PDA

View Full Version : please don't be skype-centric

Illiander
2006-12-20, 11:04 PM
there are other VoIP clients out there

I just took a look at the profile, to see what I could customise, and I spotted the standard msn, aim, yahoo names, icq, and SKYPE:smallfurious:(I don't like skype), just mentioning, that for consistency, you should at least include a space for other VoIP clients (I use Wengo, cos it's free software (yes, I'm one of those strange people who runs GNU+Linux on their home (playtime) desktop)).

If anyone's interested, take a look at http://www.wengophone.com for an alternative to skype, their next version will (supposedly, this is a free software project, but it's high in the to-do list) be able to connect to any VoIP service that uses the standard protocols, so you can choose who you pay (unlike skype, who use a home-brew protocol, and wants to keep you paying them). If they do it really well, you'll be able to talk across service providers (I'm not involved in the development yet, planning on downloading the source and having a look when I get time:smallsmile:).

Rawhide
2006-12-20, 11:42 PM
You can direct all complaints at the lack of other profile options for instant messaging clients to Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of the vBulletin message board software.

Samiam303
2006-12-21, 12:14 AM
So wait, Rawhide...

You're saying that you and Rawbear didn't just get together and write the entire board from scratch, simply because you love us so much? :eek: :wink:

Illiander
2006-12-21, 02:32 AM
fair enough, I thought it might be customisable, but if it's not, then it's not. (And if you (the user) can't customise it, I dout I'll waste my time talking to the people who stop you from customising it)