PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Wish Questions

prufock
2013-09-04, 05:08 PM
When using the Wish spell to create (or add powers to) a magic item, are you still limited by the item requirements - ie must you have the relevant feat, spells, skill points, caster level or whatever?

Second question, does Wish limit the CL of the magic item you create to your CL, or can it be higher than your CL (assuming you can afford the XP cost)? If there's no CL limit, could a creature with a Wish SLA create an item with an arbitrarily high CL?

mattie_p
2013-09-04, 05:15 PM
When using the Wish spell to create (or add powers to) a magic item, are you still limited by the item requirements - ie must you have the relevant feat, spells, skill points, caster level or whatever?

Second question, does Wish limit the CL of the magic item you create to your CL, or can it be higher than your CL (assuming you can afford the XP cost)? If there's no CL limit, could a creature with a Wish SLA create an item with an arbitrarily high CL?

I think the standard answer here is scroll of shapechange with a caster level of 1 trillion. Tippy would know.

Galvin
2013-09-04, 05:19 PM
My thoughts:

1) The wish spell description says when you create a magic item, you must pay double the normal XP cost, plus an additional 5000 XP. You need not pay anything else.

2) The wish spells says nothing along these lines, thus by RAW, there are no such limitations. Though it might be fair to limit it to your CL.

Jack_Simth
2013-09-04, 05:23 PM

The usual answer is 'no', because you're not actually crafting the item via feat; you're making it via spell.

Second question, does Wish limit the CL of the magic item you create to your CL, or can it be higher than your CL (assuming you can afford the XP cost)? If there's no CL limit, could a creature with a Wish SLA create an item with an arbitrarily high CL?Technically? No CL limit. You're just making an arbitrary magical item. So yes, planar bind that Glabrezou (binding Efreeti is suicide), force it to give you its monthly Wish, and yes, you could theoretically get a Caster Level 1.0*10^^486 scroll of Shapechange.

prufock
2013-09-04, 05:31 PM
Wouldn't a scroll of shapechange above CL 25 be kind of pointless?

Story
2013-09-04, 05:50 PM
Well it would be harder to dispel.

prufock
2013-09-04, 05:52 PM
Good point.

mattie_p
2013-09-04, 05:54 PM

Also, duration.

prufock
2013-09-04, 08:00 PM
Also, duration.
Well, once you're shapechanging into things with wish SLAs and wish-chaining, I wouldn't worry too much about duration!

Jack_Simth
2013-09-04, 08:53 PM
Well, once you're shapechanging into things with wish SLAs and wish-chaining, I wouldn't worry too much about duration!
Oh, you don't shapechange into something with Wish as an SLA. You don't get those from Shapechange. You shapechange into something with Wish as a Supernatural ability (like the Zodar).

prufock
2013-09-05, 07:49 AM
Oh, you don't shapechange into something with Wish as an SLA. You don't get those from Shapechange. You shapechange into something with Wish as a Supernatural ability (like the Zodar).

Ah, right you are. Now that I think of it, Zodar is the only one with which I'm familiar. Are there others with Su wish?

Psyren
2013-09-05, 10:09 AM
Note that Pathfinder removed the item creation ability from Wish. You can still do it, but it's outside the "safe set."

John Longarrow
2013-09-05, 10:16 AM
IIRC, the limit is you can get a magic item of upto 25,000gp value without it being a problem. If you go over 25,000gp, you start running into issues, such as the DM taking said item from its owner who is not looking for you. :smallbiggrin:

I'll see if I can find the reference tonight.

Alleran
2013-09-05, 10:24 AM
IIRC, the limit is you can get a magic item of upto 25,000gp value without it being a problem.
You can do that in 3.5e, yes, although not in PF (since magic item creation is outside the safe set, as Psyren noted).

John Longarrow
2013-09-05, 10:26 AM
Alleran,

I didn't include Path Finder because it had been referenced, but not by the original poster.

Andezzar
2013-09-05, 10:54 AM
IIRC, the limit is you can get a magic item of upto 25,000gp value without it being a problem. If you go over 25,000gp, you start running into issues, such as the DM taking said item from its owner who is not looking for you. :smallbiggrin:Nope, the gp limit is only for mundane items. There is no limit how expensive a magic item can be.

Jack_Simth
2013-09-05, 05:00 PM
Nope, the gp limit is only for mundane items. There is no limit how expensive a magic item can be.
... although there was in 3rd edition (15k), but then, that also didn't have the increased XP cost.

Andezzar
2013-09-05, 05:20 PM
Even if it didn't, any 3.5 material supersedes 3.0 material.