PDA

View Full Version : Getting more AoOs

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-09-04, 10:45 PM
Is there any feat, item, or other game option that increases the amount of attacks of opportunity a character may make in a given round, other than Combat Reflexes? A lot of battlefield control options available to mundanes take advantage of strength (tripping, Stand Still), and a high dexterity might not always be feasible on such a build.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-04, 10:53 PM
Robilar's Gambit might be what you're looking for. See also Karmic Strike.

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-09-04, 11:08 PM
That's not really what I'm looking for; I want something like Combat Reflexes that gives more potential AoOs/round. Robilar's Gambit and Karmic Strike allow more AoOs to be made per round, up to the character's maximum; I'm looking for something to increase my maximum. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Beleron
2013-09-04, 11:17 PM
You can just buff up your dex.

Deophaun
2013-09-04, 11:35 PM
Bracers of Opportunity (MIC) gives you an extra AoO 2/day.

Roog
2013-09-04, 11:36 PM
Bracers of Opportunity (2300 GP, Magic Item Compendium). Gain another AoO 2/day.

herrhauptmann
2013-09-05, 01:06 AM
Improved/greater combat reflexes. Get iteratives on your AOOs. From dragon magazine.

Also doublehit from mini handbook (I think) for the dual wielders.

justiceforall
2013-09-05, 01:15 AM
The Knight Protector prestige class I believe gives you additional AoOs.

Suffice to say its not a great prestige class... but there you go.

Firechanter
2013-09-05, 02:28 AM
The Knight Protector prestige class I believe gives you additional AoOs.

Suffice to say its not a great prestige class... but there you go.

Oh, that's a very good call! Now that I look at it, it's actually a pretty good PrC. It just has a stupid entry tax, but that's early-days 3.5 PrCs for you (and some latter-days ones aren't better in that regard).
If you get that covered, it should mesh awesomely with an ubercharger build: as long as keep oneshotting stuff, you keep making 5' steps and cleaving. Pick up a way to re-roll on a Nat1, and you can plough through mook hordes in a single round.

I spontaneously had to think of this: *youtube* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EmTz7EAYLrs#t=351)

And you need just 3 levels of the PrC for that. The bonus AoOs come at levels 6 and 9, but if you go that far, it adds to the defensive capabilities. Also note that as per RAW / FAQ, you _can_ Cleave on an AoO. Though I don't know if those Cleave attempts count against your AoO limit or are just free attacks.

Hytheter
2013-09-05, 02:43 AM
Improved/greater combat reflexes. Get iteratives on your AOOs. From dragon magazine.

Also doublehit from mini handbook (I think) for the dual wielders.

Robilar's Gambit might be what you're looking for.

These feats all have Combat Reflexes as a pre-requisite, which kinda defeats the point...

Firechanter
2013-09-05, 03:15 AM
These feats all have Combat Reflexes as a pre-requisite, which kinda defeats the point...

Why? The OP didn't ask to get around Combat Reflexes completely; as I understand he just wants to get more AoOs out of it without investing big in his Dex. Which is perfectly reasonable.

If you are a Fighter type and wear heavy armour, you won't want to have a natural Dex much higher than 12. 13 to qualify for ComRef, bump it up to 14 if you can spare the build point, but that's really it. So it would be nice to add more AoOs from some other source.

Elfinor
2013-09-05, 06:14 AM
The Psychic Warrior power Prowess (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/prowess.htm) explicitly gives you an extra AoO.

I'm not sure if these next ones 'count' for your purposes:
Snap Kick (ToB) may work for getting an extra unarmed strike on top of an AoO, depending on your interpretation of the feat's wording.

Rapid Counter (Diamond Mind 5 Counter) is an attack that can be made whenever you could make an AoO, but is technically not an AoO.

Other Counters (and Spells/Powers) can give off-turn attacks, but that's the only Counter I'm aware of that's AoO-related. Are you after more out of turn melee attacks or AoO's specifically?

rollforeigninit
2013-09-05, 01:57 PM
3.0 weapon master from Sword & Fist and 3.5 Psychic Weapon Master all get wis bonus to on top of Combat Reflexes.

Person_Man
2013-09-05, 04:35 PM
Extra attacks, natural attacks, AoO (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127463)

AmberVael
2013-09-05, 07:26 PM
The Rapid Counter maneuver (Tome of Battle 65) can be used to either gain an extra AoO, or hit someone twice for provoking once. It is pretty cool.