PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to help me with build ideas?

pso_zeldaphreak
2013-09-04, 09:25 PM
I have a duo planned for a future campaign I'm creating - a hulking, massive barbarian, complete with greataxe (ideally a size larger) and his friend/handler type. I was originally thinking bard for the handler, but a sorceror would work too (something primarily Cha-based, I was thinking him walking around with his 6'8 barb friend for intimidation purposes). Definitely chaotic neutral for the both of them.

As far as combat goes, I was thinking the goomba-stompingest barbarian I could manage (leap attack etc). Not sure about the other guy - I was kinda thinking he'd get thrown into a tree for safety before the barbarian rages.

Any ideas? And feel free to make them extra-cheesy, these are "bad guys" after all.

mattie_p
2013-09-04, 09:35 PM
Thrown in a tree for safety? That screams frenzied berserker to me (for the barbarian).

pso_zeldaphreak
2013-09-04, 09:37 PM
Thrown in a tree for safety? That screams frenzied berserker to me (for the barbarian).

Yes! Sorry, I meant to add that in. XD Obviously that aspect is not necessary without FB, but I like the idea of having that as an adversary, plus I get to play the FB I've always wanted to without having to worry about pissing off everyone at the table.

John Longarrow
2013-09-04, 10:05 PM
What level are you looking for and how many ways to annoy the party do you want?

pso_zeldaphreak
2013-09-04, 10:09 PM
10ish for now, although they'll get reused at later levels in another campaign/minadventure.

As many as reasonable. I DO want them to be recurring, and definitely not pushovers. An idea I was toying with was having the BBEG hire the pair as primary henchman, so they would make contact a number of times (before the duo ups and leaves to live another day, most likely).

Edit: Is there a reasonable way to wield a Large greataxe? Or am I stuck with Monkey Grip?

John Longarrow
2013-09-04, 10:27 PM
Two words...
Pixie Warlock.

After three levels go sorcerer. 3 levels warlock, 4 levels sorcerer, then theurge baby theurge! Eldritch Theurge is on fire!

Most parties have an issue dealing with a giant wall of frenzy rushing them. Toss in a pixie blasting them (to get them to come in range of the charging ball of berserk first) and you'll have a really tough fight.

mattie_p
2013-09-04, 10:36 PM
Edit: Is there a reasonable way to wield a Large greataxe? Or am I stuck with Monkey Grip?

Blarg. Monkey Grip is terrible. Be a Goliath (from races of stone) and take the mountain rage racial substitution level at level 1. Literally become large when your NPC rages.

pso_zeldaphreak
2013-09-04, 10:36 PM
Hm. I can probably change the character idea around some to manage that (off the top of my head, I'm thinking the scariest Link/Navi you've ever seen). Any other ideas? I'd like a good setup for a human caster just in case.

I'm sad that I reread War Chanter and realized it doesn't incite a rage, but a sort of second power attack.

Edit: Actually it seems that Goliath has Powerful Build anyways, so I wouldn't even need to take the Mountain Rage to wield the Large weapon.

I'm not totally clear on how the racial levels work... Would it still be possible to grab the Spirit Lion Totem pounce from Complete Champ while also taking Mountain Rage?

pso_zeldaphreak
2013-09-05, 09:26 PM
Two words...
Pixie Warlock.

After three levels go sorcerer. 3 levels warlock, 4 levels sorcerer, then theurge baby theurge! Eldritch Theurge is on fire!

Most parties have an issue dealing with a giant wall of frenzy rushing them. Toss in a pixie blasting them (to get them to come in range of the charging ball of berserk first) and you'll have a really tough fight.

I've never played a warlock (or even a sorceror that wasn't stupidly obsessed with fire), so I'm not even remotely sure how I'd build that.

John Longarrow
2013-09-05, 10:10 PM
For the build, assuming a 32 point buy, I'd start with STR 14, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 14. End this gives you a 10/22/14/20/14/20 for stats.

3 levels of warlock give you a 2d6 ranged touch attack at will, detect magic at will, +1 to your DR, 2 invocations, 2 BAB and a strong will save. The two invocations I'd take would be eldritch spear (increases blast range to 250) and see the unseen (free darkvision and see invisibility).

4 levels of sorcerer gives you spells with a good charisma.

The theurge lets you advance your sorcerer and warlock together. You get more invocations, more powerful invocations, and of course more sorcerer levels.. at the 1st and 3rd levels you get new invocations with the later being a more powerful invocation. The first invocation I'd grab would either be entropic warding or Earthen Grasp. First to make it even harder to hit/track me, second so I can create grappling arms from the ground. The big invocation I'd go for at the 3rd level of Theurge would be either THe Dead Walk (animate dead at will) or Voracious Dispelling (Dispel magic + damage).

The trick is you use the big meatsack to pound on people. Little evil gets to run around and just ruin peoples day while attacking from invisibility. Not intended to be the big damage dealer. More intended to mess with spell casters.

Mutazoia
2013-09-05, 10:17 PM
Two words...
Pixie Warlock.

Yeah....great....and he can name them "Master-Blaster" and the players can fight them in some sort of thunderously loud, dome shaped arena....

pso_zeldaphreak
2013-09-05, 11:47 PM
Yeah....great....and he can name them "Master-Blaster" and the players can fight them in some sort of thunderously loud, dome shaped arena....

But...who run barter town?

DR27
2013-09-06, 01:20 AM
Maybe use song of the white raven bard/crusader as the "handler?" Would give you lots of options for giving the barbarian extra oomph and actions.