PDA

View Full Version : Best +1 level metamagic enhacement for a Confusion spell?

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-09-04, 08:58 AM
What's the best +1 level metamagic feat for a Confusion spell? Other than Heighten?

If I make Confusion my Arcane Thesis spell, what's then the best +2 enhacement metamagic feat?

Thanks in advance!

Segev
2013-09-04, 09:20 AM
If it's your Arcane Thesis spell, Still and Heighten are both free, and allow you then to really befuddle people while being all innocent-seeming.

A single +1 metamagic, though...

Extending it can't hurt.

As for +2s...

Empower makes all variable, numeric effects get +50% to them. If the DM allows this to apply to the %ile roll to see what they do, it could push the numbers away from "attack you" and "act normally." But that's arguable.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-09-04, 09:24 AM
If it's your Arcane Thesis spell, Still and Heighten are both free, and allow you then to really befuddle people while being all innocent-seeming.

A single +1 metamagic, though...

Extending it can't hurt.

As for +2s...

Empower makes all variable, numeric effects get +50% to them. If the DM allows this to apply to the %ile roll to see what they do, it could push the numbers away from "attack you" and "act normally." But that's arguable.

And a +50% would mean a total +50% or just the half of what you get?

Lapak
2013-09-04, 09:39 AM
Empower makes all variable, numeric effects get +50% to them. If the DM allows this to apply to the %ile roll to see what they do, it could push the numbers away from "attack you" and "act normally." But that's arguable.It isn't arguable, it's just wrong. The metamagic requires a numeric effect (like 10d6 damage) and none of the effects are numeric. The d% table just determines which effect you get, it isn't an effect itself.

Segev
2013-09-04, 09:40 AM
Ah well, fair enough. I knew it was a stretch, at best.

nedz
2013-09-04, 10:46 AM
Sculpt Spell is good for all AoEs

TuggyNE
2013-09-04, 08:04 PM

AT won't work on Heighten, IIRC. Still is fine though.

eggynack
2013-09-04, 08:18 PM
You recall correctly indeed. "When you apply any metamagic feats other than Heighten Spell to that spell, the enhanced spell uses up a spell slot one level lower than normal." (PHB II, 75)

Morcleon
2013-09-04, 08:50 PM
Could get Arcane Thesis, Easy Metamagic, Practical Metamagic, and then tack on Irresistible Spell for a confusion spell without a save. :smallcool:

Fax Celestis
2013-09-04, 09:19 PM
Repeat or Chain could be nice, though Chain is a +3. Repeat seems sort of mediocre except for the part where it forces a second save on a target that's failed.

Echoing is +3, but it means that you basically get two-for-one casting on confusion, since you'll get it back later but at -4 CL (which really doesn't matter on confusion). Extend is always a good option. Fortify gives you +2 to beat SR for every slot you increase the level by and doesn't have the pesky "doesn't work with Arcane Thesis" text that Heighten does.

kaminiwa
2013-09-04, 09:45 PM
Disguise Spell is fun if you're trying to avoid notice. I use it with Detect Thoughts all the time, but I'm not playing a terribly Good-aligned character :smallwink:

Khedrac
2013-09-05, 06:43 AM
Repeat or Chain could be nice, though Chain is a +3. Repeat seems sort of mediocre except for the part where it forces a second save on a target that's failed.
Repeat would be a mistake - and a big one. If they fail the first save the second save could easily be interpreted as an attack from you (which it is) and remove any chance of them doing anything other than attacking you...

Segev
2013-09-05, 07:42 AM

gah. I meant "Still and Silent." I have no idea how I wrote "Heighten."

Lostbutseeking
2013-09-05, 07:47 AM
Could get Arcane Thesis, Easy Metamagic, Practical Metamagic, and then tack on Irresistible Spell for a confusion spell without a save. :smallcool:

Irresistible spell got errated to be +10 DC instead of no save.

Morcleon
2013-09-05, 10:10 PM
Irresistible spell got errated to be +10 DC instead of no save.

Really? That's a shame... :smalltongue:

Could just ignore the errata... >.>