PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Stand/Hanger for Flyers Needed.

BlckDv
2013-09-03, 12:42 PM
Hey all; I've got a epic set piece battle coming up this weekend, and have one big hole in my setup.

I need something to use to display mini's that are floating/flying.

Details:

I have built a huge set piece, 40 squares to a side with fully 3D terrain from floor level to 25" tall (125', 5' to 1" scale) support pillars, to raised daises and platforms, even balconies in the walls 12" above the main floor. With all of this detail into the terrain, having a mini just sitting on the floor with a counter to show squares of altitude feels like a real let down.

The party will be fighting 3 enemies and a variety of environmental hazards, and each enemy can hover, and some of the hazards can move in 3D.

Additionally, a few of the PCs have flight/teleport powers that let them stay in midair.

I want something like a telescoping stand, or a stand with clips at adjustable heights, etc. A way so that if an enemy is floating 10" up, I can put the mini 10" up. All minis are on bases, so I do have a flat disc i can clip to, or place on a platform/base if needed.

As mentioned, the fight is this coming weekend, so something I can likely get/build from local shops (not in a big city, but do have stores like Michael's and Model shops) or order with overnight shipping would be ideal.

Hit me with suggestions.

BlckDv
2013-09-03, 07:23 PM
Replying to myself with ne info:

I found CorSec, which seems to make a perfect product: http://corseceng.com/

Sadly, they don't seem to offer any speedy shipping options, so don't look like I could get them for this weekend.

Jack of Spades
2013-09-03, 08:10 PM
Maybe you can find some really cheap ring stands? Not sure if that kind of thing is readily available though.

The simple solution that I'm kind of coming up with as I type it would possibly be to get some dowels or other straight sticks and some good chunks of styrofoam, then make a styrofoam platform that can slide along the pole and find something (some kind of pin or clip, maybe) to hold it up. A bit more styrofoam or whatever else is lying around to hold up the pole, and I think it would probably work. All those supplies are likely at a hobby store, so that's a plus. Might get a bit pricy, though. A bit parts-intensive.

If push comes to shove, using dice as elevation markers works too.

BlckDv
2013-09-03, 09:29 PM
Dice for elevation is what we usually do, but with all the fancy work into making this set, it struck me as kind of sad to have the minis all sitting on the floor with elevation dice.

My current idea if I don't come up with better is to use 3"x1/2" wood square bases, 24" tall 1/8" dowels like you suggest, and then some crafting wire to slide up and down with a multi-loop circle as a "platform" to avoid wobble with a mini clothespin to hold elevation and rest the mini weight on, very similar to your idea.

nedz
2013-09-03, 10:57 PM
I bought some warhammer flying bases some years ago which solved this problem. They came with round transparent bases and transparent sprues. I found I could fit a second base on top of the sprue giving me a suitable stand.

It was a few years ago and I'm not sure if they still make them; though whilst I haven't been inside a GW shop for many years their range is quite static. They were fairly inexpensive.

Ed: Small Flying bases (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat470008a&rootCatGameStyle=paints-tools&_requestid=1001999) — about half way down.

Bulhakov
2013-09-04, 07:53 AM
My first thought: Plexiglas tubes and small sheets + super-glue or hot glue ?

For adjustable height you could put two tubes of different diameters in each other and create a "piston", drill evenly spaced holes along the outside tube and use a small screw/stopper to adjust how far the top tube falls into the bottom tube.

BlckDv
2013-09-04, 10:22 AM
That's pretty clever Bulhakov.

I might have to see if I can find some small acrylic or similar plastic tubes/posts. I know someone with a drill press I could borrow to punch holes at 1" intervals, then have a peg with an attached platform and slot it at the right height, it could even support multiple minis above each other. Trickiest part will be attaching it to the base well enough to be stable with weight at altitude. While gluing it to a small clear base is attractive, I may still have to go with a thicker base with a hole for stability.

Bulhakov
2013-09-04, 02:54 PM
Your idea is even better - one tube with attachable platform(s).

As for stability, I suggest just putting something heavy at the bottom of the tube, e.g. coins, washers or rolled up lead tape, or making the bottom of the stand out of a heavier material, e.g. a hockey puck.