PDA

View Full Version : Moduling into RHoD help

hennasmith
2013-09-03, 04:07 PM
I've volunteered to run a group through a few modules to give our regular DM a break. I'm really interested in running RHoD since it's one (of very few) our DM hasn't done before. I've read on here that Scourge of the Howling Horde, followed by The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde is a good way to lead up to RHoD.

I'll have a Cleric, Rogue, two Fighters, Druid, and Sorcerer.

Will increasing numbers of opponents be sufficient to provide a challenge? And also, if it looks like they'll hit level six before we start RHoD, what should I do? I don't want them to be overpowered going into it...

Sorry if these are really basic DM'ing questions, but I just don't want to screw this up for everyone.

Axinian
2013-09-03, 04:17 PM
I've volunteered to run a group through a few modules to give our regular DM a break. I'm really interested in running RHoD since it's one (of very few) our DM hasn't done before. I've read on here that Scourge of the Howling Horde, followed by The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde is a good way to lead up to RHoD.

Will increasing numbers of opponents be sufficient to provide a challenge? And also, if it looks like they'll hit level six before we start RHoD, what should I do? I don't want them to be overpowered going into it...

Sorry if these are really basic DM'ing questions, but I just don't want to screw this up for everyone.

With 6 characters, 3 of them being casters, you'll have to do more than just up the number of enemies.

I would go into detail on that, but Saintheart's Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171284) for the adventure already has.

Maginomicon
2013-09-03, 04:34 PM
Whatever you do, don't let the psychic chuck the final dungeon into the sun.

... because that's what happened when I played through it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298547).

Big Fau
2013-09-04, 07:18 AM
Increasing the number of opponents only provokes AoEs, and if the party is optimized those mooks will never be an issue (Glitterdust, Grease, Web). Minor optimization tactics are what you need; the opening encounter of RHoD consists of a large number of mooks, but all of them are Hobgoblin Warriors (save for the mages). Reselect the mages' spell lists, and change the Warriors into Fighter (and give them feats like Martial Study and Combat Reflexes).

I've been running SGoS with the intent of leading it into RHoD, so if you'd like I can give you some of my encounter notes and revisions. I'd have to change them since I use a ton of house rules, but those notes should help out a little.

ksbsnowowl
2013-09-04, 04:39 PM

Will increasing numbers of opponents be sufficient to provide a challenge? And also, if it looks like they'll hit level six before we start RHoD, what should I do?

Granted, I've never run, played, or read either of Scourge of the Howling Horde or The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde, so have no idea what level ranges they are designed for. However, having six players, won't that lessen the XP earnings per player, and thus keep them from leveling to 6th too soon?