PDA

View Full Version : Maid RPG

Ezeze
2013-09-04, 12:44 AM
I have a question about a Roleplaying Game I potentially want to run on the Giant in the Playground forums.

To give my question a little bit of context, there is a RPG called Maid based on the idea that players are Anime-Maids serving a Master or Mistress in their Mansion. Their purpose is to overcome whatever obstacles the GM throws in their path (suggestions from the book include dealing with an Unexploded Warhead found beneath the mansion, the sudden appearance of a Wizard's Tower on the mansion grounds, or a Zombie Apocalypse), while simultaneously performing a Maid's duties and garnering favor with their Master or Mistress ("favor" taking the place of XP).

Now the book comes with a warning that the content can get a little, uh, risque? I didn't see anything specific in the forum rules regarding things of that nature, and if I do end up running this game I don't plan on letting anything happen that couldn't happen in a PG13 movie, but I thought I should at least make a good-faith effort to get approval before I started recruiting for the game.

Does this sound like something that would cause problems on the forums, or is it okay?

SiuiS
2013-09-04, 02:55 AM
The forum rules do cover it, under language I believe; you want to limit anything you discuss on the forums to thiga that are acceptable to a 13 year old audience. If you think it is borderline, the default assumption is "not sure, don't do it".

RPs can have some leeway as long as they avoid being gratuitous (even pg 13 stories have romance implications), but that may not even be an unofficial rule, so much as people taking advantage of the post rate in that forum.

Also, which forum would it go in? Free-form? You could always PM the mods in that section of the site, and get more personalized feedback. :smallsmile:

Togath
2013-09-04, 03:26 AM
I believe Maid usually goes into the standard OOC/IC sections

happyturtle
2013-09-04, 04:03 AM
Any roleplaying game could get risqué, if the players and GM let it go in that direction. When that happens in the Freeform setting, players are expected to "pull the curtain" to imply that sex has taken place without actually roleplaying every caress.

From FFRP Central:
The curtain is employed when two characters become physically intimate. When two or more characters decide to have sex, the curtain falls to shield the eyes of the innocent from the festivities and to give some privacy for the participants. This is to both a) abide by the forum rules and b) to keep things relatively family friendly.

Mods have had to remind people in the past to pull the curtain early and not often, and this is possibly the issue that has caused the most mod interventions in this subforum. Remember, there are other roleplaying forums on the internet that are rated R (or X :smalleek:), but this is not one of them. Keep it clean, and remember we don't need to know where everyone's hands and lips are at all times.

Safe: "Romeo pulls Juliet into a kiss and the curtain falls."
Potentially Problematic: "Romeo kisses Juliet passionately, his hands reaching under her bodice and..." (foreplay goes on for numerous posts before the curtain falls)
Official Word of Mod here

(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13560794&postcount=5)

The Dark Fiddler
2013-09-04, 07:35 AM
There is nothing inherently inappropriate about Maid RPG, at least nothing more inherently inappropriate than any other game typically discussed and played here. D&D could be used to play out scenes of graphic violence or realistic crime discussions, both of which are against the rules, but there's dozens of games started every week without a problem.

As others have said, if you want to touch on sexual themes the rule is to keep it tasteful, fade to black, and not need to do so too often. That said, you don't need to make the game sexual at all. Some players have a maid fetish, some like to deal with sexual relationships in their games, but I've found that (the latter group at least) they are a minority.

If you don't want to touch on such themes, which would obviously be the easiest way of making sure you don't break the rules, then don't do it. If you do, keep it tasteful, and that's about all there is to it.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-09-04, 08:55 AM
It's hardly a stranger (https://www.google.com/search?q=maid+rpg+site%3Agiantitp.com&oq=maid+rpg+site%3Agiantitp.com) to this forum, too. :smallsmile:

Ezeze
2013-09-04, 10:58 AM
So it has been done before!

Cool. I'll poke around those threads a little and see how they handled it. Thank you, everyone! :smallsmile:

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-04, 11:38 AM
So it has been done before!Just keep it appropriate and err on the side of caution.

Cool. I'll poke around those threads a little and see how they handled it.That maybe be helpful. But beware that it isn't exactly reliable as those threads may have violated the Forum Rules and avoided detection. Its better to review the relevant rules yourself and apply them with an eye toward clear compliance and not toward how close one can run up to the line. (Not that that's what you intended, of course, just that in a general sense, erring on the side of caution is preferable.)

Sheriff: Answered and locked. Thanks all.