PDA

View Full Version : Destroying and Raising an undead

Souhiro
2013-09-04, 08:29 AM
I figured this while thinking about Durkon and "Durkula".

A Character is Lvl-5, and has 15000XP. Then he gets transformed into a Vampire, so he gets a ton of new powers, some weakness, and has to endure Level Adjustment: He now "is" Lvl-13, and need to have 315,000XP to get to class Lvl-6.

The Character is still loyal to his friends and his cause, and goes into some adventures with his party ("Are you evil?" "Not more than Belkar") but altough he get XP for his deeds, he don't level at the same rate as his teammates. Finally our vampire friend is finally destroyed in a battle.

So, if the Cleric is able to raise him, he would get back as the base creature. Should the resurrected character reajust his level, if he earned enough XP to level up during his time as a vampire?

Sorry for my awful gramar. Yo hablo español :p

Ashtagon
2013-09-04, 08:43 AM
Level Loss

A character who loses a level instantly loses one Hit Die. The character’s base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, and special class abilities are now reduced to the new, lower level. Likewise, the character loses any ability score gain, skill ranks, and any feat associated with the level (if applicable). If the exact ability score or skill ranks increased from a level now lost is unknown (or the player has forgotten), lose 1 point from the highest ability score or ranks from the highest-ranked skills. If a familiar or companion creature has abilities tied to a character who has lost a level, the creature’s abilities are adjusted to fit the character’s new level.

The victim’s experience point total is immediately set to the midpoint of the previous level.

If raise dead is used, he suffers level loss, so it looks like that excess XP is all lost, and then some.

Slipperychicken
2013-09-04, 08:45 AM
It would be fair to keep track of Count Durkula's XP total, then once he gets rezzed, adjust him to whatever level that total indicates.

Souhiro
2013-09-04, 09:09 AM
If raise dead is used, he suffers level loss, so it looks like that excess XP is all lost, and then some.

I was meant to use True Resurrection, some kind of "No XP Lost at all". Do you think that should The Sacred Order of Stick kill some dragons, and get some levels, Durkon would gain those levels if he get resurrected someday?

===

Feel free to correct my afwul gramar and rub it on my face. It's the only way to learn :p

Mastikator
2013-09-04, 01:33 PM
AFAIK the issue of undead player characters gaining levels while undead and retaining or losing them upon being resurrected is not covered in the rules. It's up to the DM to arbitrate.
If I were DM I'd rule that a resurrected character is resurrected into the level (and alignment) he had when he was last alive. I'm not even sure the character should remain a PC. If a PC becomes a vampire I'd make it into an NPC.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-05, 05:55 PM
IMO the true character does not experience the things that the undead mockery posing as him does. His soul is trapped within, but it is not in control and I would say it is not even aware.