PDA

View Full Version : Cohort Suggestion

WebTiefling
2013-09-04, 03:27 PM
One of my group's latest stories is getting up to level 6, and I'm thinking about putting in some LEADERSHIP!

I'm running a cleric that does a bunch of group buffing (using DMM and some Nightsticks to get 3 Persistent spells each day) and sometimes goes wading in for some ass kicking himself with the right personal buffs.

I don't mind a bit of cheese, but I'm mainly looking for a cohort who can be mostly in the background. I don't want another character to keep track of in the middle of a fight, but I would like him to be of some use beyond being a Healstick or a Magic Item Maker.

I can probably wiggle some leniency from the DM if it's clever enough or is in any way related to fire. (my personal backstory has lots of Fire aspects)

Suggestions? Inspirations? Cool ideas?

A Bard or Druid for some group buffing to leave me available for self-buffing and personal combat is the only thing I've come up with.

Galvin
2013-09-04, 04:05 PM
Sounds like with your Divine Meta Magic and Nightsticks combo you are all set in the cheese department.

If you want a healstick, maybe a healer from the Miniature's Handbook or another Cleric/Radiant Servant combo. Druids make bad choices as primary healers because they get all their Cure X Wounds spells a level later than clerics do, they also get the Heal and Regenerate spells later on, they do have some other spell casting uses, though if your looking for a dedicated, one use only cohort, druid is not the right choice.

Even though a Bard is made out to be the ultimate buffing class, it isn't that good at that purpose. The Bardic Music stuff only allows for measly 1 or 2 bonuses. Get a cleric or transmuter with buff spells prepared.

Pesimismrocks
2013-09-04, 05:57 PM
An artificer crafting items is always a good idea. Like Q.

WebTiefling
2013-09-04, 09:42 PM
I'm not horribly abusing the Nightsticks. I only have two of them and I can only use them each once per day. But yes, we do have a bit of cheese floating around in this game. It's not stinky cheese, though! :-D

Thanks, I was hoping for something other than healsticks or item makers.

I already have a Warbeast Dire Tiger as a pet to be a combat monster for me, so I didn't know if anyone else had some clever ideas that might be something new.

I guess I can run another Cleric with some group buffing abilities. I was just hoping for something a bit more out of the ordinary.

Maybe I'll at least run him as a Vow of Poverty Cleric. I've never run one of them for myself and this might be a nice experiment.

John Longarrow
2013-09-04, 10:02 PM
WebTiefling,
Sounds like your party is a little gold heavy for you to have multiple nightsticks. They run 7,500 each and the average 6th level character should have about 13,000. I'm guessing this is a case of the party chipping in to get you party buffs?

As to cohorts, I'd build kinda as follows:
Gnome Half-Fey. Starting stats (32 point build) would be
Str 12 (-2 for Gnome) = 10, Dex 14 (+2 for 1/2 Fey) = 16, Con 14 (+2 gnome, -2 1/3 fey) = 14, Int 14, Wis 8 (+2 1/2 Fey) = 10, Cha 16 (+4 1/2 Fey) = 20 Gets DR, spells based on HD AND Charm Person at will, flight speed, low-light vision and DR.

Dragon Shaman 1 - Auras of Vigor, Resistance, and Energy Shield
Marshal 1 - Choose a aura that works for you.

After this, go up in Bard until you can take the one level dip in Mind Bender to get telepathy.

No, this character won't be much good in a fight. Their job is to get out of the way and help the party. Give them a belt of healing and a way to be invisible.

Remember, you cohort's maximum level is yours minus 2.