PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Vintage RPG

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-09-04, 08:48 PM
What is your favourite tabletop RPG from the early days of the hobby (1974-1989)?

My favorite is probably Basic D&D. It will never be my go-to RPG, but it does the "fantasy Vietnam" thing very well. The rules are pretty fast and tight for the era, and the grittiness of the system contrasts with the lighthearted tone in a way that is somehow very appealing.

erikun
2013-09-04, 10:27 PM
I don't really have much that old. Vampire: The Masquerade is 1991, and while I do have AD&D1e books I've never ran or played a campaign.

While RuneQuest has been around since 1978, I'm just looking at it now and so that probably doesn't count either. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2013-09-05, 12:44 AM
My favorite is either Basic D&D, it's what I got started on and I'll always have fond memories of, or 2e which I've only played rarely but introduced me to Planescape, Spelljammer, and Dark Sun, three settings I still love to this day (one of which is the only official setting I've really played).

Also isn't this in the wrong forum? Wouldn't you get more people in the Role-Playing forum instead of the Homebrew one, or are you specifically looking for the opinions of people who homebrew?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-09-05, 10:14 AM
My favorite is either Basic D&D, it's what I got started on and I'll always have fond memories of, or 2e which I've only played rarely but introduced me to Planescape, Spelljammer, and Dark Sun, three settings I still love to this day (one of which is the only official setting I've really played).

Also isn't this in the wrong forum? Wouldn't you get more people in the Role-Playing forum instead of the Homebrew one, or are you specifically looking for the opinions of people who homebrew?

I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread.

ironwizard
2013-09-06, 09:49 AM
2e AD&D. I still play it regularly, and it's the first system I ever played. I also like that it better forces Role-Playing as the primary method of accomplishing goals, as opposed to mechanical abilities. My games and characters all try to recapture that feel to this day.

(Can we get a mod in here to move the thread to the proper location?)

Black Jester
2013-09-06, 10:02 AM
Definitely World of Hârn respectively HârnMaster. I still find it astounding that in the 26 years since the first publication, Hârn has constantly remained one of the most detailed and most importantly most consistent of all RPG settings - and while the setting has been expanded and grown over the decades, I am not aware of any retcons to the original HârnWorld publication or other contradictions.
An while 1st edition HârnMaster is not the greatest system, it does what it is supposed to do without being too esoteric or complicated.

When it comes to best rule systems, well, the first edition of Gurps was also published in 1986. There have been several reworks of he rules, but the question of the best set of rules is actually solved since then.