PDA

View Full Version : Learning non class skills

tardisBLUE
2013-09-04, 05:58 PM
I make a Warlock that is an ex-ruler and part of his back story is that he was a code breaker. Now as the warlock class does not have decipher script. This being said I have scoured all the books i have and i cannot see a way to learn or become trained in non class skills. I was wondering if anyone that knows of house rules or book rules that would allow this class to know decipher script.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-04, 06:23 PM
I make a Warlock that is an ex-ruler and part of his back story is that he was a code breaker. Now as the warlock class does not have decipher script. This being said I have scoured all the books i have and i cannot see a way to learn or become trained in non class skills. I was wondering if anyone that knows of house rules or book rules that would allow this class to know decipher script.

You can learn cross-class skills it just costs more skill points and has a lower max ranks.
The feat Able Learner available at 1st level only for humans and doppelgangers lets you purchase cross-class skills for 1 skill point per rank instead of 2.(max ranks remain the same).

Alex12
2013-09-04, 06:41 PM
My group has a house rule that taking the Skill Focus feat makes the relevant skill a class skill forever.

Also, there's a feat in Tome of Magic called Truename Training that makes Truespeech a class skill and applies retroactively (so if for some reason you put points in the skill before, they change from being half-ranks to full ranks). I don't see any reason you couldn't homebrew a similar feat for another skill.

Hunter Noventa
2013-09-04, 06:44 PM
My group has a house rule that taking the Skill Focus feat makes the relevant skill a class skill forever.

Outside of switching to Pathfinder, this is probably your best option.

captain fubar
2013-09-04, 06:50 PM
see cross class skills here
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/skillsSummary.htm
near the top of the page

this should do if you just want a few ranks for flavor
if you want to max out a skill not normaly on your class there are a wide varity of feets that will add a skill to your class list
able learner if your human for all skills, Education for all knoledge, or
Draconic Heritage for any one skill from a preset list are the better ones

Nettlekid
2013-09-04, 07:51 PM
The Human Paragon PrC can also take a skill and make it a class skill forever, and isn't too shabby because it's 2/3 casting progression, an extra feat, and +2 to any ability score.

Taking Martial Study will grant a martial discipline's skill as a class skill, but none of those are Decipher Script.

Taking the Apprentice feat grants two appropriate skills as class skills, and two skill points to spend. It also seems flavorful for your character, as you would likely have studied under another codebreaker for the skill. Of course, you can always end up Dark Chaos Feat Shuffling it out. If I was DMing that, I would make you remove the two skill points from whatever skills you put them in, but I wouldn't make you readjust the ranks in Decipher Script to reflect it no longer being a class skill, since it was when you allotted them.

Greenish
2013-09-04, 07:59 PM
Aereni Focus (PGtE) gives you any one skill as a class skill, and a bonus to it. Requires you to be an elf from Aerenal, though.

Hytheter
2013-09-04, 08:02 PM
there are a wide varity of feets that will add a skill to your class list
able learner if your human for all skills

Able Learner does not make them class skills, it only makes cross class skills less expensive. They still retain the cross class cap though, so you still can't have more than half (level+3).

Deaxsa
2013-09-04, 08:04 PM
ask the GM if you can rank it without such a great cost. i mean, i personally, play where all skill are class skill. that rule has yet to break the game.