PDA

View Full Version : First game tomorrow... any advise?

Darazel
2006-12-21, 08:12 AM
Greetings friendly board-people.

My favorite gaming-store (i'm from germany) finally got my copy of this game I'm so desperatly waiting for. But now the time has come, and nothing can stop us to start playing it tomorrow night *muhaha*.

So, it would be very nice of you guys to give me some advice on this. I think we'll be playing with 3 or 4 players. What I need to know:

- Are there any obvious mistakes in the rulebook we should correct before starting?

- Are there any houserules you strongly recommend to use?

To make things clear: I will read all the rules carefully before playing, but I often experienced major mistakes in first prints, and sometimes rules just don't play as good as they seemed while creating them.

So, any input on this?

Sorry for my probably rather bad english, I'll try to improve it :smallwink:

Thank you for any replies.

Arcade
2006-12-21, 10:32 AM
Try to avoid the "invincible Xykon" situation. The unofficialy ruling for Supprt: Horde right now is that Horde monsters don't count towards the battle size, instead of saying that they add to the battle size. This is really important when you have more than one monster with support horde in the same monster stack.

Play the short game and when it says 3-4 hours, it means it.

Print out the latest FAQ, just in case.

Some commonly misplayed rules which really affect the game:
- New mosnters are only triggered if you stop in a room, not if you pass through it
- You do not have to stop in a room unless it is newly discovered (or the pitch black room)
- Only one ranged attack per turn and you cannot move if you do a range attack
- Area effect attacks cannot be used on players
- NPCs can only be given loot if there is no other player besides yourself who drools over it.
- Do not roll dice for monsters when attacking or defending. Only player characters roll dice.

apegamer
2006-12-21, 11:07 AM
Also, the easiest characters to play are (listed in order of increasing difficulty)

Roy
Haley
Durkon
Vaarsuvius
Belkar
Elan

Depending on the number of players you have, you should probably choose characters from the top of the list for your first game.

Darazel
2006-12-21, 01:54 PM
Thank you a lot for the input so far. I will follow your guidlines and hope things will go smoothly tomorrow... if not I will for sure return for some more help :smallwink:

Darazel
2006-12-23, 06:50 AM
So... first session is done. I have to say that this is a really great game, the humor is easy to understand even for non-gamers and non-readers of the comic (we had two of this sort yesterday), but naturally even more hilarious for fans of OotS.

We ended up playing with 5 people (unfortunatley, two of them had to leave early, but we just discarded their loot and battlehand and used them as NPCs for the rest of the game).

We followed your advice playing the short game... since we needed more than 3 hours, thank you for that hint :smallsmile:

Finally, we could defeat xycon very fast, due to the lack of goblins and other undead in his lair at this time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

To end my totally not relevant post: Really, really great game, thank you for the advice and see you later at this board (as I will for sure show up sometimes).

Oh, and the short-rules/comic ist just fantastic. Would have bought it without the game at all :smallbiggrin:. Well... maybe not for the same price :smallwink: