PDA

View Full Version : Battle Alchemist: 3.5 Base Class [WIP]

Phylion
2013-09-03, 09:36 PM
As a brief introduction, my Username, as you can plainly see, is Phylion and I am new to this forum, but eager to get started in the homebrew community. This is the first of several posts I plan to make concerning the class that I am presently designing (and playing).

Battle Alchemist:

A little bit of this and a little bit of that and the potion is complete, perfectly duplicating the effects of the spell that the group wizard cast the other day. This seems easy, and many shame the art for its lack of hand waving and word uttering, but it is just as much magic as any other. The Battle Alchemist still had to learn his art, carefully cataloging every component to determine its individual effect and memorizing and occasionally tinkering with the recipes to create through science what others see as magic.

Adventures:

Battle Alchemists operate at a level comparable to wizards. They spend hours meticulously planning every detail, each event viewed as a component to an overall goal and arranged in proper order. Battle Alchemists constantly hunger for more knowledge and methods of preparation, each one producing different bonus effects within the Alchemist.

Characteristics:

Battle Alchemists are a knowledge engine, taking arcane knowledge and converting it into useful tools for combat, though their prowess is restricted to themselves, as each individual Battle Alchemist prepares the same spell in different ways, creating individuality and debate over the effectiveness of different recipes. They create powerful brews to enhance their magical and physical capabilities. Additionally, they are masters of crafting what they view as "mundane" items such as Alchemist's Fire.

Alignment:

Battle Alchemists tend toward neutrality on the Law/Chaos axis, as they need a healthy mix of both Lawful aspects to influence their intense research, but also Chaotic aspects to convince themselves to consume their own volatile brews. However, they can range from good alchemists that bring antidotes and powerful medicine to those in need to evil alchemists that spread plague and manipulate people to their own ends.

Religion:

Battle Alchemists shun all religion, believing that followers overemphasize the divinity and abstract nature of their deities, whereas Battle Alchemists acknowledge the power of deities, but refer to them as super powerful beings that have earned their power and now garner the devotion of millions.

Background:

Battle Alchemists pride themselves on their close-knit communities that promote debate and introduction of new ideas, products, and recipes. They often operate extensive guilds where applicable to control the flow of quality Alchemical substances.

Races:

Mostly gnomes, due to the gnome affinity toward alchemy. Quite a few humans as well, as humans are naturally intrigued by any sort of magic or supernatural phenomenon. Very few elves due to the elven reverence for magic as an art, whereas Battle Alchemists reduce it to a science. Hardly any dwarves, half-orcs, half-elves, and other races do to their less magical feal and more warrior/ranger bent.

Note: This is the introductory portion of the post concerning the boldface categories, as listed by the PH in all class descriptions. I plan to release the rest of the material in segments as I finish it. Please leave feedback into what you feel is positive/negative about the idea thematically. Thanks.

Amnoriath
2013-09-03, 10:43 PM
You ought to label it with WIP(work in progress) otherwise people will glance over it.

Phylion
2013-09-04, 08:27 PM
Here is the table for the Battle Alchemist. Descriptions of the first couple of abilities coming soon.

Table: The Battle Alchemist

Level; BAB; Fort Save; Ref Save; Will Save; Special
1st; 0; 0; 0; 2; Improved Brew Potion, Improved Alchemy
2nd; 1; 0; 0; 3;
3rd; 2; 1; 1; 3; Instant Potion 1/day
4th; 3; 1; 1; 4; Alchemical Feat
5th; 3; 1; 1; 4; Metabrewing Feat
6th; 4; 2; 2; 5; Instant Potion 2/day
7th; 5; 2; 2; 5; Alchemical Specialization
8th; 6; 2; 2; 6; Alchemical Feat
9th; 6; 3; 3; 6; Instant Potion 3/day
10th; 7; 3; 3; 7; Metabrewing Feat
11th; 8; 3; 3; 7;
12th; 9; 4; 4; 8; Instant Potion 4/day, Alchemical Feat
13th; 9; 4; 4; 8;
14th; 10; 4; 4; 9; Alchemical Specialization
15th; 11; 5; 5; 9; Instant Potion 5/day, Metabrewing Feat
16th; 12; 5; 5; 10; Alchemical Feat
17th; 12; 5; 5; 10;
18th; 13; 6; 6; 11; Instant Potion 6/day
19th; 14; 6; 6; 11;
20th; 15; 6; 6; 12; Alchemical Feat, Metabrewing Feat

Xaotiq1
2013-09-04, 09:10 PM
Two things:

One: This thread is your friend: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205677
Table: The Battle Alchemist

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+0|+0|2|Improved Brew Potion, Improved Alchemy

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|

3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Instant Potion +1/day

4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Alchemical Feat

5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Metabrewing Feat

6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Instant Potion 2/day

7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Alchemical Specialization

8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Alchemical Feat

9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Instant Potion 3/day

10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Metabrewing Feat

11th|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|

12th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Instant Potion 4/day, Alchemical Feat

13th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|

14th|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|Alchemical Specialization

15th|+11+/6/+1|+5|+5|+9|Instant Potion 5/day, Metabrewing Feat

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Alchemical Feat

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|Instant Potion 6/day

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|

20th|++15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Alchemical Feat, Metabrewing Feat[/table]

Two: I really like the fluff for this; and can see great potential. I will recommend that you look at the following threads for inspiration; assuming you've not already done so: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist and http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528038/The_ALCHEMIST_Core_Class_V2_Eat_Your_Fullmetal_Hea rt_out..._Again!