PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Deck o Many Things...

Winds of Nagual
2013-09-03, 09:10 PM
Can you Wish cards out of it?

Galvin
2013-09-03, 09:12 PM
Do you mean like creating the individual card? Or just wishing to draw a particular card?

If it's the former, then no. A Deck of Many Things is an artifact, and a Wish spell cannot create an artifact.

If it's the latter, than it's DMs discretion.

Winds of Nagual
2013-09-03, 09:14 PM
I'm thinking - I Wish there to be no Void Card in this deck. Repeat on other cards throughout the deck. I know - a 'bit' cheesy. Or a lot...

geekintheground
2013-09-03, 09:16 PM
since thats not on the list of things wish does, its up to the DM on how to handle it. (personally, i would take the deck away. no more void card:smallwink:)

Mikeavelli
2013-09-03, 09:17 PM
That would fall into the 'Wishing for something that exceeds the standard power of a wish spell' - Which is the DM's option. You would either get a lesser version of what you wish for, or it would go badly, or it simply wouldn't work, or your DM would allow it to occur. It depends completely on their whim, there is no official answer.

that said, if a Player in my game wished such a thing to occur, I would simply have the entire deck disappear. There are no more void cards in that particular deck, because it's gone.

Galvin
2013-09-03, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking - I Wish there to be no Void Card in this deck. Repeat on other cards throughout the deck. I know - a 'bit' cheesy. Or a lot...

Ohhh....

Well I would say... no. Like I said above, a Deck of Many Things is an artifact, thus it's magic is basically epic magic. Though you could argue that it is a CL 20 item, thus it is not epic magic, though I would rule that since it is an artifact, you cannot alter it with non epic magic.

Rubik
2013-09-03, 09:30 PM
It would be easier (and far cheaper) to place the deck in your Heward's handy haversack and specify which cards you want to draw (as per the haversack description).

Psyren
2013-09-03, 09:59 PM
It would be easier (and far cheaper) to place the deck in your Heward's handy haversack and specify which cards you want to draw (as per the haversack description).

If you're going by strict RAW though, the actual item is the entire deck. You couldn't draw individual cards that way because the individual cards don't exist separately from the deck, any more than you could find a specific page from a Book of Infinite Spells lying around.

Ionizer
2013-09-03, 10:36 PM
Augury, Divination, or Contact Other Plane may allow you to draw cards from the deck more safely. Especially since the answers they give may not be entirely helpful, it might be easier for a DM to agree with divination than you simply wishing the bad things away

Krobar
2013-09-03, 10:55 PM
I would take the deck away. If you don't take the risks you can't have the rewards.

nedz
2013-09-03, 11:43 PM

The void card appears before you. It is no longer in the deck because you've just drawn it. Well done.

Lightlawbliss
2013-09-04, 12:37 AM
The void card appears before you. It is no longer in the deck because you've just drawn it. Well done.

That's even better then the whole deck gone idea.