PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing.

Dr Mushroom
2013-09-04, 02:32 PM
Quite simply, I need to know where in the PHB it details multiclassing. I have looked up and down the feats page, but I simply can't find it. A page number would be nice.

obryn
2013-09-04, 02:49 PM
Quite simply, I need to know where in the PHB it details multiclassing. I have looked up and down the feats page, but I simply can't find it. A page number would be nice.
In the PHB, page 208.

-O

Dr Mushroom
2013-09-04, 02:52 PM
Ta very much.

BlckDv
2013-09-04, 02:56 PM
Do remember that Multiclassing in 4e is more like getting a minor in college than being equally trained in two fields. Unless you invest a lot of feats you basically gain a power or class feature of another class, a new skill that fits the other class theme, and the ability to take feats, PPs, etc. that have that class as a prereq.

Also, only bards or PCs with specific backgrounds pre-errata can take more than one type of Multiclass feat. For some odd reason the designers used this limit for several other feats, so that for example special training with the garrote counts as your one Multiclass.

is_Wayside
2013-09-04, 03:39 PM
Do remember that Multiclassing in 4e is more like getting a minor in college than being equally trained in two fields.

I've never heard this so simply and elegantly put.

VeliciaL
2013-09-04, 05:12 PM
Do remember that Multiclassing in 4e is more like getting a minor in college than being equally trained in two fields

Does that make Hybriding a double major? :smalltongue:

Dimers
2013-09-04, 07:40 PM
Does that make Hybriding a double major? :smalltongue:

Yes, usually in English and Philosophy -- you're not cut out for *any* job after that. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2013-09-04, 08:33 PM
It's trying to double-major without taking any extra credit-hours over a normal degree. (That is, it doesn't work unless you get a lot of overlap/synergy, such as Swordmage|Wizard)

is_Wayside
2013-09-04, 10:48 PM
It's trying to double-major without taking any extra credit-hours over a normal degree. (That is, it doesn't work unless you get a lot of overlap/synergy, such as Swordmage|Wizard)

Tell me about it - I'm trying a Cleric|Executioner just to see if it can be done. :)

Tegu8788
2013-09-04, 10:50 PM
Solinnor's Hammer is the trick there, use poisons instead of daily powers, get Battle Cleric Lore, and focus on Wis powers. Not the most effective, but its functional as a damage focused Cleric.

Rakaydos
2013-09-04, 11:55 PM
I'm working up a couple unusual hybrids myself- a Swordmage Artificer and a Seeker Warden

ghost_warlock
2013-09-05, 12:00 AM
Paladin|Warlock or don't bother. :smalltongue:

is_Wayside
2013-09-05, 12:32 AM
I'm working up a couple unusual hybrids myself- a Swordmage Artificer and a Seeker Warden

SM|Arty isn't bad. Seeker|Warden is pretty interesting, though. But I could see it working if you don't end up with MAD.

Damon_Tor
2013-09-05, 01:55 AM
Some hybrids can be stronger than the sum of their parts. Most prevalent in my mind is the Fighter/Ranger. Use Hybrid Talent to get Tempest Technique, and bam, you're dealing as much damage per hit as the average bastardsword dual-wielding ranger, but with +1 to your attack rolls and you're doing it with shortswords (or later, katars or a double-sword if you want to upgrade, or with a Monk Unarmed Strike if you really want to max out the cheese.)

ghost_warlock
2013-09-05, 01:56 AM
Some hybrids can be stronger than the sum of their parts. Most prevalent in my mind is the Fighter/Ranger. Use Hybrid Talent to get Tempest Technique, and bam, you're dealing as much damage per hit as the average bastardsword dual-wielding ranger, but with +1 to your attack rolls and you're doing it with shortswords (or later, katars or a double-sword if you want to upgrade, or with a Monk Unarmed Strike if you really want to max out the cheese.)

afaik, you won't get the tempest extra damage on Twin Strike, though, or any of your other ranger powers. Just like how a hybrid Ranger|Rogue can't get Sneak Attack damage on Twin Strike.

Edit: Not that it's really a solid indication of the RAW, but I just tried it and it works in the online character builder. Might be one of the double-dipping loopholes that fell through the errata cracks.

VeliciaL
2013-09-05, 02:56 AM
afaik, you won't get the tempest extra damage on Twin Strike, though, or any of your other ranger powers. Just like how a hybrid Ranger|Rogue can't get Sneak Attack damage on Twin Strike.

Edit: Not that it's really a solid indication of the RAW, but I just tried it and it works in the online character builder. Might be one of the double-dipping loopholes that fell through the errata cracks.

That's because Hybrid Talent gives Tempest Technique straight up, without restrictions. Unless it's been errata'd...

And checking that would be a nope, as far as I can tell.

Rakaydos
2013-09-06, 03:45 AM
SM|Arty isn't bad. Seeker|Warden is pretty interesting, though. But I could see it working if you don't end up with MAD.

You pretty much have to use Hybrid Talent for wisdom to AC, and you're limited to melee weapons that have the heavy thrown property, but mixing controller with defender, with Primal HP bonus canceling the controllers crappy HP, gives an interesting mix of battlefiel control.

Someone tried the STRaladin|Warden? I havnt run the numbers, but conceptually it seems like it would be a solid defender...