PDA

View Full Version : Coup De Grace - Draining Touch

Stabbald
2013-09-04, 04:01 AM
Can a ghost coup de grace with a draining touch? If it *can* does the coup de grace'd opponent need to make a DC10 fort save to avoid dying?

TuggyNE
2013-09-04, 04:31 AM
Can a ghost coup de grace with a draining touch?

I think so. It's effectively a melee weapon (I believe; assuming natural weapons count here), and it does do damage, albeit not HP damage.

If it *can* does the coup de grace'd opponent need to make a DC10 fort save to avoid dying?

No, it would be a save at DC 10+ability damage dealt. It doesn't specify HP damage, so if it works at all, it works off the ability damage.

Stabbald
2013-09-04, 05:57 AM
I think so. It's effectively a melee weapon (I believe; assuming natural weapons count here), and it does do damage, albeit not HP damage.

Does a touch attack count as attack with a natural weapon? I'm guessing it does as you can coup de grace with a Shocking Grasp right?

No, it would be a save at DC 10+ability damage dealt. It doesn't specify HP damage, so if it works at all, it works off the ability damage.

Technically it's drain, not damage, but this is certainly not something I had considered.

Vaz
2013-09-04, 06:40 AM
An attack is one in which a dice is rolled to which you add your attack bonuses and try to beat the nominal AC.

Touch attack is the definition of what that nominal AC is, and any addditional mechanics. Unless it states that Touch Attacks cannot be used as CGD's, you're fine.

Psyren
2013-09-04, 09:50 AM
Isn't there a line somewhere (Rules Compendium?) that states you need to do lethal damage to CdG? I'm AFB so can't check.

Korahir
2013-09-04, 09:56 AM
Isn't there a line somewhere (Rules Compendium?) that states you need to do lethal damage to CdG? I'm AFB so can't check.

Not in the helpless section. All you need is a melee weapon (or bow, crossbow).

TuggyNE
2013-09-04, 08:10 PM

Check Regeneration; "An attack that can cause instant death only threatens the creature with death if it is delivered by weapons that deal it lethal damage." Should of course be general for all creatures, but OH WELL.

Slipperychicken
2013-09-04, 08:47 PM
Check Regeneration; "An attack that can cause instant death only threatens the creature with death if it is delivered by weapons that deal it lethal damage." Should of course be general for all creatures, but OH WELL.

Ehh. You can simply apply a dose of Trollbane. That lets the attack ignore regeneration, and you don't even need to worry about hitting yourself with it (because it functions like an injury poison, and all it does is let a single attack ignore regeneration).

TuggyNE
2013-09-05, 01:47 AM
Ehh. You can simply apply a dose of Trollbane. That lets the attack ignore regeneration, and you don't even need to worry about hitting yourself with it (because it functions like an injury poison, and all it does is let a single attack ignore regeneration).

Context here isn't about a creature with regeneration, but about CDG without lethal HP damage.