PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition XVIII Voting Thread

Tanuki Tales
2013-09-04, 10:27 AM
{table=head]Entry|Author|1st Place|2nd Place|3rd Place|Total|MLTSP Votes|MUE Votes

Turtledove (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15736372&postcount=8)|Razanir|0|0|2|2|1|1

The Childhood Companion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15741708&postcount=9)|Samburke|35|0|0|35|1|0

Imaginary Friend (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15743078&postcount=10)|malonkey1|0|0|1|1|1|0

Cootie Catcher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15749024&postcount=11) Infections (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15750588&postcount=12)|caledscratcher|7|6|2|15|0|3

Big Bad Creature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15768649&postcount=14)|gr8artist|0|9|1|10|3|0

Wild Child (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15834052&postcount=15)|3WhiteFox3|0|3|0|3|0|2
[/table]

Welcome one and all to the Voting thread for the eighteenth Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition! We have six wonderful entries for you to peruse over and only one will end up taking home the gold!

Now, the way the voting for this competition works is as follows:

You receive five votes to cast.
The first three votes are to be given to the entries that you believe should come in first, second and third place respectively. First place votes are worth seven points, second place three points and third place one point each. Keep in mind that such choices should go to the entries that you believe fit most closely to the given concept of the contest and not just the entries you like the most.
The fourth vote is to be given to the entry that you believe is "Most Likely to See Play". This vote is cast for the entry that you could see yourself allowing as a DM or you could see yourself wanting to and being allowed to play at an actual game session by your DM.
The fifth vote is to be given to the entry that you believe is the "Most Unique". This vote is cast for the entry that you least expected to see made for this competition and that stands out the most compared to it's peers.
You may apply all types of votes to the same entry (but you of course cannot select the same entry for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place), but doing this does not better the chances of that entry winning anymore than if you selected three separate entries.
Once you make your vote, that's final. You can not take it back or change it. The first vote I see and tally on the scoreboard is how it will be until the end of the voting period.
Entrants are allowed to vote and can vote for their own entries if they so wish.
Please give reasoning for why you selected an entry as the recipient of any of your votes.
Please Bold your choice for each vote.
In the case of any ties I will cast the tiebreaker vote.

The voting will remain open through September 17th and the winners will be declared September 18th.

SamBurke
2013-09-04, 12:06 PM
1st: The Cootie Catcher
Unfinished, but with some fairly interesting abilities.

2nd: The Wild Child
This was the only entry this time around that I felt had solid, professional-looking formatting. You get second just from presentation, AND you had a solid/interesting idea on top of it.

3rd: The Big Bad Creature
A classic, and it's done pretty well!

Most Likely to See Play: Big Bad Creature
Because it's pretty easy to add into a game, I think it'll see play.

Most Unique:
Wild Child. We need more Psionics!

3WhiteFox3
2013-09-04, 01:20 PM
1st: The Childhood Companion - Well designed, expertly formatted, full to the brim with creativity and it's very versatile, applicable to many classes. Lots of flavorful abilities to choose from and it's well balanced.

2nd: Big Bad Creature - A great re-imagining of a classic monster archetype. Applicable to many creatures, it works well to make a sinister predatory monster as the climatic showdown in any sort of evil forest.

3rd: Cootie Catcher - Unique with a very flavorful concept executed well. The only downside is that it's unfinished with only 2 playable infections. Besides that, it's a fun concept that really ties in childish concepts with a more adult mindset.

Most Unique Entry - I'll give this to the Cootie Catcher. A class that uses the infectious powers of aberrations all the while referencing a well-known childish imaginary disease and making it pretty terrifying is absolutely different from everything else I see here.

Most Likely to See Play - The Childhood Companion. It's just so versatile and easy to apply to a variety of classes that it just begs you to use it. There are so many concepts that can be realized with this archetype that I really want to play at least one of them.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-09-06, 09:03 AM
1st: Childhood Companion - This is really cool and looks like it would be fun to play. While I think it should have been presented as a animal companion/eidolon archetype instead of an alteration to a base class, that doesn't mean it's not my favorite overall.

2nd: Cootie Catcher - This one has the most potential. If it had three or four more infections, it probably would have been first by far.

3rd: Imaginary Friend - I wasn't quite so sure about it until I read Squiddums, but yeah, I like this a fair bit.

MLTSP: Big Bad Creature - It's the one that could fit in thematically with a large number of campaigns and as such is the easiest to use.

MUE: Wild Child - While I didn't like the execution of this, the idea for it is well outside something I was expecting.

gr8artist
2013-09-06, 04:06 PM
It seems that several of our entries are less along the lines of fables and fairy-tales than I was expecting.
1st - Childhood Companion. One of the two submissions regarding imaginary friends and companions, a common childhood trope. But you did a great job with its abilities, and going out of your way to make it applicable to nearly any class is impressive. (I would like to see someone roll one up with the Geneticist PrC I made a while back)
2nd - Cootie Catcher. Its strange and interesting, probably underpowered, but a fun attempt at playground logic made serious.
3rd - Turtledove. Would possibly have placed higher if it was better fleshed out. But it's probably one of the ones most in-line with the fairy-tale concept.
Many of the submissions had themes and ideas that quickly impressed upon you what they brought to the game. Strange, foreign magics (Cootie Catcher) or capricious, bloodthirsty self-defense (Turtledove). To me, the Imaginary Friend didn't do this. While interesting, and fun to think about, I had trouble picturing how I'd use it in a game, or what impact it would have if I did.
The Wild Child was interesting, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of changes being made. Other archetypes drastically change the way a class performs, while yours seems to be a few balanced, slight adjustments to the standard class, and could almost be reduced down to a short feat chain. I would have liked to see more from it.
And I decided not to vote for myself.
MUE - The Cootie Catcher. Everything about that class is utterly unique and strange. I don't care much for it personally, but I got to give you props for creativity.
MLTSP - I have to say the Turtledove. It needs a little more work done to it, finishing and fleshing, but it's exactly the type of encounter my group loves to hate fighting against.

Tanuki Tales
2013-09-07, 06:14 PM
Votes tallied to here.

Tanuki Tales
2013-09-13, 12:19 PM
Giving this a bump and please vote folks!

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-09-16, 10:33 AM
1st:Childhood Companion
2nd:Big Bad _____
3rd: Cootie Catcher
MLTSP: Big Bad ____
MUE: Turtledove

Razanir
2013-09-16, 02:08 PM
1st Childhood Companion– It's well executed and well made.
2nd Big Bad Template– Nothing too flashy, but I love the theme
3rd Turtledove– I'll admit. I didn't flesh it out very well. But, I feel I did a decent job on the crunch, and it's a more interesting entry to me than some of the other ones.

MLTSP Imaginary Friend– For some odd reason, it reminds me of Doctor Who... Just that whole concept of a villain seeming a whole lot more friendly and docile than it really is. But yeah. Squiddums especially could see play.

MUE Cootie Catcher– It's a nice class and all, but I really didn't expect that interpretation. I think it's the bit about blending cooties as the thing girls have AND cootie catchers as fortunetellers. It just seemed odd to me from the beginning. Not bad, just different. Hence, why it's getting my MUE vote.

Tanuki Tales
2013-09-23, 07:37 PM
Voting is closed and congratulations to those who won!

1st Place - The Childhood Companion

2nd Place - Cootie Catcher

3rd Place - Big Bad Creature

Runner Up - Wild Child

Most Likely to See Play - Big Bad Creature
Most Unique Entry - Cootie Catcher
Judge's Choice - Big Bad Creature