list too much, but I can add to it. (If you need the source of the homebrew, check my extended signature for factotum feats)

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Sheet is in spoiler:

Lance Kerrigan, Professional Adventurer
True Neutral Grey Elf
Factotum 12
XP: 66,000/78,000
6'2", 170 lbs

Ability Scores:
Str: 12 (+1)
Dex: 12 (+1)
Con: 14 (+2)
Int: 23+6:29 (+9)
Wis: 8 (-1)
Cha: 10 (+0)

Stats:
HP: 82/82 (12d8+24)
AC: 16 (10+1 Dex+5 Armor)
Flat-footed: 15, Touch: 11
BAB: +9/+4
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +4 (bad, good, bad)
Initiative: +10, Speed: 30'

Weapons/Armor:
-Main Melee: +1 Shock Longsword (+11/+6, 1d8+2+1d6 electric [crit: 19-20, x2])
-Main Ranged: +1 Shock Longbow (+11/+6, 1d8+1+1d6 electric [crit: x3])
-Armor: +1 Chain shirt (+5 AC, -1 ACP)

Class/Other Abilities:
-Inspiration (6 points)
--Cunning Insight (1: INT to attack roll, damage roll or saving throw)
--Cunning Knowledge (1: Factotum level to skill)
--Arcane Dilettante (5 spells, max level 4) (1: Cast prepared spell)
--Cunning Defense (1: INT to AC for 1 turn, vs. one foe)
--Cunning Strike (1: 1d6 sneak attack)
--Opportunistic Piety (4+Wis/day) (1: Heal [Factotum level*2+INT], or turn undead)
--Cunning Surge (3: Take 1 Standard Action)
--Cunning Breach (2: Ignore targets DR/SR for 1 round)
~~Cunning Preparation (Up to 100 gp of unspecified stuff) (1: Decide on some unspecified stuff)
~~Cunning Adaptability (Int mod times per day) (2: Have a chosen feat for 1 minute)
-Trapfinding
-Brains over Brawn
~Raven Familiar (Speaks Common, Int 11)

Feats:
1-Cunning Preparation (100 gp of floating inventory, get items by spending inspiration points)
F-Wedded to History (Wanderer) (Ageless, speak unknown languages [Int DC 15])
3-Knowledge Devotion (Make Knowledge checks to gain attack/damage boosts)
6-Cunning Adaptability (Get temporary feats by spending inspiration points)
9-Vatic Gaze (Detect Magic at will, Sense Motive to read casters power)
12-Obtain Familiar (Get a familiar)
Flaw- Murky-Eyed (When attacking into Concealment, roll twice, taking worst)

Inventory:
-Handy Haversack
--Main Pocket
---100 gp floating inventory
--Side Pocket 1
---Everful Mug
---Endless Rations
---Magic Bedroll
---Winter Blanket
--Side Pocket 2
---Eternal Wand [Cure Light Wounds]
---50' silk rope
---Crowbar
---Flint and steel
---Everburning Torch
---Dagger
---Wood Shield
---Thieves’ tools, Mk
---Firament stone (moon)
---246 gold pieces, 5 silver pieces
-Headband of Intellect +6
-+1 Shock Longsword
-+1 Shock Longbow
-+1 Chain shirt
-Endless Quiver
-Anklet of translocation
-Ring of Evasion
-Cloak of Resistance +1
-Spell component pouch

Skills: (6+6 Int [was 5 Int for 1-7])
Knowledge (Arcana): 8 ranks (+9 Int=+17)
Knowledge (Local): 8 ranks (+9 Int=+17)
Knowledge (Religion): 8 ranks (+9 Int=+17)
Knowledge (Nature): 8 ranks (+9 Int=+17)
Knowledge (Dungeoneering): 8 ranks (+9 Int=+17)
Knowledge (The Planes): 8 ranks (+9 Int=+17)
Survival: 8 ranks (-1 Wis=+7)
Tumble: 8 ranks (+2 Dex+9 Int-1 ACF=+18)
Hide: 8 ranks (+2 Dex+9 Int-1 ACF=+18)
Spot: 8 ranks (-1 Wis=+7)
Search: 8 ranks (+9 Int=+17)
Bluff: 7 ranks (+0 Cha=+7)
Decipher Script: 7 ranks (+9 Int=+16)
Diplomacy: 7 ranks (+0 Cha=+7)
Disable Device: 7 ranks (+9 Int=+16[+2 tool])
Disguise: 7 ranks (+0 Cha=+7)
Intimidate: 7 ranks (+0 Cha=+7)
Listen: 7 ranks (-1 Wis=+6)
Move Silently: 7 ranks (+2 Dex+9 Int-1 ACF=+17)
Open Lock: 7 ranks (+2 Dex+9 Int=+18[+2 tool])
Sense Motive: 7 ranks (-1 Wis=+6)
Use Magic Device: 7 ranks (+0 Cha=+7)
Perform (Oratory): 5 ranks (-1 Wis=+4)

Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan.

Spells:
-Dimension Door (Teleport 400+40/CL ft.)
-Dispel Magic (Cancels/counters magic)
-Fireball (AoE 20 ft radius, 10d6 fire, Ref half, DC 13+int modifier)
-Blur (Attacks miss target 20%, 1 min/CL)
-Summon Monster III (Summon a monster for CL rounds)

Knowledge Devotion bonuses:
Check Bonus---Result Granted
15 or below---+1
16–25---------+2
26–30---------+3
31–35---------+4
36 or higher--+5

Bio:
Lance Kerrigan is a professional adventurer. While he could do any number of other things with his talents, wanderlust inevitably leads him back into harm's way. Over the years, he acquired a wide range of knowledge, but never truly mastered anything. Instead, he dabbles in a broad range of talents, picking up the basics of each. This grants him a near unmatched level of versatility, which he uses to do... whatever he wants to really.

Sources Used:
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook II
Dungeon Master's Guide
Dungeonscape
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Magic Item Compendium
Unearthed Arcana
Homebrew
Dragon #354

Person_Man
2013-09-03, 08:00 AM
Books allows? Starting level? Expected max level of the campaign? Will you be using cheesy Font of Inspiration? Can you post a short version of your build in your original post. (Some people won't click through to read it and will just start spouting off generic advice, and others can't click through because we're blocked at work).

qwertyu63
2013-09-03, 08:06 AM
Books allows? Starting level? Expected max level of the campaign? Will you be using cheesy Font of Inspiration? Can you post a short version of your build in your original post. (Some people won't click through to read it and will just start spouting off generic advice, and others can't click through because we're blocked at work).

I can do better. The sheet is pure-text anyway (excluding an image of the character, which is my avatar), so I can just paste the entire sheet. Check the main post.

To answer your questions: Just about any book is allowed, the character is level 12, I have no idea where it will end and FoI is not allowed.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-03, 08:29 AM
I'd drop Vatic Gaze-- it seems too easy to replace with a magic item. Instead... Improved Familiar, perhaps? Or maybe Craven, to turn Cunning Strike into a semi-useful form of offense.

Also, considered Chameleon? Factotum 8/Chameleon 10 is probably the classic "do all the things!" build.

qwertyu63
2013-09-03, 09:39 AM
I'd drop Vatic Gaze-- it seems too easy to replace with a magic item. Instead... Improved Familiar, perhaps? Or maybe Craven, to turn Cunning Strike into a semi-useful form of offense.

Also, considered Chameleon? Factotum 8/Chameleon 10 is probably the classic "do all the things!" build.

I did consider Chameleon, but I decided against it, mostly due to not have enough feats to throw around as is.

As for Vatic Gaze, I need to have its effect of Detect Magic at will, but if there is an item for that it could work.

Chronos
2013-09-03, 10:44 AM
You seem to be lacking skill boosters. Personally, I'm fond of Hide and Move Silently, which means you want the Shadow and Silent Moves armor mods, and a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis.

A one-level dip in Incarnate would help a lot, too, except that that's inconsistent with True Neutral.

You can cut the Cunning Preparation feat (is that homebrew?) by just filling up your Handy Haversack with the actual items themselves. They're dirt-cheap. Instead, you probably want Darkstalker.

And how does Cunning Adaptability work? I think that's homebrew, too.

The Random NPC
2013-09-03, 11:05 AM

It looks like you spend 2 inspiration points to get a temporary feat, Int mod times per day.

gorfnab
2013-09-03, 11:07 AM
IAs for Vatic Gaze, I need to have its effect of Detect Magic at will, but if there is an item for that it could work.
Artificers Monocle - MIC, turns Detect Magic into Identify. A two level dip into Warlock would work. Otherwise an at will Detect Magic would be about 900gp.

Phaederkiel
2013-09-03, 11:14 AM
I think Vatic Gaze is a really cool feat. I'd rather get rid of the familiar. Or of cunning preparation. It is a good feat at lvl 1, but now? Get yourself some shapesand or nolzurs pigments, these replace such a feat easily.

But why o why do you have so little font of inspiration? I had this feat x 5 with my factotum and it was too little!

one lvl in swordsage would be a good idea. Get yourself 3 good saves, teleport out of grapples and uber high ac (since you will prob ably have ranks in sense motive anyway)

qwertyu63
2013-09-03, 11:20 AM
You seem to be lacking skill boosters. Personally, I'm fond of Hide and Move Silently, which means you want the Shadow and Silent Moves armor mods, and a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis.

A one-level dip in Incarnate would help a lot, too, except that that's inconsistent with True Neutral.

You can cut the Cunning Preparation feat (is that homebrew?) by just filling up your Handy Haversack with the actual items themselves. They're dirt-cheap. Instead, you probably want Darkstalker.

Both of the Cunning Feats are homebrew. The point of Cunning Preparation is you have what ever minor item you needed, without have needed to think of it in advance. As for Cunning Adaptability...

It looks like you spend 2 inspiration points to get a temporary feat, Int mod times per day.

This is exactly how it works. Spend the points to have your chosen feat for 1 minute.

Artificers Monocle - MIC, turns Detect Magic into Identify. A two level dip into Warlock would work. Otherwise an at will Detect Magic would be about 900gp.

Dips are right out the window. As for the Artificers Monocle, I want Detect Magic to spot magical effects, not just to identify items (that's just a bonus). An at will Detect Magic item could work, but I'd have to see if I can free up that much gold.

I think Vatic Gaze is a really cool feat. I'd rather get rid of the familiar. Or of cunning preparation. It is a good feat at lvl 1, but now? Get yourself some shapesand or nolzurs pigments, these replace such a feat easily.

But why o why do you have so little font of inspiration? I had this feat x 5 with my factotum and it was too little!

one lvl in swordsage would be a good idea. Get yourself 3 good saves, teleport out of grapples and uber high ac (since you will prob ably have ranks in sense motive anyway)

I said I wasn't going to use font of inspiration. No dips either.

Person_Man
2013-09-03, 04:12 PM
My suggestions:

Grey Elf is a weak-ish race. You might want to consider Changeling, Whisper Gnome, Human, Strongheart Halfling, Dragonborn something, or if you want to consider Alter Self shenanigans, Elan, Neraphim, or Duskling.
Are you sure your homebrew is approved by the DM? Cunning Adaptability seems way too potent for a Feat. A "floating" Feat is very powerful.
I would drop Wedded to History, in that it's easily replaced by Decipher Script or a few cheap scrolls for that 1-2 times you might need an unknown language).
I would drop Vatic Gaze for the reasons noted above. Cheap magic items can replace it.
I would personally would drop Knowledge Devotion because it's such a huge Skill Point sink to use it correctly, it eats your very limited Turn Undead uses (which could be used for a different Divine/Domain/Devotion Feat), and the scaled benefits aren't great unless you can get really high checks and generally depend heavily on to-hit rolls (which Factotums shouldn't). Because of Cunning Surge, Factotum are generally built much more towards Standard Actions (spells, magic items, and/or other abilities from multi-classing) not spamming full attacks (where a to-hit bonus would be most useful). The caveat to that is if you want to be a Rapidshot/Manyshot ranged build (bsaically allowing you to make 2 full attacks).
Obtain Familiar is a great option, and I would take it earlier. In particular, a Familiar can hold the charge of any touch spell. So before combat you can cast a touch spell, the Familiar can hold onto it (indefinitely if you don't cast any other spells), and then on the first round of combat it can deliver the spell (preferably a debuff or Save or Lose) for you, and then you can cast a spell, and then you can use Cunning Surge to cast another spell. Basically you can "nova" and cast three spells in 1 round. (4 if you get a Spell Storing weapon and an enemy triggers an attack of opportunity).
Murky-Eyed is a very painful Flaw to take, in that Concealment can be a very difficult defense to overcome at higher levels. So if you're going to be playing in a high level game, I would pick something else of just not take a Flaw.
Feats to consider: Improved Familiar, Darkstalker, Divine Defiance, Fearless Destiny, Mobile Spellcasting, Smooth Talk, Summon Elemental, Travel Devotion, Winged Warrior.
Spells to consider: Solid Fog (or any good battlefield control spell), Alter Self or Polymorph, Heroics (Spell Comp, floating bonus Fighter Feat), any debuff (for your Familiar to deliver), and a good Save or Lose. I would probably drop the Summons and Blur.
Skills: I would dump the Skills with limited uses - Perform, Survival, Decipher Script, and some or all of the Knowledge Skills. I would max out the Skills you're likely to use most often: UMD, Tumble, Spot, Listen, Search, Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently, Sense Motive, and Diplomacy (or Bluff).

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-03, 04:21 PM
I would personally would drop Knowledge Devotion because...it eats your very limited Turn Undead uses
Minor nitpick: Knowledge Devotion does not require the expenditure of turn attempts.

prototype00
2013-09-06, 06:25 PM
Hmm, if you have access to the Chameleon PrC, I had quite a nice build based entirely around Font of Inspiration...

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19861854/Ted_the_heiney_kicking_enabler?pg=1

I cannot believe I wrote that 9 years ago! :smallfrown:

Anyway, the build was based on having spells (up to 6th level) from the most classes possible, and casting Spikes and Greater Mighty Wallop on a Greatclub for massive damage.

You then spend Inspiration points for standard actions and go to town after super buffing yourself in the first round of combat.

Out of combat, you're mostly the crafter (with a switch in slot for crafting feats thanks to Chameleon), but really the build is meant to fill any role.

prototype00

JanusJones
2013-09-06, 07:32 PM
Lessee here ...

Faerie Mysteries Initiate gets you Int to HP instead of Con. Dragon # ... erm ... ah crap. It's a Greyhawk regional feat.

No Font is ... inadvisable. With that said, I would have selected EWP - Gnomish Quickrazor, then gone ahead and pumped Iaijutsu Focus. It gives a reliable damage source for combat - flat-footed can be had using spells (Druid 3 for Blinding Spittle, which you can have on a wand, or classics like grease).

I personally like Knowledge Devotion - and I HATE Obtain Familiar. I generally dislike carrying around experience bombs in my pants, but that's me.

+1 on the pump-stealth options. The handy thing there (what with your Int mod going to Hide and MS) is sneaking up for massive Iaijutsu Focus + Sneak Attack hits. Remember, you can have as many SA dice as Inspiration you have lying around. Except ... no font. Nevermind.

Craven's not a terrible idea - nor is Darkstalker. Stealth is fun to boost. You could also, if you like, go with an Improved Feint approach to Iaijutsu Focus.

My three cents! :smallsmile: